Won’t Stay in First Gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When shifting manually my 80 seems to not care that I’ve put it into first/L gear with the transmission shifter. (I am not having a problem with my xfer
H&L) When driving in D it behaves completely normal.
Problems:
1. Taking off with shift selector in L it drives in 1st just fine until it decides to shift to 2nd like it is in D, but, won’t go into third.
2. Downshifting into L at first it does nothing, then it’ll downshift to first unexpectedly and then as quickly it’ll upshift back into 2nd.
3. Downshifting manually to 2nd its doesn’t really do much.

Again it doesn’t matter if the xfer is in H or L.

My Shift/TV cable has been adjusted exactly to specs and when it shifts it is just right. It doesn’t take too long and it doesn’t slam into gear.

The selector cable has been adjusted to spec.

The fluid level has been adjusted to spec.

I have no idea what is wrong. I just want it fixed. I have moved to the Aspen, Colorado area (Basalt) and I would like to be able to use some compression braking on the hills. I have no where to work on it either so I need to take it to the dealership or 4x4 shop to work on it. I just need to tell them what to do.

Specs: 1993 80, crap loads of miles (over 400k), been a dedicated trail rig for the last years, 6”springs, 37” tires, blah, blah, blah...

I saw this on lcool
Welcome to Land Cruiser Owners On Line

You said you adjusted the shifter cable to spec., this article tells you to give the adjustment a little front bias... just a thought...

Do you have a body lift??? That can jack with adjustments or what “spec” might be...

I’m also in basalt! Welcome to the valley!! I also work at shop in GWS, PM me let’s get together for beers and cruiser work...

At what speeds are all of this occurring?

It shifts based on my throttle position so it is from 2krpm to over 4krpm. It’s shifting correctly while in D. When in L it behaves exactly like it’s in D.

Solenoids?

Probably.

RoaringFork,

I read that Lcool article a few weeks ago and it’s a good write up.

I did adjust the shift linkage so it was bumping against reverse a bit tighter than it was. It hasn’t made a difference.

I may have to drop my SOR skid plate to get to the tranny pan and it’s gonna be messy to get in there. I can’t do that where I live so I haven’t been able to test that the solenoids. From what I understand they’re inexpensive so if I’m going to go through the trouble of checking them I will just replace them.

When in L it behaves exactly like it’s in D.

This is how my transmission acts if I put a little pressure on the selector when it's in 2, towards L. I'd guess your selector cable is just a little off.

That’s an easy fix if that’s what it is. I’ll give it some tweeting tonight on the way home see if I can get it any better.

That is what feels like is going wrong.

Oh yeah, RoaringFork , I have no body lift. I had a ‘92 Toy truck that had a body lift and that screwed lots of stuff up. I don’t ever want one of those again.

I may have to drop my SOR skid plate to get to the tranny pan and it’s gonna be messy to get in there. I can’t do that where I live so I haven’t been able to test that the solenoids. From what I understand they’re inexpensive so if I’m going to go through the trouble of checking them I will just replace them.

That’s an easy fix if that’s what it is. I’ll give it some tweeting tonight on the way home see if I can get it any better.

That is what feels like is going wrong.

Sounds like you’ve got a couple avenues to explore...

If you need a hand or dry place to look it over let me know!

I saw your PM, I look forward to meeting in the future!

@Tooth Fairy im curious if you were able to resolve this issue? I’m having the same symptoms. Problem seems intermittent by the day. Did the linkage adjustment work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom