Write up for Replacing the Steering Column uJoints? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fooldall1

Handy Enthusiast
Threads
Hey All:

Searched the forum and didn't come up with much regarding this topic.

I have some bad clunk and a lot of play/binding in my steering column. I've been chasing this steering issue for a while, but I think I finally have it nailed down to the Steering column uJoint (Upper) and possibly the lower. A mechanic validated pump pressure and Steering Rack function and said the issue is definitely in the steering column itself.

I was looking in the FSM on how to swap out part 4523060030 (flexible coupling assembly) but sadly for a non-mechanic (me) it seems to be missing some steps, or perhaps assumes the tech is already at a certain point of complete column disassembly. I have the part ready to go..

I want to do this myself, but can't find much info on replacement. Anyone care to share the experience, so I can be prepared before I tear into my steering column? Even better- a writeup. If one doesn't currently exist, maybe I can contribute to the FAQ by creating one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Futher- how much play is normal in the yoke underneath the steering wheel? Seems mine's all over the place in the space that goes through the firewall. That could be normal for all i know, though my steering wheel is the toughest to turn when you "jerk" the wheel. The shaft can be seen hitting up against the firewall.

Any one else here have issue with steering that were related to the slip joint in the steering column? Did tight, clunky steering get resolved by replacing the upper ujoint in the steering column? Surely I'm not the first one to deal with this.

I noticed there is a lot of play in the rubber coupling down there.

My LC has a lot of mileage and I have an interesting noise that I think is related to the lower u-joint you speak of.

Does yours make any noise like this?

Yes, exactly.

Do you also have hard steering on quick left to right?

The area up near the top of the shaft is the slip joint (I think) and on similar year 4R- they're reporting improved steering when tack welding the slip joint. See my above link from TTORA.

Also, when looking in from the engine side of the firewall, the shaft moves ALL around when steering- definitely doesn't look right on my Hundy.

Hmm,

I haven't been able to get a helper steer for me so I can watch the engine bay side of that shaft.

I don't have any tougher time steering it quickly or anything,

I can move the shaft quite a bit due to the rubber junction there. Sometimes I want to track down another Hundy with less than 100K on it so I can see if that one moves that much.

My main problem is you can't really unbolt the lower u-joint segment and remove the cover over the firewall section w/out removing the steering column. Or if you can I can't figure out how to do it cleanly.

I have thought about trying to remove the steering column on my own and just leave the ignition switch assembly in place as I have no reason to remove it. But I can't confirm you can/should do this.

Hmm,

I haven't been able to get a helper steer for me so I can watch the engine bay side of that shaft.

I don't have any tougher time steering it quickly or anything,

I can move the shaft quite a bit due to the rubber junction there. Sometimes I want to track down another Hundy with less than 100K on it so I can see if that one moves that much.

My main problem is you can't really unbolt the lower u-joint segment and remove the cover over the firewall section w/out removing the steering column. Or if you can I can't figure out how to do it cleanly.

I have thought about trying to remove the steering column on my own and just leave the ignition switch assembly in place as I have no reason to remove it. But I can't confirm you can/should do this.

Do you have access to a gopro or something similar?

First things first. My savvy buddy tells me to get an alignment first, see what happens- so I will do that. Gotta crank the torsion bars anyway, so..

I brought it to a shop and the master mechanic there told me that the pressure on the pump is fine (I didn't see it with my own eyes) that the issue is in the steering column. My steering rack was replaced with OEM by the PO in late 2015.

He showed me the movement in the intermediate shift just outside the firewall, and the fact that there's a LOT of play makes me believe he's right. It's so frustrating, to save time and possibly money i may just throw it to a mechanic to fix and be done with it.. :( Very frustrating.

First things first. My savvy buddy tells me to get an alignment first, see what happens- so I will do that. Gotta crank the torsion bars anyway, so..

I brought it to a shop and the master mechanic there told me that the pressure on the pump is fine (I didn't see it with my own eyes) that the issue is in the steering column. My steering rack was replaced with OEM by the PO in late 2015.

He showed me the movement in the intermediate shift just outside the firewall, and the fact that there's a LOT of play makes me believe he's right. It's so frustrating, to save time and possibly money i may just throw it to a mechanic to fix and be done with it.. :( Very frustrating.

My rig was aligned last week as well. Before I shot the video.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom