Yotafun 00' 4Runner Build - Annabelle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Last week at the start of of my Stay At Home I decided to catch up on some work on the truck, again another maintenance task.
When I did the valve covers the first time around I didn't replace the rear cam plugs or reseal the half moons or replace the PCV valve -_-
It caught up with me so I went to work:

This job started a rabbit hole of projects. I felt with everything out of the way now would be a great time to replace the rear heater hard lines. I have had them bypassed since the first week I owned the truck when they rotted through....
I had to transfer most of the brackets over from the old lines to the new which required this set to see light again...

But during that repair, I found another issue, the past couple of weeks I had noticed the steering getting a little twitchy:

All done all clean with no leaks!

The next project I am working on is getting my 4.88 gear set moved over to this truck. I picked up this axle housing originally to fix the ghetto fab monstrosity underneath the Anthracite truck, here is a picture just to remind you:
View media item 74339
But instead I am going to clean it up and put my 4.88 3rd in it so I can be ready to wheel after this pandemic passes :)

DAMN! you have been busy!

Slow progress on the rear axle because I'm being particular and taking my time.

I installed new inner axle seals.

I cleaned up the 3rd member and both backing plates on the axles to prep them for paint.

I let all the hardware sit in some CLR for a bit and then cleaned them up.

I also ran a tap through ever stud hole and nut and a die over ever stud on each side before installing everything back on the axle for the 3rd member install.

Some red loctite was used on the studs on the axle side to hopefully prevent them from backing out, however I eventually plan to do the stud eliminator kit when I need up the other axle later.

It's been tedious work and my jaw is about shut from concentrating and grinding my teeth (really bad habbit...)

I have also purchased new shoes, drums, hardware kit, and have new brake cylinders sitting around from a project that didn't need them.

Plan on doing 3 or 4 more coats of paint on everything before assembling the brakes and putting the axle underneath the truck. I am looking forward to having power back in this thing!

Little more of an updated.
More painting done:

Had to get some pink in there! But may have to sand it and redo it, the engine enamel paint isn't laying quite right:

So in my time at home not thinking about work, I get to over think about everything else. I noted something on one of the axles I'm curious if anyone else can pick out:

Thankfully I still had an extra axle to put in and the bearing feels better in it too....

The neck down in the axle or the groove in the tone ring?

Did a little more work, nothing to overly exciting.
First, fix my very bad wiring from years ago of me not knowing how to do things right:
Just a little pink...

And finally got all the brake stuff put back together:

Things fell a few days behind due to some other items requiring attention at home.

Finally got the brake lines done, after failing a few times I really hope these will do, if not I will be stripping them off the old axle in the truck.

Part came in for the front diff seals and the panhard bar bushings (the bushings will get done when I swap the axle over):

Knocked the seals out today and manhandled the diff out of the brown 4Runner finally, I need to constantly remind myself I am not longer 21, I can not easily bench press a front diff as easily anymore -_-

I decided I would like to not deal with a ton of grease while going back in so I pressure washed the diff:

To make sure I didn't get water in I used the stub shafts I have but too the c-clip out so they were easier to remove:

Then I called it a quits because my body said, NO MORE. Hopefully tomorrow, I can get the silver 4Runner back into the garage and start the swap over.

So it begins. Got the Silver 4Runner pulled in and on jack stands for the rear:

I put a set of tires I had on the finished rear axle to help move it around a little easier.

Old axle is out! ABS sensors out, all brake lines off, and pushed out of the way:

So, I had little faith in my brake line work (though I have had great success making my own lines in the past), and swapped over the factory lines for now, they were still in great shape so I had no qualms about moving them over from the old axle.

I stopped here for the night because my body wouldn't let me continue and I also had to make dinner. I have the arms attached and shocks just to get it buttoned in:

You own alot of jack stands. Glad your making use of the time during this pandemic.

You own alot of jack stands. Glad your making use of the time during this pandemic.

Its because I own a lot of cars that all require work at the same time... Thank got the tundra doesn't need work since the only jack stands that will work for it are under the brown 4Runner....

Did some work yesterday and got the rear end buttoned up.

Here are the new bushings in the panhard bar which should really make the feel the back end feel better:

I got the back end all buttoned up:

And then got the truck turned around after fighting the the front drive shaft bolts for close to half an hour (this is not an exaggeration):

After the fight with the bolts I thought I would call it a night but I got a bit of a motivation and thought I would continue, and then the jack stands bit me and I said a few choice words, and called it a day:

Repeats to self *I'm not 21, I'm not 21 l, I'm not 21*

Nope didn't stick.
So despite being in agony from finishing up the rear diff and my hand still hurting from the jack stands....I got the old front diff out.... And since I had this motivation.... Got the front diff in....

Old diff out:

Next time I have to do this it's staying like this and I'm doing a solid axle swap....

And old new 4.88 diff in:

All thats left is to reinstall the front drive shaft, put the front wheels back on, fill both diffs with fluid and then go see how off the speedo is! Lol

The front diff in the 3rd Gens is not an easy task do to the pinion mount for the diff that has to be raised about an inch to clear the stud for it that goes into the cross member, this also causes problems with the pinion flange hitting the bell housing, I've learned that if you take the bolts out of the trans mount and jack up the trans a little bit it gives you just enough clearance to get the flange past the bell housing. What shocked me (cause it's been so long since I've done this) is how small the 4 bolts that hold the mount to the cross member is:

Also discovered I'm still chasing a trans fluid leak. I think I'm going to attempt getting the hard lines off the brown truck and transferring them over to the silver truck with some new hoses and clamps and see if that solves the problem. There are some rust spots on the hard lines in the silver 4Runner that at starting to seap...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom