Windshield wiper motor overhaul- Klixon overload protector (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanted to present this bit of info to the community as I think I discovered something that I have not seen mentioned and its something that alot of FJ60 owners might be struggling with. I have been unhappy with the slow speed of the wipers in my 1985 FJ60 for quite a while. After greasing all the pivots in the linkage, I still had horribly slow wipers. I took the motor apart and polished the commutator, checked voltage to the motor and checked the ground with a Ohmmeter and still not speed on the wipers. I took the motor apart again. Wish I took some pictures. There is a small Klixon motor overload protector on the baseplate where the brushes mount. There are 2 small points that connect normally when the motor is running and disconnect if the motor gets too hot. When the motor is running, all power flows through these 2 points in the Klixon overload protector. It my case the 2 points had welded themselves together and were creating a significant voltage drop to the motor. Thus no wiper speed. I carefully separated the points with a pick and cleaned the points with a bit of very fine sandpaper. At this point the points were out of adjustment due to me separating them ( they were stuck together). I carefully stuck a pick below the outer point arm and rebent the outer point arm so as to make contact, which I checked with a Ohm meter. So points were making better contact and not allowing voltage drop across the point junction. Then I tested the switch with a pocket lighter, points open when exposed to heat if they are adjusted properly. Reassembled the motor and boom, ive got like new wiper speed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom