Winch cable theft prevention ideas? (1 Viewer)

I just got new synthetic winch line for my Warn M12000. Cost a bundle. I have been thinking about how easy it would be for someone to just steal it. And my cruiser get's parked at my office garage for like a week at a time. It is secure (in theory), but about 500 folks pass by every day. Has anyone done anything to make the cable itself tougher to steal? I hate thieves!!!

stevezero

SILVER Star
You could try putting a padlock thru the cable eye and lock it to something else on the front bumper.

Is there any quick way to make the knob removable on a new warn winch? I think that would do it. I have thought about locking the front thimble. But I am worried someone could just cut it off, and take the rest of the cable.

kevinmrowland

Forum Lifer
I would think that anybody that is going to think to steal a synthetic cable would most likely know that a pocket knife could just as easily disengage the clutch as the lever can.
Just remember, out of sight, out of mind.

You could try putting a padlock thru the cable eye and lock it to something else on the front bumper.
0582012_450_CC_321c1.jpg

I'd have to agree about the cover. Out of sight, out of mind. I've never seen it done, but maybe you could get a lock box fabricated to cover the roller fairlead and hook. Just an idea......

Were I a thief I sure wouldn't waste my time unspooling all that cable to steal it. I'd be taking the whole winch; maybe the whole truck. Kinda a PITA to steal just the cable IMHO and most thieves are lazy SOB's... What's the street value of a stolen winch cable anyway? Gotta be less than a stereo or CD's or other more easily stolen item.

Nick

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member
Were I a thief I sure wouldn't waste my time unspooling all that cable to steal it. I'd be taking the whole winch; maybe the whole truck. Kinda a PITA to steal just the cable IMHO and most thieves are lazy SOB's... What's the street value of a stolen winch cable anyway? Gotta be less than a stereo or CD's or other more easily stolen item.

Nick

I tack welded the nuts that secure the winch and bumper on my 40. I can still grind the welds off if ned be but I'm hoping they will be enough to deter a would be theif.

As far as the street value of cable, they may just want it for their own use. Not all off roaders are as nice as LC people.

i dont have a warn winch, but if i winch the cable on mine till its tight i would brake the clutch lever off before it would release, unless i give it some slack first.

But if you could keep it covered- out of sight out of mind.

The only other bad thing would be if someone spooled about half the cable off and then wrapped it around a lightpole or another vehicle or something!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom