Mercedes Benz OM617 turbo-diesel engine conversion on a FJ 40 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone here done this conversion? Any opinions or sugestions on this type of conversion? Here is the website: 4x4labs.com. Thanks.

You'd be, more or less, a pioneer in unexplored territory. If you're going to do that, I'd look into pioneering a, International/Navistar 2.8 swap like the Land Rover guys do . . . 'course, the engine cost would increase by an order of magnitude.

couple pics
omto420-2x.jpg
omto420-10x.jpg

That is all off the 4x4 labs site. I think it's actually relatively concrete. I'm planning to do one into a mini truck relatively shortly. I actually have renewed confidence in the engine as it's a little tweakable... In a 40 even with big tires I think it'd do just great.. Hope it helps. Andre

That is all off the 4x4 labs site. I think it's actually relatively concrete. I'm planning to do one into a mini truck relatively shortly. I actually have renewed confidence in the engine as it's a little tweakable... In a 40 even with big tires I think it'd do just great.. Hope it helps. Andre

A local cruiserhead has like 4 of those engines and has been waiting on this adapter for years. I thought it may actually be done and for sale now. This adapter has been slow to market like the Orion was.

That vehicle shows is Luke's personal 40. I have been talking to them quite a bit about it and it is finally on the way. I would give them a ring for more specific info.

One good thing is that this engine is plentiful in the salvage yards and for much cheaper than other diesels engines and the turbo can be easily tweeked for more power. But I wonder how quiet is this diesel and how much MPG will it get?

One good thing is that this engine is plentiful in the salvage yards and for much cheaper than other diesels engines.
Are you in the USA? In my part of the world, these engines are either in cars on the road, or broken in the junkyard. People just drive them forever. And because a rebuild is even more expensive than a 2F, they go to the JY at 400K miles, completely worn out.

I drive crappy little VW/Volvo diesels because they are affordable, though not as sturdy.

One good thing is that this engine is plentiful in the salvage yards and for much cheaper than other diesels engines and the turbo can be easily tweeked for more power. But I wonder how quiet is this diesel and how much MPG will it get?

Diesel is 50% more expensive than regular around here nowadays. It would need to get 18mpg just to break even. Hippy diesel is even more.

A diesel engine conversion should never be expected to pay for itself. A diesel swap is done for the same reason as any other swap, cause it's what the driver wants. Diesels get better fuel consumption (longer range) and more slow speed tork (for offroad) and they run underwater & on their side. But they are not cheap to buy and maintain.

One good thing is that this engine is plentiful in the salvage yards and for much cheaper than other diesels engines and the turbo can be easily tweeked for more power.

This is what Luke Porter (the owner of 4x4 Labs)told me about this motor. Cuz if they have been hit or if the cost to repair the damage is more than the car is worth (which is usually not much cuz they are old models)than they either go to the salvage yard or they will sell the whole car for cheap. But yes it is true that they put a lot of miles on them and that is probobly the biggest challenge to find one with not too many miles.

While the MB is a MUCH better power plant than the comparable Nissan SD-33T, in the end you get the same thing. A relativly rare, obsolete, diesel that just about no one has parts on the shelf for. Ask me how I know, I used to own a diesel Scout. If you want one, go for it. I'll stick with the F/2F.

Not to derail this thread, but what is not so good about the nissan SD33T, or any of the SD22, SD25, SD33 engines? They seem sturdy in the 4 cyl datsun pickup trucks. Just wondering if they have an achilles heel?

I have that engine in my 1985 300D. There are lot of vehicles with that engine for sale. I occasionally see a beater for under 2K and a wrecker for under 1K.

Ive actually been wanting to do this for a number of years. I did have photo's with the engine from a 300D and the automatic transmission mocked up in a 40 series. This conversion has been done before.

There are two sources in Africa. One actually shows the adapter information on its website with the part number. The other was in South Africa but I lost the information. One of the guys on another 4x4 site was going to check into for me but I never heard anything from him even with me asking every other month.

And then there are the Cruisers in Brazil that have been using the Mercedes diesels longer then I have been alive. I tried to find out what transmission they used to mate up to the mbz diesel and if there were an adapter. But again nothing.

One of my friends in Canada has been converting 4wheel drives over to mbz diesels since I think the late 1990's. He uses the mercedes transmissions too with a toyota divorced transfercase.
And the conversion has been done over in the rover camp.

But I had mine set up for the FJ55. An old 300D tune out is nothing to laugh about. It will get up and go. I surprised my brother n law with a ride. It went out and go into traffic like a gas burner. That was at 7000 ft. Using the benz deisel out of a 300D, the benz automatic mated to the TLC tcase, and 33" tires and the engine would not really know the difference. It might as well think it were in th 300D still. The turbo's can be tuned to well above 150hp. But look at it as a 3B that has rpm's closer to a gas engine.

The oil sump might be an issue and a factory mercedes scavenger pump is very expensive. You can still modify the oil pan to move the sump.
The mercedes diesel have the vacuum pump at the front of the engine.

Also the Mercedes diesel engine are not as expensive as people think. The parts are easy to find and most or affordable. And mercedes also has the history from Dr. Diesel and they are the oldest manufacture or diesel engines. They will last over 300K easy.

Last edited:
Not to derail this thread, but what is not so good about the nissan SD33T, or any of the SD22, SD25, SD33 engines? They seem sturdy in the 4 cyl datsun pickup trucks. Just wondering if they have an achilles heel?

The nissan diesels are actually pretty good. The SD33T was also used in the International Scouts. Very rare trucks and worth money.
I spoke with a guy that sales fork lift engines and he had one of the nissan diesels in his 240Z.

The nissan diesels are actually pretty good. The SD33T was also used in the International Scouts. Very rare trucks and worth money.
I spoke with a guy that sales fork lift engines and he had one of the nissan diesels in his 240Z.
The inline 6 passenger engine is L24, L26, L28 (spark) or LD28 (diesel). A modern OHC engine, very similar to the mercedes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom