Wiring Help for Cat Protection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TomH

SILVER Star
Threads
I got hit by the catalytic converter thieves over the weekend but I got lucky. For some reason they only cut the pipe downstream of the cats - not sure why - maybe someone came by. Maybe they'll be back or maybe someone else. There just really isn't much that can be done to prevent it.

So I was thinking... how about wiring up a circuit to a horn and the horn would activate when the pipe was cut. I'm thinking I'd use the pipe for the ground, connect a wire upstream and downstrean of the cat and if the pipe got cut, the horn would sound and hopefully scare away the thieves. This would mean an open circuit would complete the circuit. The problem is I'm not smart enough to figure this out.

Does it sound like this would work? Can anyone help?

Thanks

This could be done with a relay that was charged and using the normally open contact of the relay. There are two things to think about. The first is that this kind of "monitoring" will draw current. You will need to make sure that your current draw is very small so as not to drain the battery. The second is that you will need to float the power supply that is being used because the exhaust is most likely already grounded from the contact with the engine.
I think it could be done though.

how about installing some sliders, or slider steps that protect the cat? that will make it much more difficult to cut your pipe, if there's skid plates in the way.

/2cents/

You could wire in a system that connects the ignition coil to the pipe via relay and another circuit that activates the coil and relay when the pipe is cut. Heh heh heh.

The slider idea is a good one. You can also add a skid plate or other brace in addition to the slider as a deterrent if needed. The alarm only works after they cut through the exhaust.

I have sliders - but no cat protection.

I though a simple circuit would be a cheap alternative until I can get the sliders modified. I think one problem is the exhaust is probably grounded whether cut or not so the circuit would remain in the same state.

I realize this is an after the fact solution but I figure thieves would likely cut the downstream side first because the upstream side would still be pretty well support for the second cut. Getting a cut pipe welded isn't a huge deal.

There really isn't a good solution for this problem. More armor is probably the best thing to do.

You could wire in a system that connects the ignition coil to the pipe via relay and another circuit that activates the coil and relay when the pipe is cut. Heh heh heh.

LOL... that works on household doorknobs too! :lol: :eek:

I would probably use a separate ignition coil though, maybe a high output mallory or MSD... he he...

Or maybe you could park against a wall or over a concrete parking stop or something?

I think I would just add a skid plate for the cat if it were up to me. I'm sure something could be fabbed up to bolt to the sliders/frame.

Parking somewhere else isn't an option since I live in the city. It gets parked on the street. I'm also considering something for my Tacoma also - which doesn't have sliders. I've been expecting this to happen for a while so not sure why I wasn't a little more pro-active.

Here's what I'm thinking. I'd have to figure out what type of relay to use. I'd also probably wrap the wire around the pipes so it would have to get cut.
CatWiring.jpg

How about something simple like bending and welding on a length of re-bar covering the cat and going a decent amount beyond both ends? Would make removal much longer for them to do, and it just may be enough to deter them and have them look for another easier rig to go after.

Honestly the horn setup will only work AFTER they have cut it out. Tweakers don't care if the alarm goes off.

:cheers:

Steve

unfortunately it only takes a few seconds with a sawzall to get the cat off. the tweakers will be half way to the metal recycling facility by the time you hear your horn and rack your shotgun.

even with the cat-protection on my sliders, i wouldn't be surprised if they manage get away with mine one day.

Solid 1/2" steel guard all formed out of one piece of laser cut plate. You cant see the 1/4" inner rib in the middle of the main guard between the two cats as well. One can not slide the cats out if you cut both sides. Only way would be to cut the guard or try to pull the sliders. Most tweekers would just move on. Never heard of anyone getting cats stolen with these, but have sold a few to those who had to replace their cats post theft.

sliderguards.jpg

OK - so the alarm probably isn't a great idea. I think it would work based on my location but probably better to put the money towards added protection on the sliders.

Solid 1/2" steel guard all formed out of one piece of laser cut plate. You cant see the 1/4" inner rib in the middle of the main guard between the two cats as well. One can not slide the cats out if you cut both sides. Only way would be to cut the guard or try to pull the sliders. Most tweekers would just move on. Never heard of anyone getting cats stolen with these, but have sold a few to those who had to replace their cats post theft.

You sell the guard separately? Think it could be adapted to my Slee Sliders?

I googled cat protection and got this...:meh:

6d0456c5d5e8cb448dc420d7d902553e_leanne1.jpg

Hey Tom, I bet Tor (Toyota Off-Road Fabrication | Home) could whip something up for you fairly easily.

He's local, a member of the Seattle Cruiserheads, and does some great work from what I've seen.

yohavos said:
Hey Tom, I bet Tor (Toyota Off-Road Fabrication | Home) could whip something up for you fairly easily.

He's local, a member of the Seattle Cruiserheads, and does some great work from what I've seen.

2x this sugestion for sure if you are in WA. Tor could easily modify your existing sliders.

Mark

Parking somewhere else isn't an option since I live in the city. It gets parked on the street. I'm also considering something for my Tacoma also - which doesn't have sliders. I've been expecting this to happen for a while so not sure why I wasn't a little more pro-active.

Here's what I'm thinking. I'd have to figure out what type of relay to use. I'd also probably wrap the wire around the pipes so it would have to get cut.

Your diagram will work with only one (-) wire on the downstream side if you make sure the exhaust is isolated. The stock exhaust hangers use rubber between the hanger and exhaust, so it should be. The down side is your cats is gone by the time the alarm/horn goes off.:meh:

If you go ahead with your idea use a solid state relay, the draw would be minimal.

You could use some stainless wire and stainless exhaust clamps which should hold up pretty well under the elements. Exhaust clamps should allow you to clamp the wire very tightly at the ends of the exhaust system rather than wrapping the wire around the length of the pipe.

Go with slider or rebar protection... Or else they might be back with a fully charged battery for the sawzall.... Could always goto the local recyler who accepts CAt converters to see if you have any local perps who make routine visits.

Out of curiosity, how much does a used cat go for nowadays? Can it really be worth the time/risk to steal one? Sheesh!

I thought this thread had died.

I decided not to do the alarm although I think it would work for a lot of reasons, but primarily because I would hear it and I could most likely be outside before they completed the second cut. There are several other factors that make me think an alarm would work – for my situation – but no need to go into those. I don’t think it would work in a public area like a parking lot but it should work at my house.

I decided to fabricate a cage similar to what Metal Tech does on my Slee sliders – should be relatively simply.

For my Tacoma I’m looking at buying sliders, even though I don’t have any plans for off road use. The Tacoma is my daily driver and it is more likely to get hit in a parking lot or somewhere away from home. In the meantime I bought 10 feet of ¼ inch cable and 4 cable connectors and wrapped in around the cat and frame a few times. I realize this won’t stop the most determined thief but maybe it will be enough to make them decide to find an easier target.

Out of curiosity, how much does a used cat go for nowadays? Can it really be worth the time/risk to steal one? Sheesh!

I've heard they are worth $50-$100. Not sure what the recyclers are paying the thieves though. How much does a bag of drugs cost these days? Not much risk involved from what I can see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom