wiper motor wiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
mysite.verizon.net
Hi all,

With all the free time recently I am trying to address some issues that I never completed before.

I have an FJ40 wiper motor [not sure what year, or if that matters], I also have '76 FJ55 wiring harness. I put power to the motor and it works. When I plug the wiper motor in to the 55 harness the wiper motor does not work.

Before I run a new circuit, is there a secret that I am unaware of with the wiring? I believe I recall cruiserbrett saying a while back that something is reversed?

am I smelling that I just need to remove one harness clip and reorder the wires?

- Thanks, Aaron

Not super familiar with the FJ55 wiring in general, but a quick look at the schematic shows that the FJ55 arrangement appears to use the wiper switch to switch +12V to control the wiper motor speed.

The FJ40 arrangement is to use the wiper switch to switch to ground to the wiper motor to control speed. So that is why an FJ40 wiper motor is not plug and play into a FJ55.

If you want to have some more information on how the FJ40 wiper motor works: Wiper Info

Delete.

Last edited:
Hi all,

With all the free time recently I am trying to address some issues that I never completed before.

I have an FJ40 wiper motor [not sure what year, or if that matters], I also have '76 FJ55 wiring harness. I put power to the motor and it works. When I plug the wiper motor in to the 55 harness the wiper motor does not work.

Before I run a new circuit, is there a secret that I am unaware of with the wiring? I believe I recall cruiserbrett saying a while back that something is reversed?

am I smelling that I just need to remove one harness clip and reorder the wires?

- Thanks, Aaron
My understanding is the harness connector from the switch can be flipped 180 degrees. Also ground the motor to chassis.
Both quotes are correct, when applied to FJ40 wiper motors installed with FJ40 wiring harnesses and FJ40 wiper switches.

@Coolerman , who quite literally wrote the book on wiper wiring for FJ40's, indicated above that there are fundemental differences between FJ40 and FJ55 wiring. It would be best to read his link on wiper info.

Hi all,

- Thanks, Aaron

i have a cheery 1976 era fj55 compete harness

if u need reference pics to refer to let me know

As I stated, I'm not really familiar with the FJ55 stuff but the schematic shows a hot wire to the FJ55 wiper switch not a ground wire like the FJ40. If someone with the FJ55 documentation could post a pic of the wiper switch operation (what wires are connected to each other in each position) that would answer the question.

@Coolerman do these pics help, not certain what vintage 55 this panel is from, mid 70's??

DSCF3416.JPG

DSCF3417.JPG

DSCF3418.JPG

Actually that does help. It clearly shows that the FJ55 DOES have a ground wire going to the switch.
So now the question becomes what does the L wire with +12V do in the FJ55 circuit? Might be part of the Park circuit?
Also, in a 1978 FJ40 where the L wire is in the FJ55, is another ground wire.
I really need to see the page from the manual showing the wiper switch function table.

Got it!

Thanks again all,

I needed a bit of help on this in person also. I was comfortable that the motor worked as I had previsouly put power directly to it years ago. So we wired power from the battery directly to the motor this time and used the ground from the motor to the body. Motor was crusty and took a literal helping hand to get going, after 2-3 min was working up to speed.

Then we found an open ground on the 55 wiring really close to the switch, so grounded the switch to that white wire with black stripe. Then a little further upstream we found an open solid blue wire and wired that to the switch also. In my pics you are not able to see this blue as I took the pic after it was now taped up in to the switch bundle [sorry]. the white wire black stripe ground had a bullet connector and the solid blue had a white harness already, only assuming this was OEM to the 55 harness?

Then we plugged and played by trial and error on the other wires until we got the working wipers. Once we were at this point we re-ordered the wires to the switch so that they were correct per the wiring diagram.

I sketched the wiring out that we now have left at the switch and motor harness. Its not matching but hopefully it gets someone else along if they run in to this. Pics aren't too useful but maybe give comfort to someone that finds this area foreign like I did at first.
20200419_151646.jpg
20200419_151656.jpg
20200419_151714.jpg
20200419_151743.jpg

- Aaron

Attachments

• Wiper wiring.pdf
    31.9 KB · Views: 124
Great job abecker,
Maybe you could help me with mine. My switch is like yours the best I can tell, mine is a '7If I pull my switch the wipers move, but If I turn the knob, no spray. I replaced the original bottle and motor and got the same. I assume my original motor might be good now. I unplugged the switch and cleaned it, still same result. I did not remove the panel so I cannot see the wiring harness that well. Did the old reach and strain to get it plugged back up. Any thoughts? Wires are hot to the spray bottle. I was thinking did something need to plug in to th extra tab on the back ( the horizontal one separate from the harness plug) ? Thanks, any help would be much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom