Cibie Oscar Driving Lights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Cibie is pronounced like the letters, C-B-A. It's French. I've had the headlights for awhile, e-code 7" for LHD. You can get them with city lights in them, but these don't have them.

The driving lights I got used from Cruiser Corps a while back. They were very popular on rally cars in the 80s, but you don't see them much anymore.

cibies67.jpg

cibies64.JPG
cibies67.jpg
cibies64.JPG

I've been trying to figure out an elegant way to mount them where I wanted them. These are 1 bolt brackets. The inboard end is jammed into the crack between the outboard bumper brackets and the top triangle braces. It's very solid in there. The brackets are angle iron. I made the first one out of flat stock and it was not solid enough to make my OCD happy. I used a couple big nuts to space them up 1/2" at the last minute.

coboes66.jpg cibies65.JPG
coboes66.jpg
cibies65.JPG

I saw a report comparision sometime ago from Australia. These were very highly rated lights. I asked around and was told they were obsolete, not made any more. Can they still be bought?

I would imagine that a set of new LED about 1/3 the size could best the dated Cibies...but nothing could match the cool factor :cheers:

With a 75w HID conversion there is no way any current LEDs could reach out as far, not that that matters when you're driving a 40.

I'm going to run them with stock bulbs, for the cool retro factor.

Think I have 6 pairs of Cibie's now, Oscar+ fogs(amber and clear) drivers, 175 amber fogs and drivers(way rare) 275's amber fogs. The widest beam pattern I have ever seen is the 175 fogs

got my 1at pair in 1982

I think Stern is about done, some of his stuff has been popping up on Ebay, and a Rover place has the H4 7"s and others in stock, same-ish price and the pics are right from Sterns web site
http://store.coventrywest.com/cgi/coventry.pl?CTGY=LIT975L

her is a link to an 1985 catalog
http://winktimber.com/vintagerally/gear/lights/cibie_catalog_1985.pdf

Around then, 1982, I had the large rectangular H4 headlights in my Dodge/Mitsubishi D50 with a pair of similarly-sized Cibie rectangular spot beams cut into the grille that came on with the high beams. It looked like I had the small quad headlights from a distance, but they were all the large ones. With 4x100w bulbs they put out a lot of light. I've got a picture somewhere with four white Cibie light covers on them. It was pretty badass looking.

$75 is a pretty great deal on those 7" round headlights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom