Wobbly OEM roof rack - advice needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I recently picked up a Thule roof top carrier for my 99 LC for family trips so I can fit the brood and the dogs inside comfortably.

The carrier did really well, but I noticed that it was pretty wobbly - a couple of times it actually bottomed out and dinged the roof of the rig on the freeway.

Upon further inspection I noticed that the cross bars of the OEM roof rack feel a little loose at the points where they are connected to the racks. I tried loosening and adjusting their locations (moved forward and back thinking that maybe the grooves were loose) but even in other locations they felt pretty loose and I can wiggle them around by pulling on them.

Any recommendations on what to do here? Do I replace the cross bars, or is there an affordable aftermarket option? I don't really haul anything on the roof besides for this thing, so don't need to optimize for a tent or cargo carrier - really just need sturdy bars to attach the carrier to.

TIA for any recommendations.

I have had the same issue. I think at this point I'm missing a few of the nuts to tighten the factory crossbars. I would recommend picking up a set of Yakima or Thule crossbars from craigslist or your local outdoor store. Both brands make "feet" that grab onto the factory rails and support the much stronger crossbars. Bonus- you can mount bike/ski/etc on them as well. Like this:

upload_2017-5-3_13-3-17.jpeg

This is how I mount our roof box as well, it does end up a little higher than on the factory crossbars, but these trucks aren't short anyways.

upload_2017-5-3_13-0-7.jpeg

Do you have any more pics? The two you posted are the same pic and kind of hard to make out what those are.

Do the feet attach to where the factory rails sit and replace them or do they attach to the factory rails?

One reason I want to keep the factory cross bars and rails is because my truck BARELY makes it into the garage right now. If I add even an inch in height, I won't be able to pull it into the garage to work on it, and have to always work on it in the drive way.

Anyone else with a factory bar setup?

I have noticed how flimsy the factory cross bars are as well. My use of the rack is simply toting skis to Colorado and a kayak to the lake. The factory rack doesn't seem to mind the skis, but the crossbars sag with the kayak and the boat boat bounces like crazy going down the road.

I have found Yakima sells a total factory replacement setup across the pond, but I haven't been able to find the parts state's side. Ultimately I would like aftermarket crossbars that fit between the existing rails, but I don't think such a product exists.

toy-lc100-3bar-03.jpg

Lock n Load | Yakima

If you opt for an aftermarket rack that attaches to the factory rack/crossbars, it will be taller as you are adding height to the factory rack. There are a number of racks that replace the factory rack by bolting directly to the roof rail which keeps the profile low. I have a Rhino Rack platform that is stiff and strong and no higher than the factory rack/rails

@digitalmarker Yep, like has been said, if you add the Yakima or Thule to the factory racks it sounds like it may increase your height too much. If height is an issue, I know that some overlanding/4x4 roof rack companies have options that completely replace the factory rack and use the same hardpoints while staying close to the factory height - although something like Gamiviti or ARB may be overkill for your needs.

I can try and get some pics of my current setup with measurements for you in the morning.

It sounds like there is something wrong with your lock knobs. Are they missing or stripped? You can find cap screws at lowes or autozone that will work. I'd look for ones that are a little longer than the OEM knobs.

As mentioned above, Rhino rack makes bars that attach directly to the roof. They replace the OEM rack and re-use the mount points where OEM rails are currently attached. They also make load bars that use your existing rails. Although their stuff looks much sturdier, their load ratings aren't that much more than the OEM rack and they're a little pricy.

The Yakima Lowrider towers pictured above are no longer made, but they work well and will be much stronger then the OEM bars. They'll ride a little higher, but that just means your rig won't get scratched up.

Before you spend too much money on aftermarket ski racks, @reevesci can weld you up a full rack for a hair more than Rhino Rack wants for their stuff. My Yakima box fits perfect on his flat rack with plenty more room up there. You may not "need" one now, but you probably will eventually. It comes in pretty handy...

Here are some pictures of my Yakima setup, looks like it adds slightly more than an inch to the factory height. I'm not sure about load capacity but I've had ski racks, bike rack and a box up there all with no problem.
upload_2017-5-4_21-20-17.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom