Wobble when braking at highway Speeds (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently purchased a 2001 Landcruiser with about 180k miles and noticed a wobble when I brake on the highway, it seems pretty severe but no real pull to either side. Also vibrations through the floor and seat. The brakes and rotors were done about 30k miles ago at a toyota dealership, any chance replacing the pads will fix the issue or will the rotors need to go as well?

Also anything else that could cause this wobble? There is none when braking under ~50 mph

I believe some people have experienced a wobble when braking due to front wheel bearings needing to be re-packed and tightened.

If it is your brakes and the rotors only have 30k miles they should be able to be resurfaced.

Steering wheel wobble under braking is usually warped front rotors. If you can feel through the floor and pedal, could be warped rear rotors. When doing front brakes, it's a great time to repack the front bearings.

You'll feel warped rotors at slow speeds and at higher speeds, they go away or feel more like a light vibration. A high-speed wobble sounds like a bearing or drivetrain-related.

I agree it's rotors. You can warp a brand new set of rotors in about 5miles.

I had similar issues, replaced rear pads and rotors since front had recently been done. Problem seems to be gone, still need more seat time but a trip around the block and no issues!

Could be any number of things.

1) Play in the wheel
a) wheel bearings
b) steering rack
c) tie rod end

2) Brake issue
a) brake rotor runnout
b) uneven brake deposits on rotor

3) Tire issue
a) bubble in sidewall
b) internal defect in the ply

Since you're actually feeling the wobble through the chassis, I would suspect something in group 1. Either a specific issue or a combination of those. Any experienced mechanic should be able to troubleshoot it with relative ease.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom