Wiper change (yes, I feel dumb) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So.... I can't figure out how to get the wiper OFF and it's not covered in the manual under self maintenance. I feel that the little tab surrounded by metal should be pushed down or pushed up, but I can't get the wiper off the arm. I am trying to put some RainX wipers on. Any tips?

wiper.jpg

So.... I can't figure out how to get the wiper OFF and it's not covered in the manual under self maintenance. I feel that the little tab surrounded by metal should be pushed down or pushed up, but I can't get the wiper off the arm. I am trying to put some RainX wipers on. Any tips?

View attachment 3582599
In the circled part is a lever to push down to slide the wiper up off the wiper arm.

9319365C-074D-4007-BA03-CA335BBF0858.jpeg

If anyone wants the 3 blade replacement on OEM wiper frames these fit 10-23

From… Bell Lexus

I’ve used the same kits for years on my ‘12

Actually, the way these come off is to position the wiper the way it is in the picture and then push down towards the wiper arm.

Actually, the way these come off is to position the wiper the way it is in the picture and then push down towards the wiper arm.
If you didn't push down on the lever I circled before sliding it off then they weren't fully seated and locked. I had this same situation on another vehicle I bought used. The previous owner didn't lock the wiper down fully so it just slid right off. That's why I periodically check my wipers because I can only imagine the damage the wiper arm would do to the windscreen. LOL

Glad you got it worked out!

I've had good luck with OEM Lexus/Toyota wiper blade replacements. The blade itself is replaceable and is much cheaper then buying a whole new arm. Years ago consumer reports listed Toyota wipers among the best performers on the market.

I've had good luck with OEM Lexus/Toyota wiper blade replacements. The blade itself is replaceable and is much cheaper then buying a whole new arm. Years ago consumer reports listed Toyota wipers among the best performers on the market.
The best wipers I've ever had were the Lexus OEM ones. They're phenomenal.

My OEM Audi wipers were exceptional and for a much longer service interval compared with these. Just hit two years and already starting to see a slight chatter.

I just purchased the Rain-X Silicone Endura wipers. Looking at reviews they are either top rated or withing the top 5 on lists.
Generally no one can agree on the same product, but when a bunch of reviewers all put one or two or three products consistently at the top of their lists, I figure you can't go wrong.
You'll need the 20" and 26" sizes: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0857KDDDN?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

My OEM Audi wipers were exceptional and for a much longer service interval compared with these. Just hit two years and already starting to see a slight chatter.

Not sure if you use rain-x or other glass treatments at all, but I use rain-x and the rain-x washer fluid. The washer fluid really extends the life of the rain-x on the windshield. Prep is key for Rain-X, use a DA with a cutting pad and heavy compound, then clean well with IPA. Two coats of rain-x then buff off with microfiber towel. I've never had chatter with any wipers when using rain-x, but I only use OEM Toyota and Honda wipers.

This will be the first time using Rain-X wipers, and we're expecting both rain and snow this weekend as we go up to Tahoe.
This trip should vet out these wipers pretty good by the time we come home.
Will report back...

I just purchased the Rain-X Silicone Endura wipers. Looking at reviews they are either top rated or withing the top 5 on lists.
Generally no one can agree on the same product, but when a bunch of reviewers all put one or two or three products consistently at the top of their lists, I figure you can't go wrong.
You'll need the 20" and 26" sizes: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0857KDDDN?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
I put the same Rain-X wipers on my GX in January and they've been great in hard Texas rain, snow in Colorado, and everything else thrown at them. I've been using Bosch wipers for 15+ years, but decided to try Rain-X this time because they were a few dollars cheaper per blade.

My only observation has been that they are very noisy and grippy if there isn't enough water on the windshield (still need wipers, but just not heavy rain if you know what I mean), which is something I never experienced with Bosch. I think maybe because the Rain-X blades are stickier? My first thought was that might lead to decreased life because they drag hard over the glass in those scenarios, but who knows.

I put the same Rain-X wipers on my GX in January and they've been great in hard Texas rain, snow in Colorado, and everything else thrown at them. I've been using Bosch wipers for 15+ years, but decided to try Rain-X this time because they were a few dollars cheaper per blade.

My only observation has been that they are very noisy and grippy if there isn't enough water on the windshield (still need wipers, but just not heavy rain if you know what I mean), which is something I never experienced with Bosch. I think maybe because the Rain-X blades are stickier? My first thought was that might lead to decreased life because they drag hard over the glass in those scenarios, but who knows.
I too have been using Bosh wipers (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JU5W54/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 ) for quite some years now and this is my first try with Rain-X.
We're heading up to Tahoe for a couple weeks and there's supposed to be some weather on our drive up so I should get a good first hand on how these do in rain and snow.

Question about you comment on skipping, do they skip even if you use your windshield washer? Of if it's just a light mist, not enough to run down the windshield and then they skip?

Question about you comment on skipping, do they skip even if you use your windshield washer? Of if it's just a light mist, not enough to run down the windshield and then they skip?
They just skip/screech in very light rain or mist. Exactly, the type of rain where it just stays in drips on the windshield rather than roll down. No noise when I use the washer fluid.

Reactions: r2m
I really like the Rain X wipers and fluid. Now if I can just remember to tell the dealership not to top off my wiper fluid and dilute it.

I used to use RainX but now I'm an Invisible Glass convert. It doesn't streak like the RainX does and seems to clean up windows better when using their wipes or spray.

Reactions: r2m
I really like the Rain X wipers and fluid. Now if I can just remember to tell the dealership not to top off my wiper fluid and dilute it.
Ha-ha-ha!!
I JUST had that happen to me when I serviced my rig last week before coming up to Tahoe. I remembered and tried to call him to not top off the wiper fluid, but too late. They already had...
BTW, for anyone who's interested, those Rain-X Endura wiper blades have been great so far. We had some drizzle and sleet coming up and the wipers worked great! No streaking, skipping or noise. Hoping they don't develop into what Arailt had issues with.
Here are the Amazon part numbers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom