FJ60 Belt routing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

a/c belt goes around the ac and the crank
2nd belt goes alt, power steering, crank
3rd belt goes water pump, air pump, crank

US and Canada 2F engines seem to have different accessory and therefore belt locations. Maybe that's why the water pump pulley is set up for two belts.
belt routing.JPG

I wonder what size the crank to water pump belt is for the Canadian spec?

I wonder what size the crank to water pump belt is for the Canadian spec?

There isn't one. The belt also goes to either the alternator or power steering pump. There isn't a belt for just the crank and water pump - there would be no way to tension the belt.

on early 2F's without power steering, 2 belts ran the water pump.

There isn't one. The belt also goes to either the alternator or power steering pump. There isn't a belt for just the crank and water pump - there would be no way to tension the belt.

Yep, I see it now that I paid a little more attention to the diagram.

this is right on time...i rerouted by belts 2 years ago due to a seized smog pump. planned on intalling the "new" pump and new belts tomorrow!

Man I have been looking for the answer to my question. Changing out head gasket and radiator and want to put new water pump on during it all but see the pump ran to the crank and no obvious way to adjust it. any idea what happened. I have never had on road since I owned it and want to get it right while all tore down

Check your fan clutch, if it's locking up too long or too hard it will cause the belt to slip and squell, most often, it's above 2500rpms, in 1st, 2nd gear.

I had the same issue, drove me nuts because I had put a new OEM FC on about 20k ago, but it seems like it failed and was staying locked up too long and would actaully not fully disengage. Got an Aisin from Amazon for $70 and it's like driving a new car.

About to replace belts on my 84 fj60 with smog pump and AC and the current configuration doesn’t match the US diagrams... firstly the cooling compressor and alternator locations are reversed, alt below compressor above both on the left. Secondly there is no third belt for the AC, the AC is being run on the same belt as the alternator and smog pump.

Questions:
1. Anybody seen this kind of config before?
2. Worth trying to correct or reroute anything? AC/Alt belt squawks on occasion after desert/dust trails when cold, seems like not that much pulley contact with the alt in line with it.
3. Looks like the Crank only has two pulleys but the third may just be under a shroud. Common?

Any advice appreciated!

most likely you have a rig that didn't come with a/c from the factory and was added later.
you probably only have a 2 groove crank pulley.

if it is all working, it is easier to leave as is

Got a follow-up question to this thread. I had trouble finding the right belts for my '83 FJ60 when I bought it a year ago, so I had them replaced at a shop recently. Now I have a squealing noise in the power steering belt at extreme right and left, and assumed the belt just stretched a little and needs to be tightened up. However, upon closer look I see that the belt configuration isn't right, and that's why the proper belts didn't fit in the first place. A PO has put a spacer in the alternator bracket so that it sits backward a little further and no longer lines up with the power steering pump. So there is one belt for the alternator and another for power steering.

I have learned the hard way (a couple times) that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. However...I want to correct it the right way, by restoring the original configuration, rather than overtightening something that ain't lined up right anyway.

Any thoughts on why a PO would do something like this and if there is anything else to consider before putting it back to original?

IMG_20240102_132747811.jpg

IMG_20240102_132910342.jpg

Got a follow-up question to this thread. I had trouble finding the right belts for my '83 FJ60 when I bought it a year ago, so I had them replaced at a shop recently. Now I have a squealing noise in the power steering belt at extreme right and left, and assumed the belt just stretched a little and needs to be tightened up. However, upon closer look I see that the belt configuration isn't right, and that's why the proper belts didn't fit in the first place. A PO has put a spacer in the alternator bracket so that it sits backward a little further and no longer lines up with the power steering pump. So there is one belt for the alternator and another for power steering.

I have learned the hard way (a couple times) that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. However...I want to correct it the right way, by restoring the original configuration, rather than overtightening something that ain't lined up right anyway.

Any thoughts on why a PO would do something like this and if there is anything else to consider before putting it back to original?

View attachment 3523220

View attachment 3523221

the alt should line up with the PS
you need a smog pump eliminator assembly or a gutted smog pump.

the alt/PS belt does not go to the water pump
the smog pump belt goes to the waterpump
the current PS belt is too narrow

the alt should line up with the PS
you need a smog pump eliminator assembly or a gutted smog pump.

the alt/PS belt does not go to the water pump
the smog pump belt goes to the waterpump
the current PS belt is too narrow
Thank you, this is super helpful. All the smog stuff is removed so I guess this was a workaround by PO.
If anybody can point me to a used smog pump, please holla.

My guess is they got a new/reman alternator at some point and it wasn’t the correct one and they made it work however they could (bottom mounting ears are different depending on year). That lower rear ear looks cracked/broken.

If you decide you need the air pump to get belts right, I’ve got a gutted and capped smog pump from my 87 that’s yours for the cost of shipping if you want it. Got a little power steering fluid on it but didn’t make any noises before I removed it.

My guess is they got a new/reman alternator at some point and it wasn’t the correct one and they made it work however they could (bottom mounting ears are different depending on year). That lower rear ear looks cracked/broken.

If you decide you need the air pump to get belts right, I’ve got a gutted and capped smog pump from my 87 that’s yours for the cost of shipping if you want it. Got a little power steering fluid on it but didn’t make any noises before I removed it.
Yep, I noticed that crack, too.
Will message you about the smog pump, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom