Wisdom needed for fridge type (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ED2C0E09-DDF6-41D6-9503-3B521C08E4CD.jpeg

I have this setup in the back. I think the PO had a fridge there on the right side because there seem to be some mounting screws. I decided to buy a fridge and looking for recommendations what size, fridge and setup works the best for a family of 4 in remote wilderness.

Ive never owned or seen one and ARB has several to choose from. I think I need/want this one if its the best fit. And can get good recommendation from someone familiar here who knows. They have a plastic cheaper blue one and a more expensive aluminum one but this is the one I’m looking at.
ARB Zero Fridge Freezer Dual Zone 73QT | Best Prices & Reviews at Morris 4x4

Do I need an extra slider? My drawers already slide. I dont know how heavy these can be. Or just a strap mount kit. I have many usb 12v and a 110 power in the back. They have the insulator bags too. Are they worth it?

Thanks in advance!

I have a Dometic CFX35 and it's more than enough for 2 for a week. I don't think a 35L cooler would be enough for a family of 4 for that long. In a remote wilderness setting, you'll need solar power and extra batteries to run it. Mine will run for 4 days off a 100Ah deep cycle lead-acid battery in 70F ambient daytime and 50F ambient nighttime temps. I have the extra insulating cover for it and keep in the shade, not in the truck when camping. I strap it down when underway and wish I had a slide. Be sure to look at the Dometic offerings. They are ramping up their overlanding type of equipment.

Nice pup, by the way. Looks like he's the boss.

I have a Dometic CFX35 and it's more than enough for 2 for a week. I don't think a 35L cooler would be enough for a family of 4 for that long. In a remote wilderness setting, you'll need solar power and extra batteries to run it. Mine will run for 4 days off a 100Ah deep cycle lead-acid battery in 70F ambient daytime and 50F ambient nighttime temps. I have the extra insulating cover for it and keep in the shade, not in the truck when camping. I strap it down when underway and wish I had a slide. Be sure to look at the Dometic offerings. They are ramping up their overlanding type of equipment.

Nice pup, by the way. Looks like he's the boss.
Appreciate it will check out dometic Before I buy. I have a dual battery setup and will add a solar panel somehow. just got the rig so I’m learning.

We have a Dometic CFX3 55 and we are a family of four. It is good for about a week for us:

3AAEACA9-4FC4-4B50-AB5C-A4E1F20D0727.jpeg

The ARB Zero is also a great fridge. 73 qt is a big fridge, but it is dual zone. Do you need a freezer?

I have an off brand fridge. Made an insulator bag and got nearly 50% more runtime. Definitely worth it if available.

There is a group buy on the Iceco fridges in the Group Buy section in classifieds. 25% off

I have a IndelB 51 liter and I find it too small for 2 for a week. But I like my water cold. It depends on what you like to eat and how well you can pack.

Wife and I use the ARB Elements which is 63 Liter. When we go camping about half the time is spent sucking down beers, so we will pack it 50% with canned beer and 50% with food. Using that strategy its good for 4-5 days of eating good in the summer where you cant cheat on things like veggies, cheese, butter, etc its gotta be kept cool.

If I wanted to use ice/cooler for beer we could easily go 2 weeks without a resupply OR 4 people 1 week. But that would be madness.

We have a Dometic CFX3 55 and we are a family of four. It is good for about a week for us:

View attachment 2363300

The ARB Zero is also a great fridge. 73 qt is a big fridge, but it is dual zone. Do you need a freezer?

View attachment 2363300

I my drawer tops slide but I dont know if it will hold the weight Extended out. I’m not sure if we need freezer or how much space needed. They have a 10% off sale too Till tomorrow lol.

There is a group buy on the Iceco fridges in the Group Buy section in classifieds. 25% off

I have a IndelB 51 liter and I find it too small for 2 for a week. But I like my water cold. It depends on what you like to eat and how well you can pack.
Yeah I saw that. This one is 10% holiday sale till tomorrow.

Do yourself a yuuge favor and as you narrow your search, build a cardboard mockup using mfgr's dimensions and be sure to also try to open the lid. You may get a big surprise but better in cardboard than actual unit.
Great advice! I’ll also check some vids and google images of them installed with my similar setup.

Great advice! I’ll also check some vids and google images of them installed with my similar setup.

The box is what I did when selecting what I have now.

If that zero 73 was available when I got my arb 63, I would have got the dual zone 73. Excellent pick.

Thing to check also is there enough room to open and close it while driving; or if you even want to do this?. Sometime on a long drive I'll turn it around so the person in the back seat has access to it.

The arb 37 will do for about 3 days, and the 63+ will do 5 days + rotating drinks in. The dual is best as you can keep stuff frozen. The sliders pull out with any of these on them.

They also have blue tooth gismo that hooks up to the back of the fridge so you can control it on/off with your phone.

I also frequently use mine picking up groceries.. so I don't have to hurry immediately home.

Last tip I have is they have a extendable power cord on amazon I repurposed so that the power line extends and retracts when you slide the fridge in and out.

FYI those arb drawer slides will easily hold the full fridge.

When I went looking it seems the engle's are a little better made and cost more, but they draw more electricity. I went with ARB as they have a great warentee. Had one of my other fridges fail after near 3 years of use 24/7 and they replaced it.

Depends on your needs. Couple of good write ups...

Older 2016 article:

New Fridges for 2020:

I like my old Engel MT45. No bells, no whistles, just works. Literally runs 24/7/365. When it's not in my rig it's a beverage fridge in my garage. I recommend stay away form the cheap knock offs. ...Buy once cry once. :)

Last edited:
I have an ARB 50 qt fridge on a Tembo Tusk drop slide. I'd do some measuring if you want to fit a 73 qt fridge as the 50 qt fills up the back .

thumbnail (1).jpg
thumbnail (2).jpg
thumbnail (3).jpg
thumbnail.jpg

Depends on you needs. Couple of good write ups...

Older 2016 article:

New Fridges for 2020:

I like my old Engel MT45. No bells, no whistles, just works. Literally runs 24/7/365. When it's not in my rig it's a beverage fridge in my garage. I recommend stay away form the cheap knock offs. ...Buy once cry once. :)
Great readings.

Thank you!

Our Conqueror camper has a SnoMaster dual zone and it’s been great. Ours probably wouldn’t fit in a vehicle but they have several size options. The freezer is nice if you are also carrying a cooler so you can swap out freezer packs, also have ice and ice cream but it’s hungry for power. The fridge is easy on the power and the unit is really quiet, I sleep directly above it and can’t hear it run. You will definitely want some insulation.

Last edited:
We are a family of four and use the ARB 37qt, which is sufficient for a week of vac-sealed meat/entrees and fruits/veggies/cheese. Our water/drinks are stored outside the fridge. If i need a cold beer i steal from a buddy who seems to always have on hand :). Would like a slide but it hasnt been a requirement so far. I WOULD like to see any DIY methods of a transit/insulation bag though! @grinchy .

This size fridge also allows quite a bit of storage space to the side closest to the window and behind. I have the KISS drawers without the wings installed and fit a pett toilet, ground tent and couple sleeping bags there. Doing this usually allows the pup enough space to travel comfortably, although he tends to hop to the 2nd row occasionally as well. -Matt

20200612_092659.jpg

Here's the post on the build thread @MaQ

Reactions: MaQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom