Spring/Summer Lakes Basin Cruiser Trip :NorCal: (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
DATES WILL BE JULY 18-20
Camp location: Gold Lake 4x4 Campground

Going:
@KWalkerM
@pilotuku
@orangefj45
@gregnash
@Fast Eddy
@SIZZLE
@Finnyfam60
@jcardona1
@hairy_apple
@vipergrhd
@revoked
@landcrshr
@Skillet
@englaneato
@shady
@TahoeFJ60
@93yotasr5
@matttaylor1976
@Haring Bagsik
@RMutt2017
@MKtaco98
@MaK92 4RnR
@AMMO
@TYM4FUN
@esh

Maybe:
@tag3
@repentsinner
@norcalsvx
@KeepCruzin
@Devil's Slide Doug

So for anyone that hadn't been following the conversations over HERE, several of us have been talking about setting up a trip around the Sierra Buttes and Gold Lake area sometime in either late spring or early summer.

The general idea for this trip is to set something up where we can get as many 'Mud members as possible out on the trails! It will pretty much be a big camping trip with no set events, just show up, do whatever it is you like to do in the mountains, and have a good time!

If your worried that your truck isn't capable enough you can relax, you Toyota will do just fine. My truck is lifted, but has no lockers, and until this year, I never had sliders, winch, etc. Stock vehicles will be able to make it to the campsites fine; if you've never been offroading before this is a great place to start. (the trail to the 4x4 camp was the second trail I ever drove, [first was the trail to Upper Sardine Lake just down the road], and that was just my brother and I in the car :))

(I ran into 'Mud member T-bones 60 a couple years ago herding a stock Honda Ridgeline to the Gold Lake OHV campground...:lol:)

Here's a dashcam video I found on YouTube of a Heep moving pretty fast on the trail. (I drive it nice and slow. :steer:) CAUTION: If you want to keep the trail a surprise until you get there, dont watch this video! :p

@matttaylor1976 has offered to let us use his place near Nevada City as a meeting point for those of us coming up on HWY 49. If anyone is interested in doing this, it would be cool to have that group, (and anyone else we can meet up with by the time we reach Sierra City), drive the dirt road from Sierra City to the Sierra Buttes Lookout Tower on our way into the Gold Lake 4x4 Campground.

I'll volunteer my place if any of you guys from the Bay Area need a place to stretch your legs on the way up, or if we need a rally point. I'm right on the border of Nevada City and Grass Valley (off 49). I've got plenty of parking, and gas on the way.
There is also a dirt lot right behind the gas station close by that we could fit a bunch of rigs. Let me know if that works, or if you have other ideas.

Directions:
12898 Madrone Forest Drive
Take 49 towards Grass Valley
Take the Brunswick road exit, make a right.
(gas now, or on the way down at the flyers on the right)
Continue on Brunswick for approx 3/4 of a mile, and make a Left on Idaho-Maryland road
Make a right onto Madrone Forest Drive (approx 1 mile up Idaho-Maryland)
Towards the end of the road, you will climb a hill that veers right, at the top, make a hard left, then an immediate right.
I am behind the wood fence, if you cross the creek, you went a bit to far.

If you have never been to the area before, there are several ways to get there: (if you see a mistake anywhere in here let me know :))

The way I usually go is up Hwy 49, passing through Downieville and Sierra City on the way up to Bassetts Station where you can turn onto the Gold Lake Hwy which takes you into the Lakes Basin Recreational Area.

You can also get there by taking Hwy 70 up through the Feather River canyon. Stay on 70 where it splits off to Hwy 89 towards Lake Almanor and you will eventually get to the town of Quincy (KWalkerM's town). Continue along 70 until it splits off to Hwy 89 again towards Graeagle, at the opposite end of Graeagle turn right onto the Gold Lake Hwy.

If your coming from the Tahoe area, follow Hwy 89 north toward Sierraville, then turn left onto Hwy 49. Continue on Hwy 49 when it splits off to Hwy 89 just past Sattley; follow Hwy 49 until you reach Bassetts Station, then turn right onto the Gold Lake Highway.

_DLV4983
by Darrell Vaughn, on Flickr

_DLV4737

_DLV4820

_DLV4781

_DLV4740

Last edited:
I have not been there and would love to head out and have a good time with ya'll...

My rig has open diff's... If that Ridgeline made it....... I should... :cheers:

Any idea of dates yet? Maybe should try to get something set up now so people can get time off and plan a little in advance if they are traveling at all.

Any idea of dates yet? Maybe should try to get something set up now so people can get time off and plan a little in advance if they are traveling at all.

No dates have been set yet, I was hoping to have everyone's input on what days would work best for the most people, and what month would be the best weather wise.

If we ever get snow... it's normally late June before any of that stuff is going to be open.

I'm game.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids

I have a completely stock 100 and this trip looks great! I'm interested! I'm located up in Seattle but I've been thinking about visiting my brother in San Francisco so this might be the excuse I need to do it!

I didn't thoroughly read the other post but what dates are people thinking?

Sent from my iPhone, please embrace the typos

I didn't thoroughly read the other post but what dates are people thinking?

Sent from my iPhone, please embrace the typos

No dates yet. Machinist is still putting it together.

I am down as well for any dates. Just need a few weeks head up to juggle through schedule...

If we ever get snow... it's normally late June before any of that stuff is going to be open.

lol at this rate we wont get any snow...just did a road trip to Washington state and there is no snow sticking really from Spokane to lakes basin area where I live.

Yeah we need some snow bad or the trails will be nasty this year. I am game for this definitely. Depending on the dates I may or may not bring the wife, BIL, or buddy. Always wanted to ride Downieville and this would make that a much better possibility (though a steel 29er hardtail aint the best bet for that).

Maybe we should add some general things to do in the area..
- Mountain Biking (come on we are in one of the US mecca's of two-wheeled entertainment) Downieville is super close along with Tahoe (Stanford Rock, Hole in the Wall, Emigrant Trail)
- Road Biking (some of the best "pass riding" you will find around)
- Hiking
- Fishing (too many lakes around to name them all but sure that KWalkerM can fill us in)
- Kayaking/Paddleboarding (see fishing)
- 4wheeling?

Yeah we need some snow bad or the trails will be nasty this year. I am game for this definitely. Depending on the dates I may or may not bring the wife, BIL, or buddy. Always wanted to ride Downieville and this would make that a much better possibility (though a steel 29er hardtail aint the best bet for that).

Maybe we should add some general things to do in the area..
- Mountain Biking (come on we are in one of the US mecca's of two-wheeled entertainment) Downieville is super close along with Tahoe (Stanford Rock, Hole in the Wall, Emigrant Trail)
- Road Biking (some of the best "pass riding" you will find around)
- Hiking
- Fishing (too many lakes around to name them all but sure that KWalkerM can fill us in)
- Kayaking/Paddleboarding (see fishing)
- 4wheeling?

there is PLENTY of 4 wheeling in that area and some of the more experienced guys will know more of those trails. the trails range from easy forest service roads to difficult roads like snake lake trail. there is wheeling for everyone.

fishing is fantastic in the area, lakes and streams in lakes basin in addition to the Middle Fork of the Feather River being only 30 mins or so away. the Feather has phenomenal Fly Fishing opportunities and I am more than willing to go do that with some people and fish my favorite holes. there are also several lakes in the area with Colorado strain Golden Trout which is the farthest north that you can catch them.

the only problem if its an early spring trip will be the fact that Gold Lake Highway does not get plowed except to the snow mobile staging area. add in the fact that the road is up high in elevation ~5,000 or more and if we get a late season snow storm it could still be blocked in addition to the road being on the north slope and not melting. also if possible I would like it if Sierra stream trout season is open so I can fish.

my vote is for a date in late may, early June

there are a lot of bike opportunities in the area too.

I'd be up for it, but don't conflict with Rubithon please. A bunch of the good 4x4 routes are still impassible due to snow in mid June. Around July 1st would be my vote.

There's a great MTBR mountain biker weekend that's usually the same weekend as Rubithon.

There's an unimproved, free campsite that would fit about 10 rigs just past Packer Lake Lodge, which also serves a great breakfast.

This was at 8000 feet last weekend. There's no snow. Or barely any.

image-1858891958.jpg

I'd be up for it, but don't conflict with Rubithon please. A bunch of the good 4x4 routes are still impassible due to snow in mid June. Around July 1st would be my vote.

There's a great MTBR mountain biker weekend that's usually the same weekend as Rubithon.

There's an unimproved, free campsite that would fit about 10 rigs just past Packer Lake Lodge, which also serves a great breakfast.

im trying to make it to Rubithon this year so that week is out. if anything we can just shoot for late july but my guess is gold lake highway should be plowed by then

This was at 8000 feet last weekend. There's no snow. Or barely any.

you fxxxer...wheres my invite?! :flipoff2: :crybaby: :hillbilly: haha where did you take the pinz to?

Avoiding conflicting dates with the Rubithon is a top priority. Rubithon dates are June 17th - 22nd.

I stayed at one of the cabins at Packer Lake one night earlier this year, really nice place. Were you referring to this spot at the curve in the road right before you go up the steep part of the road up to Butcher Ranch Rd? 39.616115,-120.662242

There are also a few large campsites at the Gold Lake OHV campground that would probably work well. 39.670883,-120.666829

Whatever sites in the area do not require a use fee will be fine with me.

I'm in! Probably want to give the Rubithon a bit of space, which would be the end of May or into July. How about one of the last two weekends in May? I think one of them is Memorial Day weekend. Is that good or bad for folks? If we get a bunch of snow between now and then I think we'd all be relieved, and happy to push the dates back.

I'm in! I am taking a long road trip /camping expedition across the "west" in mid June and will end it with camping on the west shore of lake Tahoe during rubithon, and hoping to come in to Cadillac for a day trip (if they let me) one day. I was looking at options for extending my trip the week of 6/22-6/28, and out to lakes basin is perfect! Up thru june 28/29 for those who want to come up for friday/sat/sun. That's the weekend after rubithon, hopefully doable for most.
Activities on my list: snake lake loop :steer: , lake fishing with my boys, fly fishing with kwalker, mountain biking (preferably cross-country or downhill style). Looking forward to it!

I'm in too! I loved these trails, had a great time and definitely want to go back. I'll just need to know ahead of time so I can block off the dates!

Well, no one else has mentioned a specific date (other than memorial which is too early in season imho, so does 6/23 till the 28/29th work for anyone else? (Or some portion of that?) Like Friday 6/27 through sunday 6/29? (I'll be there the whole week.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom