windshield wiper motor woes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Need help from folks that know. Here's what I got, 2/75 FJ40. I ordered a used wiper motor, you can tell some one has done some work on it. It works great on low and it parks, but when you switch it to high it moves about a 1/2" and stops. The motor is grounded and the Blue wire is hot at the motor with the Key on. With the connection unplugged at the motor with the switch on high the Blue and Red is grounded. With the connection plugged up the LR wire and the LB wires are grounded and the L and LW wires are hot. I'm I missing something or is there something wrong with the motor?

The connection at the motor unplugged switch off key on, Blue wire is hot no wires showing ground.
With switch on Low Blue wire is hot, LW wire is grounded.
With switch on High Blue wire is hot, LR wire is grounded

I have had to repair the wiper harness and replace the switch. So I may have something wrong but printed off everything @Coolerman had on the subject along with others before jumping in.

Bump:confused::worms:

Does this motor have the park switch on the outside of the motor housing like the one on my web site? You mentioned that someone had worked on it. Could they have wired the park switch incorrectly? A pic is worth a lot....

I'll try to get a pic for you tom. The switch I have looks a lot like the one in your write up @Coolerman. All the way in is off or park I guess. Pull it out one position, low. Pull it all the way out, high, no movement. Twist the knob, washer motor works. I'm sorry Mark misunderstood your question, I talked to the gentleman that I ordered the wiper motor from and he said to just return it. But I want to know what the problem is. Without taking the motor apart, who knows it might not be the motor. I have checked and double checked the switch as far as what wires are going to ground in what position.The motor does not have park switch on the outside if I'm understanding you right. I don't remember seeing the motor in your thread whole (or not taken apart) I'll look again. I printed out everything.
Thank you @Coolerman for your reply.

Oh yea got the bulb and connections, thanks.

Last edited:
Does this motor have the park switch on the outside of the motor housing like the one on my web site? You mentioned that someone had worked on it. Could they have wired the park switch incorrectly? A pic is worth a lot....
I don't know @Coolerman. I'll barrow some one's phone tom. Do you mind if I send the pic to your email?
On this motor, there 2 wires going into the housing where the gears are and looks like they have been resoldered. I'm sure they went inside and cleaned it up and made any repairs needed. The vender I've been using is great to work with, couldn't ask for any better. Stuff happens, I just want to make sure it is nothing I've done. Or if it is the motor, why is it not working like it should.

If the park switch is NOT on the outside then you have the version of the motor with the park switch internal. You said it parks so I would have to assume that is actually working correctly.

Your description of which wires are hot and grounded for each switch position is correct.

Before you send it back I would make one more test: Unplug the motor from the wiring harness. Make SURE the motor is grounded. Apply +12V to the blue lead and in turn ground the LB and LR the motor should run high speed when you ground LR and low speed when you ground LB. IF that works then the issue is in the wiring or the switch. If it doesn't then it's the motor.

Thanks @Coolerman that's exactly what I needed to know.

If the park switch is NOT on the outside then you have the version of the motor with the park switch internal. You said it parks so I would have to assume that is actually working correctly.

Your description of which wires are hot and grounded for each switch position is correct.

Before you send it back I would make one more test: Unplug the motor from the wiring harness. Make SURE the motor is grounded. Apply +12V to the blue lead and in turn ground the LB and LR the motor should run high speed when you ground LR and low speed when you ground LB. IF that works then the issue is in the wiring or the switch. If it doesn't then it's the motor.

@Coolerman, motor checked out to be bad.

Since the OP has resolved the issue and I won't be hijacking his thread I have a related question.
My motor is pretty slow on the high setting. I have had it apart and regreased it when I converted it to use it with an OEM intermittent switch. Is the switch limiting the power to the motor? Would adding a relay to the highspeed wire between the switch and the motor fix the issue?

Was it slow before you put the intermittent switch in? Unless the switch contacts need cleaning, I don't see adding the intermittent switch causing a slow down. Did you dress the brushes and motor commutator when you had it apart? Either of those can cause a motor to run slower and hotter. See this:

Thanks for the video. I seem to recall it being faster. It just seems to lack power in both low and hi settings now. I was planning to check voltage to the switch and amp draw in each position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom