Builds Yet another New LC Owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings from east of the Rockies...

Have had several Jeeps and a couple of Land Rovers I finally got my paws on a 97 TLC...E-Locked and bone stock for now...New to toyota but not new to 4x4's in general...Hope to be able to contribute here...

DSC_0002-vi.jpg

DSC_0001-vi.jpg

That is a good looking disco. I would love to hear a non-biased comparison of the LC and the disco. I have always been interested in them but the friends that have owned them have done nothing but complain about maintenance and reliability. Welcome.

Congrats. Nice looking Cruiser. I used to not like white Cruisers now I'm wanting one.:D The LR looks good too.:)

:beer:You need to lift that LC as soon as possible.... I think it looks embarassed
Welcome!!! Enjoy the LC life:cheers:

That is a good looking disco. I would love to hear a non-biased comparison of the LC and the disco. I have always been interested in them but the friends that have owned them have done nothing but complain about maintenance and reliability. Welcome.
Very very similar chassis wise...both solid axle with coilspring and control arm arrangement...drop out 3rd members...beyond that the similarities kinda depart...Build quality on the Toy shows...both vehicles are of the same vintage, the Toy actually has 13000 more miles on it, but you would never know...The Disco is armoured,winched, lockerd f and r and loaded with 4.11's on 34" swampers, full cage..NATO wheels Longfield CV's and all the good stuff...However...gas milage makes me cry...as does ride quality and that lack of ability to keep fluids in the engine/trans/powersteering etc etc...

The Toy, plush....smooth, quiet, surefooted in bad weather..no fluid leaks..no rattles or squeaks. Hell Im getting 15.4 mpg around town after 2 tankful's of gas...rover is lucky to get 8.

Disco has great suspension travel and traction...but the spectre of Mr Lucas is never far away..I have done my best to eliminate most of the Disco's weaknesses, but have finally given up as my wallet and sanity are getting thin...

Dont know if I'm going to go as far with the TLC as I did with the Disco....time will tell...I dont really want to compromise the ride it has now in all honesty

Welcome to addiction :flipoff2:

.... and white is the best color for the 80 ;)

What are your plans for it?

Very very similar chassis wise...both solid axle with coilspring and control arm arrangement...drop out 3rd members...beyond that the similarities kinda depart...Build quality on the Toy shows...both vehicles are of the same vintage, the Toy actually has 13000 more miles on it, but you would never know...The Disco is armoured,winched, lockerd f and r and loaded with 4.11's on 34" swampers, full cage..NATO wheels Longfield CV's and all the good stuff...However...gas milage makes me cry...as does ride quality and that lack of ability to keep fluids in the engine/trans/powersteering etc etc...

The Toy, plush....smooth, quiet, surefooted in bad weather..no fluid leaks..no rattles or squeaks. **** Im getting 15.4 mpg around town after 2 tankful's of gas...rover is lucky to get 8.

Disco has great suspension travel and traction...but the spectre of Mr Lucas is never far away..I have done my best to eliminate most of the Disco's weaknesses, but have finally given up as my wallet and sanity are getting thin...

Dont know if I'm going to go as far with the TLC as I did with the Disco....time will tell...I dont really want to compromise the ride it has now in all honesty

that all sounds familiar, especially the part about "Lucas, Prince of Darkness." I think that you will find that the cruiser will suit your needs. Mine is setup with a 2.5 inch OME lift and 33"s. I have sliders and bumpers and notice no change in ride quality or power from stock. Hope that is encouraging.

X2 on the nice disco. I almost bought a disco at a local dealer before I bought my 96 TLC. It was between the 2, I went to the dealer where the disco was to test drive it and it wouldnt start. 2 days later I went to the dealer that had the TLC it drove awesome so I bought it. I still like land rovers though

Probably won't have to mod the 80 as much to get the same level of performance as the Disco required. I've heard you can almost live with 35" tires on an 80 so long as you keep it on the street.

Personally, I'm plenty happy with my stock height OME coils and 33s myself. Just saying it doesn't take much mod to gain a lot. Plus you've got the e-lockers...I'm just a little jealous.:cheers:

NICE rigs! how many miles and what did you pay for the new LC?!!!

Nice rig! Can't wait to see what the TLC will look like!

that all sounds familiar, especially the part about "Lucas, Prince of Darkness." I think that you will find that the cruiser will suit your needs. Mine is setup with a 2.5 inch OME lift and 33"s. I have sliders and bumpers and notice no change in ride quality or power from stock. Hope that is encouraging.

Which OMEs did you go with? Medium or Heavies? I want to keep the ride quality as well.

Looks just like mine did 3 years ago!

Welcome!

Nice White (to me, the best color:D) L/C, great looking Disc. I also would like your opinion on the Disco since my wife wants one.

Nice man. Ready to be addicted like a crack whore sleeping with anyone for money to fund her addiction.
Nice rigs man. Welcome

Nice rig! Can't wait to see what the TLC will look like!

Which OMEs did you go with? Medium or Heavies? I want to keep the ride quality as well.

I've got the mediums. My front end dips a tad from weight, but the ride is nice and I don't load up too heavy. Mind you, I came from a 60 so I could probably put tank tracks on the 80 and still feel like it rides like a Cadillac. My wife drove it 140 miles home when we bought it, so I think it is more than manageable.

Nice White (to me, the best color:D) L/C, great looking Disc. I also would like your opinion on the Disco since my wife wants one.

Avoid unless you like hanging out at mechanic shops and spending plenty of money fixing it...Especially if its out of warranty...
Talk the wife into a Toyota...

I have had LR's for over 6 years and spent more time than I can remember in them in the Armed forces...THey are something to behold when running right....but thats not often:frown:...and especially not often enough to compare to a Toyota

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom