Yard art or build??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A couple thoughts on your plan.

Have you actually measured a 55 width compared to a Sequoia? 55's are actually very narrow and small compared to modern vehicles.

Also, if you're going to convert the IFS on the donor to a solid axle, there's a fair bit more involved than just slapping the axle under an IFS truck. You'll need a steering box as the rack won't work. The donor engine will need a 100 series oil pan since the truck engine oil pan will interfere with a solid axle. Then you'll need all the axle mounting points and spring buckets. I'm not familiar with the Sequoia frame, but it may not even easily accept all the necessary mounting of SA parts.

Honestly, you'd be better off sourcing a rolling 80 chassis than trying to convert this to SA or build an IFS pig.

But that's just my $0.02
Yes, I've considered all of that, and I had an 80 donor ready to go, but I couldn't stand driving it. (Been driving Seqouia for 12 years and no comparison IMO) so.. I sold it. I pretty much have this Seqouia for free, so... instead of trying to do motor swap, doing all the fab and wiring for that, I think SAS the Seqouia will be easier.
I'm doing driver drop, so the diff should clear the factory pan ( we shall see) I've seen a couple Seqouia SAS, and the LS 400.rear sumo pan will work if needed.

Planning on cutting down the floor to fit the 55, the Seqouia is basically a widened 3rd gen 4rumner, so there is a lot of excess body outside the frame that doesn't need to be there.

Not saying it's going to be easy.. but will be pretty Rad in the end.

I agree with @samc2447

Id go Big Tree engine, trans, get a passenger Tcase, 80 chassis.

If you’re going to link it, maybe use whatever axle you want, but grafting 80 suspension is going to suck A LOT. 37”s get big on the rear of a pig. Have to cut a lot and/or big lift. If I was to get a custom housing, I’d get a 9.5” diff and not the 8.4” sequoia rear. For the cost of a housing, shafts, and all that, you be getting into complete 80 chassis category.

Deo put the 80 interior lower body on his 55 to run the 80 seats, but said it was a huge pain and not worth it.

Of course, you do you, not sure of your fab skills, free time, tools, etc.

Like @gonzopancho said, there are a few threads with chassis swaps. Maybe read them over and see the trials and tribulations before you dive in.

We will all watch and cheer regardless.

Except @J Mack . He’s a dick.
Thanks for advice, and your not wrong on any of it. I've read a few articles.. there is a reason I bought an 80 series first, it much easier. But I have a lot of history with this Seqouia.. I regretted selling it, so the fact it was totaled and thrown back in my lap.. just has to be the donor. Never said it's going to be easy, I know it won't, but done a few engine swaps, and the time you spend getting everything to work as it should, I think I'll spend 1/4 of that on time SAS.

Here a couple pics of the 80 donor.. I sold it to a friend who's always wanted one but was priced out, so I s living its best life.

PXL_20210711_223636697.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210326_223938697.jpg

d3857f46-3584-48bc-8fb9-a535ebe95c27.jpg

Last edited:
1st gen sequoia
Wheel Base 3,000 mm / 118.1 in
Track, Front 1,674 mm / 65.9 in
Track, Rear 1,679 mm / 66.1 in

2nd gen / 3rd gen
Wheel Base 3,100mm / 122.0 in
Front Track 1724mm / 67.9 in
Rear Track 1755mm / 69.1 in

J55
Wheel Base 2,700 mm / 106.3 in
Track F/R 1404.6mm / 55.3 in

J80
Wheel Base 2,850 mm / 112.2 in
Track Front: 1608mm / 63.3 in
Track Rear 1613mm / 63.5 in

I also think you’ll be better off with a j80 frame.
@TachedOutOffRoad has one. @cruiserjunktion put the 80 pan in his. (Then the 80 seats & console bolt in.)

Here’s mine.

View attachment 3134478

Body width will also be an issue when marrying the sequoia pan to the 55 body.
Thank for the information, the floor pan is definitely larger, but there should be an excess of not needed body that I should be able to cut it down to fit the 55 shell. I've had the Seqouia down to basic body when I did the color change.

IMG_20170425_171412.jpg

IMG_20170425_223758.jpg

Last edited:
It has a lot of interesting commentary and rattle can graphics that probably shouldn't post. They previous owner was definitely a character.
To me that reads as things you absolutely need to post! Us Pig owners need to keep our literary skills sharp!

Can't wait to see it! Someone has to be the first. If it goes well, everyone will be following your lead, so post lots of pics and let us know how you do it. Good luck!!!!

MM

Can't wait to see it! Someone has to be the first. If it goes well, everyone will be following your lead, so post lots of pics and let us know how you do it. Good luck!!!!

MM
Thanks! In my head, it will work, but no telling what issues will arise. I'll definitely post pics of the process.

Thanks! In my head, it will work, but no telling what issues will arise. I'll definitely post pics of the process.
The "issues that arise" are what make it fun!

I love the look of your truck.....😁.

To stay on topic, I think I welded 1/4" steel plates into the floor pan of my old Pig to cover the gaping air holes, and then sprayed sealer all over to cover it up. Worked like a Redneck dream. Good luck on the build. I wish I had that kind of ability. I'm just hoping I can get my engine all back together and my 80 running again before winter.

*Yes.....that's a Fram oil filter. 🤐

FB_IMG_1588860331735.jpg

FB_IMG_1588860338855.jpg

20220929_162532.jpg

20221006_141320.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom