Finally, my HZJ 78 on Bolt on Portals! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not fitting the double motor 8274 winch?

Be careful of running 70m+ on the portals. YOu can see the damage if you find flakes in the portals will indicate the problem.

If I was you I would also take spare axle seals to stop the diff oil coming through to the portals if they leak on a trip.

Scuze my newbness, but what the hell are portals?

So glad I opened this thread...that is an AWESOME 78!! Those beadlocks look tough as nails too!!!:bounce:

So glad I opened this thread...that is an AWESOME 78!! Those beadlocks look tough as nails too!!!:bounce:

Big issue with these BEADLOCKS is the LOSS of AIR if you twist the tire and the non BEADLOCKED side lift of the RIM causing a MASSIVE loss of AIR. Recommended to run TUBES if using BEADLOCKS But I believe not possible due to the BOLTS rubbing the TUBE. Hence have to consider BEADLOCKS both side.

Also Balancing the tire is an issue.

I use TRUCK TUBES and no BEADLOCKS (Poor mans BEADLOCKS but very effective) until I source the inflatable BEADLOCKS from OZ again (small inner tube wrapped in NYLON to lock the BEAD to the RIM).

What did TIBUS charge you for the portals as a matter of Interest please as this is the BEST option for a 75/78. Portals from TIBUS or REAL Volvo Portals if you need massive ground clearance in swampy or deeply rutted tracks which is the BANE of 75/78's.

Last edited:
Very nice troopy and mods you have there.

Were did you get those wide wheel arch flares or what company makes them.

> Not fitting the double motor 8274 winch?

Will get the new double motor winch from tibus later this year:
TW 16400 Winch
I saw the prototype, looks very promising and fits perfect on my front bumper.

> Be careful of running 70m+ on the portals. YOu can see the damage if you find flakes in the portals will indicate the problem.

Not a problem with tibus portals. I took a look at the Defender from Robert Kranz who drove over 100.000 miles with the same bolt on portals without any problems. Also I took a ride with Tibus own Defender with V8 8.1L and we both drove 210 km/h on german Autobahn :-()

> Big issue with these BEADLOCKS is the LOSS of AIR if you twist the tire and ...

Not a problem at all. These Beadlocks are Double Beadlocks from Hutchinson: Hutchinson Industries - Home

> Were did you get those wide wheel arch flares or what company makes them.

They were very hard to find. Ask Dave Stedman from japan4x4, he will get you these.

For the price for the Bolt on Portals please ask Tibus Offroad as I don't know the final price.

Happy cruising,
Olaf

Ahhhhh, yes.

Are you still running the std suspention height in the troopy.
What happened to the back sliding window

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom