Would you buy a 200 with 150k miles on it for $25k? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year? Maintenance history? Use history? Carfax? Location? Exterior condition? Tires? Interior condition? Mods? Test drive? Etc.? Anyone evaluating a used vehicle's value needs this basic info. After you gather this basic stuff, you can look up values yourself in one of many used vehicle price guides.

It's an 08 with a good history and clean Carfax in the south. Stock. Everything checks out, just high mileage.

I'd buy 3, maybe 4, at that price... assuming they are MY13+.

Too many variables here to give any sort of realistic answer.

Ahh, new details... NADA retail for that MY and miles is still about $26k. But since we're talking your money and not my money, sure, you should buy it ;)

Yes absolutely. Bought a '08 with 200k for $22k with a few upgrades 6-8 months ago and it's awesome. With good records and clean, that's about going rate. I could not bring myself to spend twice that to get a 2013+ with 100k miles. I'll drive this one to 300k, sell it for $5-10k and do it over again...

Reactions: HGB
I had been searching for a used 570 or LC.... many are out there with 100,000 to 200,000 miles....from $28000 down to $15000 depending upon mileage and condition. But, as reliability, condition and life expectancy were important to me....I focused my search on those with less than 60,000 miles and less than $50,000. They are out there. A 200 in that 60\50 zone seems like a better deal than one with 150,000 miles on it. But, ymmv and depending upon intended use and funds available....?

Going to be my daily.

Don't mind spending $25k, but the mileage scares me. Think I will pass on this one.

Just the kind of math that a frugal nerdy engineer like me geeks out on...
$50k rig with 60k miles. Drive it to 200k, sell for $20k. $30k/140k miles = $.21/mile for depreciation
$25k rig with $150k miles. Drive it to 250k, sell for $12k. $13k/100k miles = $.13/mile for depreciation, put $7k in savings for what ifs and additional maintenance due to the extra mileage, spend $10k on mods, beers, gas, and campgrounds (or savings or investing, pick your poison)

150k is not high mileage for these trucks if they're cared for. You'll have to pick your comfort level and balance initial outlay cost with mileage and condition.

what he said ^^

So may variables... can't just consider the mileage. A truck that's never seen salt for example... I'd take a high mileage one of those over a low mileage salt belt truck any day of the week. My MY13' has 110k miles, seeing as it's only 4 years away from 150k I would not be scared of that mileage (and nor would I sell it for $25k at that time!).

$22k sounds like a good target though without any other details, mainly because if it's listed for $25k you have to offer less :meh:

Looks clean, hard to tell but prob needs a new radiator. Did you get the service records?

Yeah, I threw out low $20's and he said he'll just keep it if he can't get $25k.

Don't worry, they'll call you in a few days. Hold your price or move on to the next.

Wow we sure have a lot of engineers on this board who like to say they're engineers! Price is fine, not great. Better deals can be had, but not by a lot. Only you can determine if the miles are too high, but other than the obvious stuff that everyone talks about here (you know what they are) the truck will certainly last much much longer.

My LX had 154k miles on it when I bought it a year and a half ago. I've put 15k miles on it and the value on it has not dropped, and if anything I could sell for more than what I paid for it. The older/cheaper the truck is the less you pay in depreciation, but the more you theoretically will pay in maintenance. I've not had to put a dollar into the LX other than oil and tires, but I would not be surprised or upset if I had to put a little into upkeep considering how cheap it is to own. Taxes and registration are also lots cheaper on an older rig depending on where you live.

Wow we sure have a lot of engineers on this board who like to say they're engineers!

Imma engineer a way for you to leave this forum! 🤣

Bumper cover damage has me thinking seller won't get near $25 if they actually want to sell it. It might have had radiator done already since there's no immediately visible stamp on it. Seller lives in well-to-do Dallas and has vehicle overpriced, color me shocked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom