Yet another Mustard 77 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

iptman

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello everyone,

After 15+ years of looking at 40s I finally found and bought one. I wheel my FZJ80 so my plan is to keep this one as OEM as possible. This one comes from Idaho so the rust isn't too bad. When I got it it had the rubber fender flares on and luckily they screwed them in to the under side of the lip instead of the face of the quarters. I promptly took them off along with the steering wheel wrap and the cheesy frog eye fog lamps that weren't quite centered. The lips of the rear quarters are a little gnarly and I'd appreciate any advice on what to do with them in the short term. The engine bay seems to be very factory aside from the red horns which will be removed post haste. All the smog equipment is present and I believe this was a California spec truck since I believe it has the Thermal Reactor exhaust manifold. Unfortunately it sounds like there's a crack in it (What do I need to replace this with Federal spec equipment?). There are 3 different oil leaks which I believe are the front main, oil pan (or rear main) and transfer case. I've yet to degrease the underside of the drive train but will soon. Inside, the truck is in really good shape. The dash wasn't cut to fit a DIN radio but there is an after market passenger handle and I assume they drilled the holes to mount it. The door panels are also intact. A PO must have been a pretty decent wood worker since those rear speaker boxes fit the curves of the body like a glove and sound good to boot. I believe the jump seats and passenger seat are original and the driver seat has been recovered in a pretty close matching vinyl. The headliner is present but is pealing away. I'd like to either get this one reattached or install a new one. The rear floor boards have spots of surface rust but nothing penetrating. The passenger foot well is near perfect but I can tell there's some rust beginning under the sound deadener/heat shield on the driver's side. The rear sill has the worst rust on the truck and I've already begun looking to acquire a replacement. @beno has hooked me up with a set of OEM steelies which I shot with Valspar MF gray which turned out great, just waiting on the 31x10.50 Duratracs to come in to replace the white wagon wheels. The shocks are off-brand parts store jobs and are valved very hard. I haven't decided on suspension but am leaning toward OME springs with Bilstein 5100 shocks. A PO also used caulk to seal the doors better instead of replacing the weather stripping so I'm slowly removing that and new weather stripping is inbound as I type this. There was awful purple tint on the windows and since removing it have vowed to never put tint on a window again in my life.

I've had fun over the past several weeks absorbing as much data as possible from the 40 section. I've had 2 different 80s over the past 6 years and am at a good spot with my current 40th Anniversary. I've already figured out almost none of my 80 knowledge transfers over so I'm basically starting fresh. First things on the PM side is an axle/hub service (done 3 80s, hopefully 40s are similar), hopefully identifying all the leaks and changing all the fluids. She starts fine with a little choke and will idle solid after it warms up.

I look forward to learning a lot about these trucks over the coming months/years and hopefully contribute back to the community when I can. Now for some pictures.

My 40 (1).JPG
My 40 (2).JPG
My 40 (3).JPG
My 40 (4).JPG
My 40 (5).JPG

Last edited:
Very nice looking 40. Looks real good. The rust on the rear fender opening looks to me like it started from moisture that was held between the metal and the flares as the rust doesn't seem to go past the shadow left by the flares.

Don

Iptman, Congrats ! that why it took over 15 years to pull the trigger !

Very Nice find

:cheers:

Sweet ride you found there. There is a lot to be said about the little things you have on there that are almost always missing from these trucks. Congrats! Oh the rust is something that you just need to fix, there isn't a lot of half stepping that you can do. I do not think I would ever again buy a sill replacement from anyone but Awl_TEQ it is really a work of art.

Don't you just love coming home to OEM parts? Weather striping and front axle rebuild parts. And I was just made aware that my gross of good Japanese made small filters for my 80 will also work on my 40. Doh! Thank you @beno!
tmp_2085-IMG_20150615_183557179_HDR-587293514.jpg

Oh the rust is something that you just need to fix, there isn't a lot of half stepping that you can do.

So what does this mean exactly? Am I staring down a frame off or is this something that can be handled frame on?

Yep, sweet ride indeed. A cream-puff, even. You must be thrilled. And rightfully so.

Overall condition suggests a mostly sheltered existence and the engine compartment betrays the appearance of a low-mileage light-duty Cruiser. What is the odometer reading? And do you suspect it to be correct?

The odometer shows ~97k miles and works as does all the other gauges. With my still growing knowledge of 40s I'd say it looks closer to 97k than 197k but who knows. The PO said it had been stored for some 20 years until just recently which is totally plausible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom