Wondering front end on the FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My '88 FJ62 has been in the shop for several days....mechanic can't figure out why the front end is wondering. All front end components are in good shape. They think it could be the leaf springs/shackle bushings.

The PIG wonders to the left when driving and it increases when it hits a bump and rut in the road.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Solutions?

Is your cruiser stock height and stock suspension?

Things to check:

1 Wheel bearings
put front axle on jack stands. If you can grab the top and bottom of the tire and it moves up and down then the wheel bearings are shot and would need a knuckle / front axle rebuild.

2 Tie rod ends
Bad tie rod ends would cause the truck to wander.

3 leaf spring bushings
If the bushings are toast then these would contribute. Leaf packs will make a sound shifting back and forth when turning.

4 U-Bolts
These should be tight. aftermarket ones people reuse their ubolts. They stretch and cause issues.

IF TRUCK IS LIFTED and you did not cut and turn front axle then it can wander and cause bump steer. Bump steer is when you hit a bump and the steering wheel moves with the relay rod/steering linkages even though the truck goes straight.

Is your cruiser stock height and stock suspension?

Things to check:

1 Wheel bearings
put front axle on jack stands. If you can grab the top and bottom of the tire and it moves up and down then the wheel bearings are shot and would need a knuckle / front axle rebuild.

2 Tie rod ends
Bad tie rod ends would cause the truck to wander.

3 leaf spring bushings
If the bushings are toast then these would contribute. Leaf packs will make a sound shifting back and forth when turning.

4 U-Bolts
These should be tight. aftermarket ones people reuse their ubolts. They stretch and cause issues.

IF TRUCK IS LIFTED and you did not cut and turn front axle then it can wander and cause bump steer. Bump steer is when you hit a bump and the steering wheel moves with the relay rod/steering linkages even though the truck goes straight.

The rig has an Ole Man EMU lift. The PO had the lift installed. I was told it was professionally installed? The steering wheel doesnt move with the truck when it hits a bump. It wonders without the steering wheel moving which makes it feel like the steering is loose.

Is this a new to you 60?

Have you had the alignment checked? If not, it could be a castor problem.

Depending on how much lift the OME did you may need caster correction shims to get your steering geometry back into spec. Look under at the springs. Are there little wedges sandwiched between the springs and u-bolt plate? If you have them then the lift isnt the culprit. IF you dont have them then that is where I would start.

read up:
Caster Shims on OME Front Springs?

I've had the same issue for years with my OME lifted FJ62. I've tried everything under the sun (caster shims, toe adjustment, all new steering components, reputable 4 x 4 shops, etc.) and although the situation is somewhat improved, the truck still drives like sh*t--at least for my liking (and, yeah, I know that a lifted truck will always drive differently than a stock one). I'm a little older and wiser since I installed the OME setup and to be frank I now care more about having the truck just drive like it did when it was new as opposed to having it lifted. I just had ALCAN make me up a set of stock (no lift) springs. I'm ditching the OME setup, shackles, shocks, etc. and going back to stock everything. When you look at the incredibly low production numbers for these trucks and the climbing collectable value, maybe having it be a trailer queen won't be such a bad thing 10-15 years from now lol!

less lift = better driver...

Hi, I'd check those tie rods carefully,steering box,and wheel bearings. Any good alignment shop can tell you what's wrong.Several days in the shop... Find another shop. Mike

Up to a 4~5 inch lift if your alignment is right, especially caster, a 60 series should track straight and true. Your roll center changes with lift
but that just makes it feel less sporty in the corners. start with 2~4 degrees positive caster and depending on the tires 1/2~ 1 degree toe
in. If your rod ends are worn you may need more toe in as will you with excessively wide tires

CHECK YOUR CASTER. My 60 has always steered like s***. It's not the lift. It's the way the lift was done. You're getting bump steer - there are lots of discussions about bump steer here. I've had 26,000 lb trucks that drive better than my FJ60. It's in the shop now getting caster set up to 4 or 5 degrees. I know Georg likes less - I think he's wrong. It's not the mechanics wearing out, it's the geometry that sucked to being with was made worse by the lift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom