Worn key, nearly stranded

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
worn_key.png
Key would not turn the ignition cylinder & I thought the steering column was locked until I took a close look at the key itself - parked in the dirt by the railroad tracks about to go surf & the idea of getting stuck there was not looking good. Thankfully I keep a spare in a lockbox deep in a drawer. Anywho, thought I'd share what my 20 year old key looks like next to a 20 year old spare that's been living in a lockbox & has seen only a fraction of use. Pretty remarkable wear!View attachment 1298594

Last edited:
Thank you for posting picture of key, is big change! Would like to know address of Land a Cruiser so I can come visit after seeing comrade locksmith.

All joking aside, I bought my truck from the original owner, got two sets of keys with it, one was worn like that (maybe even worse) one had never been used and still had cut marks on it. Also came with two alarm remotes; one looked brand new, the other heavily used. I now keep a copy of the like-new key right next to the old one on my keychain. At the point it stops starting the truck, I'll switch to that one.

Ha. That is nuts.

Thank you for posting picture of key, is big change! Would like to know address of Land a Cruiser so I can come visit after seeing comrade locksmith.

All joking aside, I bought my truck from the original owner, got two sets of keys with it, one was worn like that (maybe even worse) one had never been used and still had cut marks on it. Also came with two alarm remotes; one looked brand new, the other heavily used. I now keep a copy of the like-new key right next to the old one on my keychain. At the point it stops starting the truck, I'll switch to that one.
Had I known a while ago what I know now, I would have preempted this by tossing out the old key a long time ago. I.e. Getting stranded out in the Mojave in triple digits with 2 kids cuz of a worn out key, that would really blow. Keep that sucker on yer keychain.

And oh, b4 comrade gets ideas, that key photo is altered...thought of that too.

Guys for <$20 Toyota will cut you a new key all you gotta do is bring in your VIN and either title or registration in your name to prove it's yours. They will cut it from the vehicle records on their system and it's not a copy! o_O

On my truck my tailgate and drives + passenger doors would not open with my key(s) and ignition was a tad difficult.
Since I always use the key-less remote, I thought no big deal and also thought my ignition cylinder probably needs replacement.
Then I read here on mud about cutting a new (not copy) key from Toyota. What a difference all my doors work with the key and in the end my ignition cylinder did not need replacement it just needed an unworn key! :hillbilly:

I got 2 copies made at my local Toyota dealership for less than $30 (With our local Mud discount) it took 1 hour and I could not recommend this more than any other PM you can do to your truck in bang for the buck sense! ;)

They even gave me the option Toyota branded Key IIRC bout $25 each or same key no Toyota Brand Bout $15..
I'm a cheap ass so I got the generic.. Got 2 copies and tossed all the old keys in the trash! :cheers:

Guys for <$20 Toyota will cut you a new key all you gotta do is bring in your VIN and either title or registration in your name to prove it's yours. They will cut it from the vehicle records on their system and it's not a copy! o_O

On my truck my tailgate and drives + passenger doors would not open with my key(s) and ignition was a tad difficult.
Since I always use the key-less remote, I thought no big deal and also thought my ignition cylinder probably needs replacement.
Then I read here on mud about cutting a new (not copy) key from Toyota. What a difference all my doors work with the key and in the end my ignition cylinder did not need replacement it just needed an unworn key! :hillbilly:

I got 2 copies made at my local Toyota dealership for less than $30 (With our local Mud discount) it took 1 hour and I could not recommend this more than any other PM you can do to your truck in bang for the buck sense! ;)

They even gave me the option Toyota branded Key IIRC bout $25 each or same key no Toyota Brand Bout $15..
I'm a cheap ass so I got the generic.. Got 2 copies and tossed all the old keys in the trash! :cheers:
No kidding! I have not been to the dealership for service in years but this will be worth it. Thanx!

I learned this same lesson. The driver's door lock and rear hatch lock were getting difficult to open and the ignition cylinder felt a bit "sticky" at times which got me thinking that I might have to buy new lock cylinders and have them rekeyed so everything would match. Then I got a new key cut at the dealer based off my 80's VIN; all problems solved

Good locksmith with good tools can guess the correct profile if the dealer is not helpful. My locksmith buddy made me new keys for everything I own. I keep a master that I don't use so I can get one cut from it by the Micky mouse hardware stores if I need

Using the vehicles VIN a Toyota dealer will cut the exact key profile, the same as the original, no copying or guesswork involved.

Using the vehicles VIN a Toyota dealer will cut the exact key profile, the same as the original, no copying or guesswork involved.

@beno was able to cut me two Toyota keys for my 96 Land Cruiser. Both work great! He just needs your VIN, and a little $$ to make it happen.

:beer:

Yeah, my key did the same thing. Got to the point it wouldn't unlock any of the doors and wouldn't work in the ignition. Luckily I knew to take my title to the dealership and have one cut from the vin $7 I think is what it cost me. All the locks work flawlessly with the new key.

Heavy key fobs (crap dangling from the ignition key ring) rapidly accelerate the grinding down of the ignition key. As the car is moving, extra weight dangling from the key vibrates and slowly, over the years, grinds down the key at a faster rate.

there is a number stamped on the driver's door lock, you can take this to a locksmith and they can cut you a brand new key for your cruiser.

I have a RHD '90 Land Cruiser imported from Japan with a laser cut key and would like to have a spare made just in case. I went to the local Toyota dealership and was told I would have to call Japan to get the cut code from them. I tried a different dealership and they recommended I contact Toyota customer service and after several transfers and lots of time on hold, was told the same thing. Anyone have any experience with this issue? A quick browse of the forum didn't turn up much, but I may have overlooked a thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom