WPL C24 Hilux ... new to RC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CruiserTrash

Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
cruisertrashparts.com
I picked up this WPL C24 RTR (for newbies like mean that means ready to run out of the box) with 3 total batteries for $85. I tried out an RC a week ago and was hooked so this thing fit the bill for dipping my toe in the water cheaply.

Gotta say I'm pretty impressed with the build quality and functionality, even after driving somebody else's $500+ machine. I also have to say that I'm going to be hopelessly hooked. It's day two of me owning this thing and I've ordered full metal suspension and steering linkages, as well as metal driveshafts. I'll start thinking about other things - different rubber, lift, shocks, motor, etc after I beef up the linkages. I definitely want to get a different steering servo as the total steering width is pretty tight (lots of multipoint turns). Eventually I might paint it and paint it and dress it up a bit, too, but I'm having too much fun with it right out of the box to take it out of commission yet.

Anybody else have one of these WPLs? Below is a shot of it in my unused winter garden bed:

WPL C24.jpeg

I’m gonna go find one for my daughter now!

Last edited:
Ordered a red one last night. My son and I have RC4WD, but I don’t wanna spend that kind of coin fir another one. Looking forward to playing with this myself.

Ordered a red one last night. My son and I have RC4WD, but I don’t wanna spend that kind of coin fir another one. Looking forward to playing with this myself.
If you need a link let me know. I was able to pick this up with two extra batteries and the upgraded metal diff gears off Banggood for $83 shipped. I found a seller in the US so shipping was $2 or something. Seams like a good deal.

I’d love to move up to RC4WD or traxxis or some kind of 1/10 truck, but this will be fine to cut my teeth on.

I dug up part of the backyard last night. There’s a honey locust growing out there and I’m in Denver, so no grass grows. Here’s the truck navigating a drop into a little hole:
3FFA895C-7BA5-490D-8B5D-A1444490B297.jpeg

Upgrades installed yesterday - all metal steering and suspension linkages, metal driveshafts, modified the stock shocks for 3mm extra travel and better smoothness, and wrapped 3 layers of solder (lead = heavy) around the inside of the wheel for added traction/proved center of gravity. I found out thread locker dissolves this plastic and makes it crumble so I spent last night rebuilding molded plastic standoffs with threaded brass ones.

While I had it apart I figured I should paint it … and then spent way too much time doing so. Taliban Tan was the color of choice, of course.

The bumper has holes sized exactly for 3mm LEDs so I installed some and wires them in parallel to the headlights - all four LEDs are in parallel. The new “fog lights” come in but both headlights go out! Doh!

I’m currently reassembling everything. Excited to get this thing back “on the road”.

Next steps: metal axle housings and steering knuckles, metal servo/electronics tray, metal wheels, and maybe a new electronics system with wiring for more lights & stuff.
356208D5-3AEE-4E0D-984F-232D8106A7FC.jpeg

AD8A928D-89EC-46A4-B720-EFD198D08E8E.jpeg

12A205B8-9C13-4C9F-B766-26FDA0E47746.jpeg

Pro tip: do NOT use threadlocker on plastic! I used some on the wheel hold-down screws and it made the plastic so brittle that pieces of the wheel hub (the hex part that acts as a receiver for the axle) that pieces were falling off as I drove. Lesson learned. 7337 Hobbies on eBay (out of Michigan) had a nice set of 3D printed "40 Series" wheels that looked cool so I grabbed them. Not quite a dead copy, but close enough. The stock WPL tires fit right on them well. The hex receiver was a little large compared to the end of the axle, but a piece of paperboard as a shim tightens them up. Also, the inner raised ring that keeps the tire bead in place could be a little taller. Now what color should I paint them? I'm thinking dark gray like 40 wheels should be.

IMG-0407.jpg

IMG-0404.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom