ROTM: Landcruiserjunky's Blue Pony Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The Beginning

It all started when my dad was a senior in high school and one of his buddies drove their dad's brand new fj40 to school: it was love at first sight. Fast forward a few years, my dad was searching for a car to use whenever they were state side (My parents have been in Brazil for almost 30 years) and came across a landcruiser add in the paper. He went to look at it but much to his surprise it wasn't a "jeep" style but a wagon. Realizing his wife would approve a 4 door wagon over a toy, he drove it home that day. That was 1985.

first.jpg

Our first trip to Yellowstone in 1991

second.jpg third.jpg

Shortly after this trip my dad went to Alcan Springs in Grand Junction and had custom springs made.​
first.jpg
second.jpg
third.jpg

Last edited:
At this point, my parents (along with my two sisters and I) were still living in Brazil. The 60 stayed parked at my Grandmother's house in Colorado, but whenever we were state side, our family was packed into the 60.

4th.jpg

fifth.jpg
4th.jpg
fifth.jpg

Last edited:
While towing a Uhaul trailer in 2004, the trailer jackknifed and dented the driver's side quarter panel revealing a ton of rust.

6.jpg

The Resto
beginning 06/2006

I had just moved from Brazil to Tennessee to go to school. Everyone in my family assumed I'd use the 60 as my college car so I took it upon myself to make something of it. My first goal was to remove ALL rust.

7.jpg
(those are actually the quarter panels in the back)

I tracked down a pair of brand new OEM quarter panels and a new OEM tailgate. Then came the repaint and frame off restoration. Supporting myself and my new landcruiser addiction, I was still using disposable cameras (read too addicted to spend money on a digital camera). I cannot remember for the life of me what blue I used but it looks identical to the factory color and turned out amazing.

8.jpg

6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

Last edited:
8.5.jpg

20 years had taken a toll on the interior of the 60. It didn't look like Katrina, but evidence of a family of 5 was present. I couldn't find any OEM Toyota carpets and I was considering one of Sor's kits ( I know I know, I was naive...) until a buddy referred me to a local guy who did a great job for really cheap. It matched my door panels perfectly.

9.jpg

10.jpg
8.5.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg

Last edited:
The Build

It was only logical to do a lift before the bumpers. EVERYONE was going OME at the time but I noticed that within a few years, they'd go SOA afterwards. Since I had Alcan springs and my shocks were fine, I just skipped the OME and went SOA.

15.jpg

I picked up a set of 35x12.5 yokohoma MTs from a mudder in North Carolina. The rims that came with it look almost like the stock 60 rims. It was an interesting 18 hour road trip with 5 tires crammed in the back.

16.jpg

I added one each spacers to the front to keep down rubbing.

17.jpg

15.jpg
16.jpg
17.jpg

Last edited:
After going SOA, I found a great deal on a safari snorkel from rocky-road and I had to have the Toyota non-usa airfilter top... As I was finishing the installation, I realized what everyone was talking about in regards to the air assembly/smog components. I went poser for a month while I waited for my non-usa setup to arrive from Australia. It was a one :banana: to remove the air assembly and install the Australian version.

19.jpg

At the same time Expedition One posted in the 60 section that they had 3 trial run bumpers for sale. I managed to steal the only one that had a single hoop and was already powdercoated. It surpasses the ARB bumper standards (I have one on the fzj80)

20.jpg

Three days later I found Trail-Gears 67"sliders... Original Trail Gear thread--> HERE At the time I paid $88.00 plus $12 gusset kit and orders got free shipping if they were $100. WAAAAY too cheap not to take the risk and they have taken some serious abuse. I met Sean (sk8salomon) while getting them powdercoated.

21.jpg
19.jpg
20.jpg
21.jpg

Last edited:
Smittybilt was running a deal for their line of XRC winches ($274 shipped to your door). A lot of people (the Warn and Ramsey Nazis and the "if you don't spend 2k on a winch it'll leave you stranded" people) just labeled them as trash. But as we're finding out, the XRCs are holding up really well out there.

This is how it sat with the front Expedition One bumper with a 8k winch + trail gear 67" sliders + safari snorkel with toyota prefilter

22.jpg

I found a SROR rear bumper from Crazy88. Ideally I wanted dual spin outs with a tire carrier and a ladder on the other side. BUT the price was right and after another 14 hour road trip I had a rear bumper.

SROR rear swingout bumper + 69" hilift + spare 35" + 2 nato gas cans
Also note the large non-usa mirrors...

23.jpg

I've always yearned for half doors. Not tube doors, not no doors, but HALF doors. I did some research, kling-on and brokenparts seemed to be the only ones to have dabbled in the black magic. I found a set and a half of doors in atlanta and went to work. Original Half Door build thread -----> HERE

24.jpg

Also note the hella 1000s on the front that weren't hooked up at the time the picture was taken.
22.jpg
23.jpg
24.jpg

Last edited:
Interior Mods:

Installed a Sony cd/radio/aux input with new front/rear speakers and of course a non-usa grab bar . I also have a cool factory inclinometer (no pictures).

25.jpg

I absolutely hated the short console the 60 series have. I didn't want to dish out for a tuffy and I had been eying a smittybilt... I decided it was my turn to pioneer something that hadn't ever been done. Original Thread -----> HERE

26.jpg

Fire Extinguisher under the passenger seat

27.jpg

25.jpg
26.jpg
27.jpg

Last edited:
The carpet that was installed after the original was worn away was disgusting: stained, smelled like mold, and was shedding. SO I ripped it out and rhino lined the entire inside floor. I did it at the same I did the console. Another one :banana: job

28.jpg

Conclusion

If I was to do it all over again, I would do the restoration last. There is nothing like wheeling with a built mint condition 60. WAAAY too much anxiety and stress worrying about body damage. But the 60 is exactly where I want it to be: rust free and super reliable. Other then oil changes and de-smogging it I've done no repairs. The only thing I plan on doing is 4.88 for my gears. I was planning on doing a cummins 4bt conversion but I couldn't justify tearing out a perfectly running 2F. So all my diesel $$$ went to......

29.jpg

I'm moving to Brazil and getting married on March 19 on the beach. I definitely plan on making unobtainium Brazil parts (mostly fj40 stuff) like bezels and bandi snorkels to Mud. There will be a new group buy bandi snorkel thread by the end of the month. ---> HERE

bandi snorkel.jpg

28.jpg
29.jpg
bandi snorkel.jpg

Last edited:
Present projects

DSC06424.jpg

Four years ago my parents upgraded their stateside vehicle to a 1996 80 series(F&R Locked). Since they spend on average ten out out of the twelve months in Brazil, I usually alternate between the 60 and 80. I just need to find some 33" tires to make it a unstoppable daily driver and actually install everything. I've slowly been collecting parts for it:

DSC06422.jpg
-2.5 old man emu lift (850 in the front and 863 in the rear)
-Slee Front 25mm spacers

DSC06419.jpg

-10k Promark winch ($270 off ebay, I will give a review once I've used it)

DSC06424.jpg
DSC06422.jpg
DSC06419.jpg

Last edited:
DSC06421.jpg
-ARB (I bought it off a guy in Nashville for $320, BRAND NEW it had been sitting in his backyard for two years)

DSC06425.jpg
-ARB indicator kit

About three years ago I started getting the 40 itch for a hunting/skiing/vacation rig for whenever I'm in Colorado (the 60 is in TN). Unfortunately I never found anything reasonable that wasn't half eaten by rust, owned by Bubba or was 15k. I was definitely not looking forward to the 13 mpg and rust so I started looking into Suzuki Samurais.....

Plans Include:
SOA + 3 inch springs
Front Calmini winch bumper
Rear Tire swingout + winch
33x9.5s
burnt orange paint
Roll Cage

30.JPG

But the samurai project is on the back burner because of the wedding and its just a hunting rig..
DSC06421.jpg
DSC06425.jpg
30.JPG

Last edited:
The Build

It was only logical to do a lift before the bumpers. EVERYONE was going OME at the time but I noticed that within a few years, they'd go SOA afterwards. Since I had Alcan springs and my shocks were fine, I just skipped the OME and went SOA.

View attachment 481595

I picked up a set of 35x12.5 yokohoma MTs from a mudder in North Carolina. The rims that came with it look almost like the stock 60 rims. It was an interesting 18 hour road trip with 5 tires crammed in the back.

View attachment 481596

I added one each spacers to the front to keep down rubbing.

View attachment 481597

that last pic scares the cr@p outa me. That said I've done similar on my old samurai, too damned tall to get the tire off anyother way.

nice though other wise, I envy those that have been riding around in 60's for years, first 1 I ever rode in was my own, though my mom told me my dad had a 55 back in the day

that last pic scares the cr@p outa me. That said I've done similar on my old samurai, too damned tall to get the tire off anyother way.

There really is no other way with something that sits so high but whenever I work with a hilift, I always remember that one "close call" we've all had...

There really is no other way with something that sits so high but whenever I work with a hilift, I always remember that one "close call" we've all had...

Amen to that! Congrats on the engagement and beautiful rig!!!

What the heck is that on top of the snorkel? details and a closeup....

very cool! always like the way your rig looked. great back story. good luck in brazil and congrats!

how about 60 series snorkels in brazil?

clint

What the heck is that on top of the snorkel? details and a closeup....

OEM Toyota pre-cleaner (from the middle east)

how about 60 series snorkels in brazil?

clint

:frown: Unfortunately Brazil only has hiluxes and every variant of the FJ40. I guess I'll have to make due... :D

Finally someone took me off the top!

Nice story and a clean cruiser to go with it!

I like the height and stance of it.

Gotta love the 861 :banana:

Congrats on the engagement!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom