Out with the Semi-Old A440-In with the H55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've taken the plunge and took out the A440. So this afternoon I removed everything and will replace it with the H55 over the next couple weeks.

Taking it out wan't too difficult even without a tranny jack. Remove the shifters, wiring, and fluids. Then, I slowly lowered it with three bottle jacks and seperated it from the engine. 2 jacks for the tranny and TC, and one to keep the engine supported. I also used a heavy duty strap from the cab and slowly let out tension. We lowered it onto a palate and pulled it right out from under the truck.

It was starting to get dark and couldn't see and figure out how to remove the torque converter. I'm sure there are bolts but that will have to wait for another day.:frown:

I'm posting up some pictures to aid the next victim in their quest for a better tranny, the H55.

At the end I'll post up a parts lists and costs.
IMG_1888.jpg
IMG_1889.jpg
_MG_1895.jpg

Subscribed. This is up on the project list for me as well.

To get the Torque Converter out, you need to take the bolts out of the flex plate (toward the motor)

Last edited:
Cruiserdrew, Thanks.

So on the engine side there are a couple covers that the bolts are under. I'll check that out tomarrow.

Another question-are you going to re-use the transfer case, or use a transfer case out of an FJ60?

I'll be reusing the transfer case. The rest of the parts are from a donor 84', thanks to (elsiepoo)Sott Rawlings in Utah.

Last edited:
Very cool and very subscribed :popcorn:

Ducks-- To me it is simpler to use the TC the same way and set up as it is now, especially since I had it rebuilt only a couple of years ago.

Tapage--I already have the clutch pedal and the new mount for the clutch/brake/gas.

I will be doing the same here in a few short weeks except I have a twin stick kit going in. Between dirtgypsy and any other portland cruiser freak that shows up, we should have it done in a few days at the end of July. I'll be watching this thread...

Is that a giant dead bug in the center console? I'm just sayin', cause it looks like one. Anyhow, looking to do this also, so I will be following...

it looks like one of those new gulf coast mud bugs that are turning up in the gulf. I hope it doesn't turn out as bad as it looks.

To get the TC out, you need to take the bolts out of the flex plate (toward the motor)

Flex plate bolts? I just pulled a T-case off an A440 and its no different than pulling one from a manual gear box. I am using the 62 t-case on an H55 but converting it to manual shift levers. Sorry I hate the vacuum control.

Pismo62 Be sure to check the wear on the main transfer gear once you get the t-case apart. For some reason these wear out pretty badly on the auto's. I am replacing mine and it wasn't cheap. $200 plus dollars for a new gear. Just slip it onto the output from the H55 and if it rocks at all it needs replacing, the splines are worn out.

Tony

You do know that the crossmember mounts are no longer in the right place don't you?

Flex plate bolts? I just pulled a T-case off an A440 and its no different than pulling one from a manual gear box. I am using the 62 t-case on an H55 but converting it to manual shift levers. Sorry I hate the vacuum control.

Pismo62 Be sure to check the wear on the main transfer gear once you get the t-case apart. For some reason these wear out pretty badly on the auto's. I am replacing mine and it wasn't cheap. $200 plus dollars for a new gear. Just slip it onto the output from the H55 and if it rocks at all it needs replacing, the splines are worn out.

Tony

TC = "Torque Converter" relative to the conversation immediately preceeding.

Pismo62 is calling his t-case a TC in post #8 thats why I am confused.

Tony

WOOOO!

Subscribed!

Can't wait to get back home and start doing this. I'm hoping it doesn't take more than a few days with the help of a couple buddies of mine around Spokane.

You will find that the pedal bucket is the biggest pain in the butt to install. Yes you have to almost completely tear apart the dash to get the old one out and the new one in. Just takes time.

Tony

You will find that the pedal bucket is the biggest pain in the butt to install. Yes you have to almost completely tear apart the dash to get the old one out and the new one in. Just takes time.

Tony

That'll be a fun one for me, too. My dash plastic is so brittle and broken in so many little spots, I don't think it'll easily survive being pulled more than just a couple more times.

OTOH, pulling all that and the steering column will give me an opportunity to replace that Ujoint in there......

You've done this conversion before right? Care to make a road trip to Spokane for a couple cases of beer? :D

TC=Transfer Case

The bug fortunately is only plastic, No bugs that size around here.

I spent a couple hours tonight working on the pedal bucket. What a major PITA. I finally got all the bolts out (the top right rear bolt is the toughest, behind the defroster vent) of the bucket, and it's loose but navigating it out looks impossible with removing more. I'm thinking I have to disconnect the steering colunm under the hood???? suggestions..:crybaby:

Also, I remove the torque converter, and flex plate. The bolts are axcessable on the engine side behind a plate on the drivers side. After removing the plate you can turn the converter and take out each bolt.

I'll keep updating as I move along.
IMG_1897.jpg
IMG_1898.jpg

Last edited:
I'm slowly working on the same project, except I'm swapping frames at the same time. It will take me more than a weekend. I did install the pedal bucket already though, as well as the master cylinder. I removed the entire dash, all the ducting on top including the defrosters, and of course, to remove the defrosters you need to remove some of the dash supports.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom