YEA ME! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After using this site many times I have created an account - yea me!!!! Hello!

I have a 1985 4runner all stock sorta and I am about done doing to it what I wanted to. Front seats are from SR5, CB added, and in process changing auto to 5spd as we speak. I am waiting on a few parts before I attempt the reinstall. I have never done this before so we will see how it goes. I have sourced a manual w56 tranny (87), a gear type tcase (87), Master Cylinder, Slave, hydraulic lines, hopefully the correct length drive shafts, and clutch assembly.

I am waiting on a gasket for the tcase/tranny. I ordered a new fork, new shift dust boots, new fork boot, and fork retainer clips. Looks like I will have to do some cutting for the gear shifting, cut out plastic frame that used to go around auto shifter, and seems the console will work but need to find the shorter part that houses the buttons for rear window and wipers. Should be ready to start by next Monday.

Here are some pictures...

IMG_2136.JPG

IMG_2138.JPG

IMG_2140.JPG

IMG_2119.JPG

Here are some pictures of the swap going on as we speak... The tcase has been cleaned up since this picture has been taken. The tranny and bell housing were equally gunked up before cleaning as were all the other stuff like drive shafts, cross member, and transfer case bracket. All clean now!!

Bye Bye Auto Trans :)

IMG_2240.JPG

IMG_2375.JPG

IMG_2376.JPG

IMG_2377.JPG

IMG_2250.JPG

I think I got the basics understood about the swap! The biggest pain I think will be routing the hard line for Master to Slave and attaching to firewall, followed closely ( in terms of being a pain) drilling fire wall to set new brake assembly/master cylinder.

However, I do have some questions if anyone wants to start the conversation. I am searching to understand this idea better but any input would be appreciated.

Typically when doing a clutch or inspecting a drive shaft the shafts are marked to reinstall back as they were taken out ( Maintain Correct Phasing). However, since I have sourced the tranny/tcase and drive shafts out of other vehicles I am not sure about this whole process. The front driveshaft I sourced was missing the yoke so I planned on using the one from the auto - assuming that makes it the correct length I am not sure about the alignment when inserting and need information about that. I think it should be the right length as both shafts came out of a 1987 5 spd 4runner, but not the same as the tranny/tcase.

Anyone want to help understand all that please go ahead - get me started understanding this....

Nice runner I like it keep it up! as for the driveshafts I thought it was just if the shafts slip joint was separated that and put back together and the yokes not a 90* from each other that it would cause problems. I would think the hardline to the clutch would be as simple as ordering one and it would come prebent.....

Woww! That's a classy ride man! I will second what Dirtdobber said. Find a clutch line from a donor truck, though snaking it in may be a pain...

The U joints should be lined up with each other, and the yokes on the shaft should be on the same plain. The splines should make this pretty obvious as you try to line it up.

Good luck!

If you're in Southern OR, you should hit up the Jefferson State Cruisers. If northern, then Cascade Cruisers. Good people all around! :cheers:

Clutch line from the donor truck is the easiest way to go. I loved my 5 speed, now everything I own is a auto, great for the parking lot..... I mean freeway but sucks ass off-road. as for the hole bent up small piece of 16 Gage sheet metal and re drill the holes for the shifters

Nice runner man! Keep up the good work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom