What does Check Engine Light mean ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Too many possibilities to troubleshoot without a code reader. Could be an O2 sensor or a dead injector or coil. Best to have the fault code(s) read before swapping out components.

Autozone will read it for free and will zero in on the exact problem. Most of the Check Engine Light issues are emissions related components but some are more serious and will affect driveability and gas mileage.

You can get an inexpensive code reader at Harbor Freight for $39.

MOst of the common problems that I have encountered with 100series check engine light is the gas cap is either not properly installed or my be time for a new one. The EVAP (charcoal canister) is supposed to be pressurized, if the system detects low, or no pressure it will give a check engine light.
I do agree to get it check, however autozone does not check it for free (former employee) but they do charge a deposit of $182.00 (approx) to rent the scanner in which you will get a full refund once you return it, so the rental is free. Make sure you have an experienced employee check it to avoid them screwing something up. It has happened.

do92fj80 said:
MOst of the common problems that I have encountered with 100series check engine light is the gas cap is either not properly installed or my be time for a new one. The EVAP (charcoal canister) is supposed to be pressurized, if the system detects low, or no pressure it will give a check engine light.
I do agree to get it check, however autozone does not check it for free (former employee) but they do charge a deposit of $182.00 (approx) to rent the scanner in which you will get a full refund once you return it, so the rental is free. Make sure you have an experienced employee check it to avoid them screwing something up. It has happened.

Hi do92fj80 , thanks for the help. Will try that :)

donco said:
Too many possibilities to troubleshoot without a code reader. Could be an O2 sensor or a dead injector or coil. Best to have the fault code(s) read before swapping out components.

Autozone will read it for free and will zero in on the exact problem. Most of the Check Engine Light issues are emissions related components but some are more serious and will affect driveability and gas mileage.

:beer: Thanks

donco said:

BTW, where is the OBDII connector located? Is it the one that is next to the PS fender in the engine room, right above the antenna? It seems so but it is not the standard connector. It has a completely different pin arrangement.

On US market vehicles, the OBD2 connector is always in the interior, within 3 feet of the driver, but most often in the footwell, near your left shin/knee but sometimes on the transmission side. No special tools to access. The connector on the hood labeled "diagnostic" is not it.

hoser said:
On US market vehicles, the OBD2 connector is always in the interior, within 3 feet of the driver, but most often in the footwell, near your left shin/knee but sometimes on the transmission side. No special tools to access. The connector on the hood labeled "diagnostic" is not it.

Eureka! Found it! It's over the accelerator pedal, to the right. Very visible once you look up from down there.
obd_ii.jpg
I was a bit worried, because I have just bought a scan tool in ebay (yet to arrive), and I was not quite sure that my car had the ODBII connector. What is the other diagnostic connector for?
Thanks, again :)
obd_ii.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom