Builds Zed, the Ultimate Cruiser - A Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking great Peter, I can't wait for to start to come together!

It sounds like you heart is set on the ORI struts, you should probably get them.

I have to say though, from what I understand about what you said of the ORI's, they have are different from a coil over in that they apply a sprung force against down wards travel after a certain point. In other words, coil overs will want to push a wheel against the ground through their entire range of travel, the ORI will pull against (but not overcome) axle droop. Having "close to even" weight distribution when one wheel is high and the other is low, is better done with the coil overs, and traction or forward motion would be relative to that, wether or not that will hold you up is to be seen, but I doubt it will be significant.

On the other hand, you've pointed out some pro's to the ORI's, they way they travel, they tend to resist body roll, and they seem to be made for the occasional "jumping". They sound like they would be better for high speed rough terrain travel in many ways, whereas the coilover has some benefits for the rock crawler type.

If Zed is to be built as an "expedition" style build, then the ORI sounds like a better option.

Last edited:
Look what the Mastercard fairy brought to me today.

ForumRunner_20130523_220024.jpg

ForumRunner_20130523_220044.jpg

ForumRunner_20130523_220054.jpg

ForumRunner_20130523_220024.jpg

ForumRunner_20130523_220044.jpg

ForumRunner_20130523_220054.jpg

I would consider swapping to round headlights just for those... Sweet

I am curious how they stack up to other headlights

I just fitted 75w hids and they are stupid bright.

I am curious how they stack up to other headlights

I just fitted 75w hids and they are stupid bright.

The are rated at 760 lumens on high beam with only 30watts. We would need to know how many lumens your hids put out to make a comparison. But pattern matters a lot and thats why I am trying these JW Speaker 8700 units as the comparisons on youtube seem to indicate that these have a great pattern.

I will provide a thorough report once Ive got some hours on them.

Ladies and Gentleman,

It's time to put a nail in this Coffin. In the legendary words of Butch... Zed's dead, Baby. Zed's Dead.

Well, Zed's actually alive and well, but Zed the Ultimate Land Cruiser built on the BJ74 known as Zed, is no longer a project. I've been through some significant life changes (Don't worry, I am OK, in fact, better than ever in many ways), and I've re-thought the project.

There is a new project afoot. The new and improved 'Ultimate Expedition Land Cruiser Project'. And to get you excited, it involves Zippo, the legendary truck which bursts into flames (a CDM 1986 BJ70 with 640,000 km on the ODO) rising from it's grave. Kind of a Pheonix/Zombie situation, I guess. It's all very exicting. Parts are being procured right now. I will initiate a new thread in the coming days. Some of you will be angered, other's inspired. You have to pay for the whole seat, but trust me, you'll only use the edge.....

Hello Behemoth60,

Just a thank you for the heads-up on JW Speaker. Cheers

Ladies and Gentleman,

It's time to put a nail in this Coffin. In the legendary words of Butch... Zed's dead, Baby. Zed's Dead.

Well, Zed's actually alive and well, but Zed the Ultimate Land Cruiser built on the BJ74 known as Zed, is no longer a project. I've been through some significant life changes (Don't worry, I am OK, in fact, better than ever in many ways), and I've re-thought the project.

There is a new project afoot. The new and improved 'Ultimate Expedition Land Cruiser Project'. And to get you excited, it involves Zippo, the legendary truck which bursts into flames (a CDM 1986 BJ70 with 640,000 km on the ODO) rising from it's grave. Kind of a Pheonix/Zombie situation, I guess. It's all very exicting. Parts are being procured right now. I will initiate a new thread in the coming days. Some of you will be angered, other's inspired. You have to pay for the whole seat, but trust me, you'll only use the edge.....

Significant life changes? Come on, you make it sound like your coming out of the closet and moving to san fran... And what body will you be putting on that BJ70 frame (spoiler alert)!! :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom