Japeth the Blue Goat- Hillbilly 62 Expedition Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, here it goes. My first build thread.

Background I suppose first?
This thread is for my 90 FJ62. I purchased this one in March from my buddy. I owned another 62, and it seemed the time had come to finally do more to it than just try to keep up with some of the maintenance. There are a number of threads and posts related to the gold 89 FJ62 "Ol Yeller," the most informative being:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/expedition-builds/259636-medical-charity-expedition-build-questions.html

As the story goes, I am working on a cruiser for using to haul medical supplies and other relief items to remote clinics, aid orgs, etc. Ol Yeller helped us take a large load of medical supplies to a medical clinic in SE Kentucky a few years ago. She helped me volunteer to take staff to a local hospital during snowstorms.

As I still plan to do more trips to the Appalachians and along the east coast, my next big plan is to make a return trip via LC to Copper Canyons in SW Chihuahua. While the old 62 could make the trip, I wanted to get a little more work under her belt to make sure it would be well prepared for that kind of trip, as well as making her a little more capable and comfortable for the trip.

My friend from Baltimore (when we still lived there) had also bought a 62 because he liked mine so much. His had 100k more miles than mine, but the body was in a little better shape and had an OME kit and full ConFer rack.
He owns a body shop, so he had the body work completed and repainted. It sat for nearly a year until I called him up about getting my gold cruiser patched up and painted. He offered to sell me his for less than it would cost me to get mine repaired.

That started the next chapter of the Medical Charity 62 Build :).

Next step was making her pretty on the inside :p.
For that I gave Cam at Iron Pig a call. With the last truck, I was able to do a lot of work myself. I started a new job (and moved to VA) about a year ago, and I no longer have a nice shop overflowing with tools I can't afford. So I needed a head start on the drivetrain work.

While, the beginning of the build thread may be slightly lame due to the lack of my own "building," but at least I can get the thread started with some nice pictures??

IPOR started a week ago with the prep work. Next week the drivetrain starts to go in the truck.
To make the truck more powerful and ever so slightly more fuel efficient, the engine will be a turn key 5.3L Vortec. Behind the Vortec will be an H55F and a newly-rebuilt manual transfer case from an 85 FJ60.

I had planned on going the diesel route, but as the main international driving I plan to do now is in Mexico a Chevy engine will be very easy to get parts for. And it should end up being a little more cost effective in the long run. Well, here are a few pics to get started...

1: Just dropped it off at IPOR
2&3: In the shop with Vortec
62 at IPOR.jpg
IMAG0626.jpg
IMAG0630.jpg

1: H55F and 60 transfer case
2: Some friends in the shop ;p
3: 2F and 3F with A440 and transfer case coming home. Anybody need some parts??!!
IMAG0627.jpg
IMAG0624.jpg
IMAG0633.jpg

Pictures of my other 62. Guess I'll be putting up a sale or trade add soon for her and a pile of parts.
IMAG0522.jpg
IMG00093-20111117-0801.jpg

Last one for tonight-
close up of the paint colors before driving it from Baltimore to Norfolk to Fredericksburg :)
IMG_8470.jpg

oooh this is going to be a great truck!!

Cost a pretty penny fr the conversion I imagine...??

oooh this is going to be a great truck!!

Cost a pretty penny fr the conversion I imagine...??

Yes, I makes me cry sometimes. But need it done right and sooner than later.
I justify it a little by the fact that when done I will have a complete, new drivetrain that will be ready for 10 more years. It's still cheaper than buying a new 4runner...and I like it a lot more better :)

Sweet ride. Any better pics of that new paint job? Looks like two-tone blue?

Will try to find a few earlier pics and post. It had a factory two tone with that silvery-blue on top (had an 89 4runner the same color) and a darker blue on the bottom.
My buddy picked two colors that are a little more blue than grey for the repaint. I really really like it! I'm more of a white or desert tan cruiser guy...but it looks great. In fact, I bought sliders just to be sure I don't wreck the rockers :).

While I'm sitting in the Atlanta airport, I might as well mention some of the junk I've bought for the build and a few things that have been done:
Mods at purchase
-Jeep TJ front seats
-Toyota second battery tray (will install second batt with marine relay later)
-OME kit with 33x10.50 BFG MTs
-Full ConFer rack...old school baby!

Think that's it for now.

Parts awaiting install
-ARB front bumper
-4plus rear bumper with jerry holder
-Safari snorkel, installed but not connected
-may steal the winch from the other 62?
-MAF rock sliders

Post up some pics from under the hood once the V-8 is sitting there...along with the details. I'm always interested in new solutions.

Not exactly part of the cruiser build...but its part of the reason for the build:
Had to fly to the Gulf coast for a job this weekend and took advantage of a rental hatchback and half a day of free time and drove to Slidell, LA this morning after raiding Sam's Club for bottled water, food, and towels (a request for volunteer workers staying in a church). Doesn't hold as much as my cruiser for sure! But hopefully helps a little bit for folks dealing with home damage and high water that hasn't subsided yet in a lot of areas.

ForumRunner_20120903_172457.jpg
ForumRunner_20120903_172457.jpg

Not exactly part of the cruiser build...but its part of the reason for the build:
Had to fly to the Gulf coast for a job this weekend and took advantage of a rental hatchback and half a day of free time and drove to Slidell, LA this morning after raiding Sam's Club for bottled water, food, and towels (a request for volunteer workers staying in a church). Doesn't hold as much as my cruiser for sure! But hopefully helps a little bit for folks dealing with home damage and high water that hasn't subsided yet in a lot of areas.

View attachment 670446

Good work!:cheers:

I'm looking forward to the next EOE run. Hopefully I'll be able to go!

Got a few teaser pictures from Iron Pig today. Haven't seen the cruiser in a few months, so it was much appreciated.
New Vortec in place and nearly completed:
DSCF7003.jpg
DSCF7004.jpg

And two more: 1) new MAF rear bumper and 2) where's my ugly 62 shifter!??
DSCF7017.jpg
DSCF7019.jpg

Good work!:cheers:

I'm looking forward to the next EOE run. Hopefully I'll be able to go!

Hopefully she will be done next week sometime.
As we talked about today, I'm hoping to get some things together and take a load of stuff up to Atlantic City this weekend or early next week.
https://www.acrescuemission.org/hurricanesandyupdate

Unfortunately the cruiser won't be ready by then :(. If it doesn't work out for this weekend, I had thought about waiting a couple weeks and taking a load of Thanksgiving food items, frozen turkeys, canned side items, stuffing, etc up to a food pantry or shelter. If that is better, my blue goat may be ready :)

"You've come to the right Goat!" :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom