Wiring help need please... mostly coil and distributor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Vossie

#thecrazycruiserman
Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
Hi all.

Been searching the forum all afternoon with little luck so gonna have to post a new thread.

Ok, so I have a mostly intact 45 loom with mostly stock wires and connectors. I got the 45 in pieces and the loom was tangled up in a box.

So today I untangled it and got it back in. Most things line/meet up well and I'm happy with most of it, except for around the coil and distributor.

So here goes, can anyone help identify these wires and where they go?

First up. Is this an electronic distributor? Is that the ignitor in the dis??
20151130_165021-1-1.jpg

Ok, second, will either of these coils work? They are what the po gave me...
20151130_165750-1-1.jpg

20151130_165754-1-1.jpg

That's what I can post up for now.. I need to get on my laptop to post the pics of the wires themselves. ..

First up. Is this an electronic distributor? Is that the ignitor in the dis?? Yes, that is an aftermarket ignitor. I have used that brand with success.
Ok, second, will either of these coils work? They are what the po gave me... Yes, if the coil is good it should work fine.

This is what you have. Ignitor

Good luck untangling the rat's nest!

Bill D.

First up. Is this an electronic distributor? Is that the ignitor in the dis?? Yes, that is an aftermarket ignitor. I have used that brand with success.
Ok, second, will either of these coils work? They are what the po gave me... Yes, if the coil is good it should work fine.

This is what you have. Ignitor

Good luck untangling the rat's nest!

Bill D.

awesome!! thanks man!:beer:

ok, heres some of the rats nest that i need help identifying...

first up,
coil or starter.jpg

from what i can tell, the left branch of the loom i think should go to the starter, but if it does, then i can only see one plug being of any use, this one...

alternator side.jpg

which is definitely after market. but its about the only wire here that is big enough ( i think) to do the job. thoughts anyone??

the other branch of the loom i think goes to the coil

coil side.jpg

i have a rough idea of where these should all go, but can someone shed some light and some clarity on it?

and one last question...

WHERE DO I CONNECT THE BATTERY???:doh:

The last pic is the fusible link and the ammeter wiring. The free connector should go to the battery. There should be a large cable between the battery and the starter with a tail on the positive terminal to connect that to.
If you clean up the wires you should be able to work out the use from the colours.

Last edited:
The last pic is the fusible link and the ammeter wiring. The free connector should go to the battery. There should be a large cable between the battery and the starter with a tail on the positive terminal to connect that to.
If you clean up the wires you should be able to work out the use from the colours.

When you say the free connector goes to the battery, how does it connect? Will I have to remove the connector and then put a lug on the end to hook it up to the battery terminal?

Do you have the original battery cable? It should have the other half of that connector on a short length of wire coming from the battery terminal.

No, unfortunately no original battery cable...

You can buy the whole fusible link "kit' from coolerman. It isn't expensive. I replaced mine because it was old and pretty rough looking. It seemed to be complete, but I never tested it. You can have it if you want it.

any one have any idea what this is? found in the cubby hole?

what is cubby hole.jpg

here is a link to my harness. Why do I have a brown wire in my stock 73 harness?
I would start with identifying the stock wires in the loom and figure out how to intergrade your aftermarket bits after. Good luck lots of us have been there don't give up.

just read your thread. your loom is for an earlier 40 than mine plus mine is RHD.

does any one (but im looking at you Aussies ;) ) have a harness diagram for an 1983 RHD FJ45-RP??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom