Your Opinion Regarding Starter Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 199 LX 470 with approximately 220,000 miles. In looking at common failure points to address potentially before they occur, I am looking at the starter and the brake booster pump as they are my two biggest unknowns. I have the online dealer history and the last entry I see from November 2016 is: Starter failing, customer declined.

For anyone who has experienced the starter failing issue: Do you think it is possible that a starter identified as failing in 2016 and close to 30,000 miles ago could still need replacing, or in your opinion would it most likely have already been done given the time and mileage? Knock-on-wood, I'm not having any starter issues that I am aware of at this time.

Thank you!

If you aren't currently having problems I'd guess that they had the starter replaced at an independent shop. In my 2UZ Tundra I had maybe a year from the time I noticed something subtle acting up until it was a problem that needed to be dealt with immediately. The bendix was failing.

I pulled and replaced mine at 260K miles. Seemed to be in pretty good shape, no indications of failure looming, but was an excellent opportunity to address some gaskets, injector O-rings some other bits and bobs. None exactly critical repairs, but if you tend toward OCD it’s a good job to tackle. Plus, there’s probably never an acceptable time for a starter to fail so might be a decent earlier-rather-than-later item.

If I were planning a longer road trip, I might proactively replace something like that at those miles as a PM item. But if I knew I was just sticking around town and could get the part tomorrow, replace it the next day, I'd probably wait until it failed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom