Toyota DOT 3 Brake Fluid Composition ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2001LC

SILVER Star
Threads
Does anybody know the: Composition & Information on Ingredients of Toyota brake fluids that was factory installed in 2001 or any year as well as what is on the Dealers shelf today?

The FSM & Owners Manual recommends industry standard: SAE J1703 or FMVSS No 116 DOT 3.

Toyota states in a TSB, their Brake fluid: "Toyota uses brake fluids containing polymers that act as lubricants for certain brake system components."
It goes onto say: "If replacement brake fluid is used that does not contain such polymers, or contain only small amounts, a part of the rubber seal (Brake Master Cylinder Cup) located at the rear of the brake master cylinder may become dry"

This TSB is for a specific MC cup of specific models, other than the series 100. But I for one, wonder how many brake lines, MC or Caliper rebuilds or replacements are the result of incompatible brake fluid effecting the rubber adversely.

Looking at a can of Brake fluid at the Toyota Dealer, I found it read: Part # 00475 -1BF03 DOT 3 Polyakylene Glycol Ether. This is obviously not enough info to determine what brand, other than Toyota, is usable (equivalent). To boot, Toyota brand sit on the shelf gathering dust and moisture in a plastic can for $5.00 a pint.

Hopefully someone can come up with the spec on the Toyota Brake fluid, I've tried and as of yet, have not found much.

I believe CCI IL Manufacture Corp. to be the maker of Toyota brake fluid. CCI Manufacturing :: Products :: Automotive Fluids :: Brake Fluid
SEE post # 18 in this thread for more info.

Edited: Toyota brake fluid that comes in vehicles made in Japan can not be imported into this Country, except in brake system. Don't top off Fluid or flush unless you must.

EDITED: 9/6/23:
Toyota no longer show who manufacture their brake fluid on the bottles.
Toyota/Lexus shops no longer use their own brake fluid, they use bulk. Toyota/Lexus are shops, seeing and unusually high number of brake master failures. Could brake fluid used after factory fill be a factor?

Last edited:
borate ester in DOT 3 :confused:

Picked up a flyer on Toyota DOT 3 which states: "using a unique borate ester combination"
Wouldn't that make it a DOT 4?

Interesting as StopTech indicates DOT 3 didn't have borate ester,

StopTech : Balanced Brake Upgrades :

"PROPERTY...........................DOT 3......................DOT 4...........................DOT 5
Dry BP (F)@ 0.0% H2O..............401.........................446...............................509
Wet BP (F)@ 3.7% H2O.............284.........................311...............................356
Chemical Composition...Glycol Ether Based.....Glycol Ether /Borate Ester.......Silicone Based

As a trailing note on the DOT ratings, if your car was designed for a particular type of fluid (especially prior to the development of DOT 4 fluids), you should make every attempt to stick with that fluid! For example, if your car was delivered with DOT 3 fluid, the internal components of the system (seals, brake hoses, and fittings for example) were specifically designed and tested for compatibility with DOT 3. Because DOT 4 fluids contain a different chemical composition, the system may not necessarily react in a positive fashion to the borate esters floating around in the mix"

Last edited:
you can get higher temp fluid in DOT 3,4, and 5.
-pegasusautoracing.

-AP 551 DOT 3.....shows 540 dry and 284 wet

Thanks for stopping by.

I'm very happy with the way my old DOT 3 fluid (2001 factory fluid) worked, looked and the condition of the seals, which I'd like to maintain.

But I've now become concern that changing (flushing) with any fluid, even Toyota's, possible adverse effect on the seals. As even Toyota has most likely changed it's formulation since 2001. For one they call it DOT 3 (brake fluid at the parts counter today) , but it has (reportedly) borate ester in it, which would make it a DOT 4 wouldn't it?

I understand the different temp fluid concept that Basically DOT 4 is higher temp rated than DOT 3 and so on, with some manufacture offering higher temp within each DOT rating. That, borate ester was added to DOT 4 and 5.1 to get these higher temp ratings. And with the DOT 5 being a silicone based brake fluid, only recommend when factory installed.

??????....What I'm really after here is the chemical break down of Toyota brake fluid "DOT 3" which was used as a fill at the Toyota factory around 2001. And that of the DOT 3 fluid that is currently at the Toyota parts counter....?????

Aftermarket DOT 3 got dark quick

I have a '04 Highlander V6 4WD, that is involved in the MC seal recall due to this issue. I had to replace both rear calipers due to slide pins being seized. Flushed and filled with brand name aftermarket DOT. Fluid hads gotten dark very quickly and is concerning me due too the fact that Toyota still does not have a fix for this. 12 oz of dusty containers of Toyota brake fuild is $6 at stealerships near me. There HAS to be a way to find out who makes this brake fluid for Toyota!:confused:

There HAS to be a way to find out who makes this brake fluid for Toyota!:confused:

When you get that figured out, find out who makes their antifreeze.

Even Toyota fluid is no guarantee.

From some of the stuff I read they were running the same MC in multiple models with some getting an OEM fluid from one vendor and others from a different vendor. One of the OEM fluids caused problems and so did some aftermarket fluids. All the fluids problem or no were DOT 3.

.....Flushed and filled with brand name aftermarket DOT. Fluid hads gotten dark very quickly and is concerning me due too the fact that Toyota still does not have a fix for this. ......:confused:

Hi shortlid and thanks for stopping by.

Your statement: "gotten dark very quickly" is something I'll be looking for, since I flushed with Gunk DOT 3 HD.

I am, more than curious, in what brand and DOT you used?
And
Does your manual state ONLY USE Toyota DOT X?

When you get that figured out, find out who makes their antifreeze.

That would be nice since we're paying ~$29.00 a gallon for red dye, ethylene glycol, diethylene glycol, organic acid salt and inorganic salt from who???, well they state the ingredients.

Even Toyota fluid is no guarantee.

From some of the stuff I read they were running the same MC in multiple models with some getting an OEM fluid from one vendor and others from a different vendor. One of the OEM fluids caused problems and so did some aftermarket fluids. All the fluids problem or no were DOT 3.

Hey NMuzj100 great to hear from you.

I agree as their fluid changes as does their supplers over time. Which is all the more reason Toyota should disclose their brake fluid composition.

I read about different fluids also from a link you provided me, thank you. I've also read that two different MC were used. Both statements were from journalist that interviewed Toyota media contact (or spinalist) Brian R. Lyons, IIRC.

Last edited:
Toyota position: Facts or Spin.

Toyota's position has been very clear "In its filing with U.S. regulators, Toyota said its brake fluids contain polymers that act as lubricants. If the wrong kind of brake fluid is added, a rubber seal in the brake master cylinder can dry out and curl,........."

I find this strange, I have personally seen seals: soften, swell and degrade causing fluid to darken, form improper fluids being added to the brake system. Never have I seen them dry out from fluids improper or not, nor has any of the Toyota or Lexus mechanics I known.

Toyota legal department and PR group are doing their jobs and has more than implied the issue is from: adding aftermarket fluid(s).

That said; the engineers have a solution that involves replace a "redesign MC" that is capable of handle different fluids. My guess it's just a new seal.

So what is the real culprit of failed seals _________ ?

A) A poorly made seal.

B) Incompatibility of various Toyota fluids.

C) Mixing in of aftermarket fluids.

D) Choice A & B

E) All of the above.

Brake fluid

I got some Toyota fluid from the back of the parts department. Bottle says made in USA right on it? Hope that can help me narrow it down to place of origin.

Toyota position: Facts or Spin.

Toyota's position has been very clear "In its filing with U.S. regulators, Toyota said its brake fluids contain polymers that act as lubricants. If the wrong kind of brake fluid is added, a rubber seal in the brake master cylinder can dry out and curl,........."

I find this strange, I have personally seen seals: soften, swell and degrade causing fluid to darken, form improper fluids being added to the brake system. Never have I seen them dry out from fluids improper or not, nor has any of the Toyota or Lexus mechanics I known.

Toyota legal department and PR group are doing their jobs and has more than implied the issue is from: adding aftermarket fluid(s).

That said; the engineers have a solution that involves replace a "redesign MC" that is capable of handle different fluids. My guess it's just a new seal.

So what is the real culprit of failed seals _________ ?

A) A poorly made seal.

B) Incompatibility of various Toyota fluids.

C) Mixing in of aftermarket fluids.

D) Choice A & B

E) All of the above.

When I got the fluid , the parts guy even seem to think that therewas more to this than just fluid issues .

Hi shortlid and thanks for stopping by.

Your statement: "gotten dark very quickly" is something I'll be looking for, since I flushed with Gunk DOT 3 HT.

I am, more than curious, in what brand and DOT you used?
And
Does your manual state ONLY USE Toyota DOT X?
Just read the owners manual it says and a quote "Fluid type: SAE J1703 or FMVSS No.116 DOT 3"

Just read the owners manual it says and a quote "Fluid type: SAE J1703 or FMVSS No.116 DOT 3"

Hi shortlid,

Thanks for the heads up on "made in USA"

I agree with your parts guy, this is more than just a fluid issue.

I went back and looked at my 2001 FSM and Owners manual and found it does not say Toyota brake fliud or equivalent, but only reads industry standard SAE or FMVSS just as your 04 Highlander manual states.

shortlid, what brake fluid did you add and how long before you noticed a problem "fluid darkening"?

Gunk Heavy Duty

shortlid, what brake fluid did you add and how long before you noticed a problem "fluid darkening"?

I belive it was Gunk Heavy Duty DOT 3 & 4. Online only brake fluid that states online it meets ALL the specs my '04 states is Penzoil DOT 3 Brake Fluid?:confused:

I belive it was Gunk Heavy Duty DOT 3 & 4. Online only brake fluid that states online it meets ALL the specs my '04 states is Penzoil DOT 3 Brake Fluid?:confused:

I flushed with Standard Gunk HD DOT 3 401deg F. #4432 a few weeks ago.

How long before the brake fluid in your 04 Highlander darkened?

Maybe two months

Toyota Brake Fluid is made by:

CCI Manufacturing IL Corp., manufactures: Toyota Brake fluid, Antifreeze and windshield fluid. This information was found in the MSDS N0. 108710.* for Toyota brake fluid GC235. MSDS Solutions - Free material safety data sheets from 3E Company

CCI, in its sales material states: Our signature products include high-performance brake fluid, custom-blended engine coolant, and all-weather windshield washer fluid. The last entry under brake fluid and coolant is Golden Cruiser. CCI Manufacturing :: Products :: Automotive Fluids :: Brake Fluid

A search of Golden Cruiser brake fluid I get Toyota brake fluid:
S-CCI (India) Pvt. Ltd. - Product Information - Brake Fluids
CCI Corporation - Products - Golden Cruiser

CCI, PR material:
“Our commitment to the highest levels of quality and customer service has allowed CCI Manufacturing to be the recipient of numerous awards for several years running from the world’s largest automotive manufacturers. When you select CCI as your partner you’ll be sure to receive the same commitment in the development, production, and support of products for your specific needs.”

They claim to supply 60% of OEM's.

-i do think you need too take into consideration that a company that made sub-standard brake fluid would not be in buisness very long. imo brake fluid would have to be held to a higher standard than say motor oil.
-i would also imagine that the toyota issue wasnt the fluid but the switching of parts. they probably changed the composition of the rubber seals (or there supplier did), those may have not held up to any brake fuid.

-i would also imagine that the toyota issue wasnt the fluid but the switching of parts. they probably changed the composition of the rubber seals (or there supplier did), those may have not held up to any brake fuid.

Why do you imagine that ?

Toyota seems to be placing the blame on fluids. The company making the brake systems wit problems is a partnership formed of some of the largest names in auto components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom