Windshield Replacement Shop Recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,
I recently got a crack in my LX 470's windshield that is unfortunately too long to be repaired. I was searching for other things on Mud when I thought I would just look at some advice on glass. Whoa, I was pretty shocked to hear all the stories of Safelight (and others) doing incomplete installation, wind noise, using screws versus rivets etc... I didn't know 100s were such a headache with glass replacement. With that being said, has anyone here used a shop and had good experiences here in KC? Thanks

I’d go safelite and hold them accountable. There is a process to make it seal make sure they follow it. They did a Jeep windshield for me 20 years ago. It took them 3 pieces of glass to get it in but they took full responsibility for the broken ones. Recently I contacted them to reseal a cruiser windshield and they only do replacements when you buy glass from them. I’ve also had them do crack repair while on vacation, when I took a rock in Alabama and it started to spider out. We were able to time it with a long lunch stop to get it stoped.

Supreme Glass in Belton. They have done windshields in everything from Peterbilt 579s to my 80. They are quick and will come to you if you give them a day to two notice. In 50 or so windshields I can remember one reseal issue and they took care of it same day.

Don't waste your time with safelite. They were rolling their eyes at me when trying to inquire if they know about using rivets for the trim pieces.

Luckily my crack is low enough to not get in my eye sight. I'm holding out until finding a competent installer locally. If not, I'm going to visit a LC dense area like Colorado and get it done there. I've already purchased all new trim pieces, just needing to find the right shop.

I went to Kryger Glass & Carsten Auto - Auto Glass Repair - KS, MO , NE, IA. They are a windshield supply company but also do installs. I gave my normal glass gut a call and he said he could do it but wasn't that comfortable installing windshields with gaskets and recommended Kryger to me. He said they have the best installers. When I called them they were polite and got me in and out.

I went to Kryger Glass & Carsten Auto - Auto Glass Repair - KS, MO , NE, IA. They are a windshield supply company but also do installs. I gave my normal glass gut a call and he said he could do it but wasn't that comfortable installing windshields with gaskets and recommended Kryger to me. He said they have the best installers. When I called them they were polite and got me in and out.
How did they do for you? Would you go back if needed? Which branch did you use, there are two in KC?

I'm partial to Kryger glass since I have known the family for probably 20 years now. They fixed up my leaking windshield for me probably a year or two ago and it's been dry ever since.

I think the key with these things, at least with 80 windshields, is to follow the service manual and use a factory gasket. They should be able to accommodate that and you'll be in good shape with them.

Jack

How did they do for you? Would you go back if needed? Which branch did you use, there are two in KC?
I went to the one off of Troost, I work downtown so it was convenient to drop it off on my way into work and pick it up at the end of the day. I did buy an OEM gasket that I brought with me, everything i read on here stated it was critical to use a factory gasket to ensure a good seal.

Well, things happen in my household in two's so I need to do my daughters 4runner and Yoda.... will give Kryger a call.

If Kryger doesn’t work out I also recommend Supreme auto glass. They do all our trucks to the tune of 40-50 windshields a year.

Kryger was great. Did both kids cars, Yoda and daughters 08' 4runner. They were on time, professional and really good to work with. I got the seal from Toyota for the 80 so it is OEM... FYI, the 80 series was an amazing difference. Really hard to describe. There was no crack on it, we had some weld burns left over from the conversion that were annoying in the right light, so that is why we did it; however, I am thinking about doing Boost because it is so clear now. @kc_chevota I know you did your lately, did you notice such a change?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom