Windshield procedure help and advice wanted! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First off, I have never removed (until today) or installed a windshield before.

...I've got the windshield out of my LX450 for some minor rust repair and pm. It was already cracked and I hated wondering what was beneath the bubbled paint. There is way to much invested in the Snorkel Bus to let her rot!

...anyhow, the cancer has not spread and the patient will make a full recovery!

Now I need some help...

1. The windshield gasket appears to be in great shape after removal and I think I will reuse it. Toughts on that?

2. Can someone direct me to the procedure for installing the glass correctly? I do not want to trust an installer blindly.

3. Could I just do this myself? I am concerned about cracking the new one.

4. If I do it myself, where do I buy it and how should I transport it safely?

I have heard the LX450 bronze glass is more than a grand!! I would rather get basic glass for less than $200.

thanks all

I would say to get a shop to do it. I would do it myself it my LC was a beater just for experience and giggles. I helped a friend to it once on a Toyota mintruck and I remember it needing 2 people.

Toyota specifies using a liquid sealer on both sides of the gasket. If yours does not have it on the old gasket then it was not kosher to begin with. Hard to reuse the gasket with that old sealer stuck all over it.

Thanks for posting this up. Saw a rig that had rolled, and the windshield popped out, so I was thinking you could remove like an old bug glass. Two people pushing with their feet and someone rolling the gasket off.

I have watched several installations on 80s, and I would not do it myself. Way too fiddley!

Toyota specifies using a liquid sealer on both sides of the gasket. If yours does not have it on the old gasket then it was not kosher to begin with. Hard to reuse the gasket with that old sealer stuck all over it.
That is what I concluded. There was no sealer except for about 10" on either side on the frame.

Thanks for posting this up. Saw a rig that had rolled, and the windshield popped out, so I was thinking you could remove like an old bug glass. Two people pushing with their feet and someone rolling the gasket off.
We got it out with welding wire then pushed it out

Did you have to cut the old gasket like the FSM shows?
We did not have to cut the gasket with a blade like the first step shows. We freed the gasket from trim and anywhere else it was tucked. Then used the wire between the frame and the gasket instead of the window and gasket. I didn't care about the paint getting scratched since I'm repairing metal and prepping in there.

...I can now pull the gasket off the window and see plainly that there is no adhesive at all on it.

@beno I tried to find a phone number or email for you to get a price on the gasket. ...no luck sir.

Alright, here's the cancer after wire brushing all the loose bits off. I am glad I didn't let it go any longer!

20170726_090451.jpg

20170726_090503.jpg

20170726_090443.jpg

I just did this last week. It was easier than I had expected it to be.

1.) I would definately use a new gasket. Make sure all adhesive and old gaske is removed from the window frame.
2.) Definately go by the FSM procedure and don't forget to tamp it down with your hands which is one of the last procedures. Also make sure you use poly cord to pull the gasket over the frame. I used hemp twine and it broke towards the end. Also the poly should slip through the rubber lip better than twine or cotton.
3.) You can definately do this yourself. Just don't tamp down too hard.
4.) I used my old window, I changed it because it leaked and I was replacing the headliner.

Good luck.

I just did this last week. It was easier than I had expected it to be.

1.) I would definately use a new gasket. Make sure all adhesive and old gaske is removed from the window frame.
2.) Definately go by the FSM procedure and don't forget to tamp it down with your hands which is one of the last procedures. Also make sure you use poly cord to pull the gasket over the frame. I used hemp twine and it broke towards the end. Also the poly should slip through the rubber lip better than twine or cotton.
3.) You can definately do this yourself. Just don't tamp down too hard.
4.) I used my old window, I changed it because it leaked and I was replacing the headliner.

Good luck.
Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom