Vibration + loud drone (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hoping to find what is causing the vibration and drone when cruising 50 mph and above. It appears both vibration/drone are loudest/intense during acceleration and at around 70 mph/2400 rpm.
I have taken it to the stealer's, where it sat for over a week. According to them, they checked drive shaft u-joints which they reported where good. Then they hooked up chassis ears to locate where the sound was coming from. With this they were able to find out that a lot of noise was coming from the front driver's wheel hub assembly and that it needed replaced. They test drove it and told me everything was fine and was ready for pick up. I picked it up and the vibration/drone remains. I called my service guy back and told him the issue was not resolved. We then agreed to have the tires checked. I took the tires to my tire shop and they found a couple tires in extreme need of balancing. For example: when one of the tires was on the balancer, one side of it read zeros and the other side read 6.75. We were all in awe. I was however in a bit of a hurry and told em to put whatever weights were needed bc i still needed to trailer car that night to a speed shop for my cousin, which was about 90 miles away. Of course, despite the vibration/drone we felt along the trip, the 100 performed flawlessly, while hauling miata on a trailer behind it.
The weirdest part of this all is the following day, i took the rig for a drive and the vibe/drone was gone. nothing. a few days passed and now however, i am typing this because it has unfortunately returned.
Mud, help me

Did they check both front hub assemblies? And CV's?

How many miles on your rig? If you've had the axles under water (water crossings and/or deep mud) you might check the rear axle bearings.

Were you by chance wheeling and maybe dinged the rear drive shaft right before the problem started?

You've made sure all four wheel's lug nuts are tight right?

Totally sure the tires are fine? Possibly a broken or separated tire belt? You've rotated the tires?

Where can you feel the vibration? Through the steering wheel? Through the seat?

Did they check both front hub assemblies? And CV's?

How many miles on your rig? If you've had the axles under water (water crossings and/or deep mud) you might check the rear axle bearings.

Were you by chance wheeling and maybe dinged the rear drive shaft right before the problem started?

You've made sure all four wheel's lug nuts are tight right?

Totally sure the tires are fine? Possibly a broken or separated tire belt? You've rotated the tires?

Where can you feel the vibration? Through the steering wheel? Through the seat?
I plan to check back with the dealer to see what exactly they all checked. I am currently under the impression that they just went off whatever the chassis ears heard and maybe didn't bother anywhere else.

I have 215K on my rig. It's been over a year since she's been on anything considered wheeling. All lug nuts are tight.

The vibration/drone can be felt through the floor board, vibrating the center console and my daughter in the 2nd row in her booster seat has been telling me how the vibration is "cool". Prior to balancing the tires, the drone came from the rear passenger cabin area. We decided to bring that tire up to front passenger and the drone is now up front. I am really hoping it's the tires. but I am wondering why it all disappeared for a few days. I guess the only way to tell if it is tires, is to swap in a different set of tires.
I plan to take it to the tire shop tomorrow and see what they say.

Anymore input is appreciated

I have a similar issue to this, only mine is about 40mph and above. The vibration doesn't feel like an out of balance tire but more like maybe a transfercase drone but I have been denying that this is the issue.

Maybe check when it starts doing it at 50mph put your hand down on the transfercase lever and see if the noise translate into a feeling in that lever.

A tire that wears unevenly will cause these problems. More importantly, the uneven tire wear could be a symptom of a suspension problem like worn shocks. Since you switched the tires and the vibration changed positions, I think you just found your problem.

If a tire change doesn't fix the problem, the I would add engine, transmission, and exhaust mounts to the above suggestions.

Does it happen during decel or just holding speed @ 70? Any steering wheel feedback when it's happening? Hit anything recently? Big pot hole or debris?

Actually tonight, i am feeling the vibration begin around 40 mph. The intensity of it happens during light acceleration. It is still somewhat felt while holding speed such as during cruise control at 70. No steering wheel feedback when it's happening. Mostly only through the floor and throughout the cabin really. Being in Illinois, I can't really say a pot hole caused it. But the problem seemed to have developed within the past month 1/2, and has progressed till now.

I will add that I have been through a water crossing, but that was about a year and a half ago. Would that have any bearing through all this time to affect any bearings/seals?

Since you switched the tires and the vibration changed positions, I think you just found your problem.

I thought it was as simple as that however, unless I'm wrong, it doesn't really explain how the vibe/drone appears to be dependent on acceleration. Or could it??

I thought it was as simple as that however, unless I'm wrong, it doesn't really explain how the vibe/drone appears to be dependent on acceleration. Or could it??
The drone comes from the uneven tire contact on the road causing a deep droning sound kind of like driving on a perforated metal bridge. Inspect the shocks/suspension for wear on your car and the wheel on a balance machine for it's roundness.

The tires are, relatively, the easiest to check (along with finding out what the dealer mechanic actually checked). Probably a country mile from your problem but if the tires check out it would seem prudent to look at the driveline. When my rear wheel bearings along with the pinion bearing (remember I have 4.88's...not stock) went bad almost a year ago the vibe was discernible through the floorboard and seat o'the pants. Those are relatively easy parts for a mechanic to check for being worn...

Wheel bearings when they go bad will often give off a "drone" like sound. The semi-floater type bearings in our 100's are not serviceable. And under 'normal' operating conditions they last a long time. But subject them to repeated dousing from more than axle deep water crossings/mud baths and they are subject to premature failure. I know.

*update*
Today, vibration is now being felt at 20 mph and getting worse. I got underneath and inspected the driveshaft and it had WAY too much movement. Had it checked out by my local tire shop and confirmed that it is, as of now, what is causing my vibrations. I left it with the tire shop and contacted my "preferred" toyota dealer, which is about 100 miles away and told them about it. I reminded them that they were that last ones to service my 100 and they advised and guaranteed that it was in working order, and ready for pick up, which was about a week ago. I told my service guy that he'd have to figure a way get my 100 to his dealership and repair/replace my findings, which was also confirmed by the certified technicians at my local tire shop. I felt like I was able to get my service guy's attention especially when I reminded him that he told me that his own techs inspected my driveshaft and that it was in working order, only to have been proven otherwise that is not.
I am now awaiting a call back from him.

I might add that I did spend about 45 mins on the phone waiting for someone from Toyota Customer Service to come online and never got anyone. I did locate this link while I was waiting which made me hang up and actually call my dealer first:
Toyota Customer Service: Tips for Getting Your Problem Solved | Tundra Headquarters

I would really not prefer to bump heads too hard with this dealer since I do like them however, we will see how they handle my situation.

In defense of the Toyota Customer Service department, I expect they have no shortage of buffoons flying around the outer loop at 90 MPH calling to ask how to get their Prius stopped :p

Might want to try a road force balance on the tires and wheels. This can find and fix balance problems and internal flaws normal balancers can't.

Maybe bearing inspection and repack.

When, if ever, have the shocks been changed out ?

Might want to try a road force balance on the tires and wheels. This can find and fix balance problems and internal flaws normal balancers can't.

Maybe bearing inspection and repack.

When, if ever, have the shocks been changed out ?

RFB may not be worth it at this point. I'd like the dealer to focus attention onto my drive shaft. I mean, the symptoms I feel are only felt during acceleration. If it were wheel/tires, I'd imagine I would be feeling vibe regardless of acceleration/deceleration.

Front or rear driveshaft? You could drop the offending driveshaft (4 bolts each end, 14mm wrench?), lock the center diff, drive in 2wd for a short time while the driveshaft is getting new bearings. I did this on my 80, fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom