wilson switch conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
I have a 1984 HJ47 which is in a very standard condition having only owned it for a few months it now just won't start ,its not getting any power to the glow plugs.Before this happened i would have to cycle through the glowing process 3 to 4 times on a cold start up.What i would like to do is covert it to a manual glow and bypass the super glow system.Could someone please guide me through what I have to do to achieve this, I have searched and understand the basics of it but would like a detailed list of components and materials needed and what I need to remove from the super glow system.
Thanks in advance

I used a Ford style starter relay/solenoid to make this set up with my Isuzu 4BD2 diesel swap.

The Ford style relay carries all the load and is connected to the battery and the glow plugs with appropriate sized wire/cable. I installed a circuit breaker on this also. The relay is grounded, and a I used a momentary push button switch to activate the glow plugs. The push switch connects to the 2 small lugs on the relay and can be wired with 12g wire, as it carries no real load.

When used, the relay makes a "Clunk/Thud" sounds when it closes. The push button switch closes the relay.

The Ford relay is dependable, cheap, and readily available. It is also known as a starter relay.

Google has some wiring diagrams for this -

manual glow plug switch diagram - Google Search

Hope this helps.

Are you sure your superglow is not salvageable? They are great when they are working.

If not, then when you rip it all out, you get a lot of the parts you need.

When I swapped my BJ44 over to an HZ engine, I reused the main glow relay to get power to the bus bar to the plugs... I used a stock toyota momentary switch I found and grabbed my wire from my glow fuse to power the switch, then routed the other side to the relay. The relay power was from battery through the fusible links (IIRC) and then to the bus bar... Let me know if you have questions... either the primary or secondary replay should be fine as they are pretty robust. I just wanted to use the primary as I know that it was getting full 24v though it while the secondary was only getting 12v...

BIG WIRES - battery - 120A breaker - 120A relay (of the old superglow system) - Glow plugs (get 12v ones - ebay)
+
SMALL WIRES - battery - 10A breaker - push switch in dash - 120A relay (above)

pretty simple install I did idt recently with my HJ47 (1983) I used the old glow plug indicator light as the switch hole.

Here are 2 set ups for a "Wilson Switch"
You have a super glow system so you don't have the glow controller as in the lower picture. Go for the top one.
glow systems set ups.JPG

The relay is a Starter Relay (aka FORD starter relay) like one of these:
starter-glow1.jpg
starter-glow2.jpg
starter-glow3.jpg

The BIG terminals (A and B) are for the battery and the glow plugs.
The small terminals are marked I (Ignition) and S (Starter). You use only the I terminal.
The housing is ground.
Don't forget to replace your glow plugs.

Here is the complete diagram
solenoid03_check light_vincent2.jpg

Rudi

Last edited:
keep an eye on oil pressure since bypassing the stock system may run the engine dry of oil. Super glow is a simple easy to understand system, a reassuring way for a good starting and long lasting engine.

How does bypassing Superglow make the engine run dry? I cannot fathom a connection.

I think Cruiserdeisel is confused between the EDIC and the Superglow?

the only risk to replacing with a switch is that you accidentally hold it on and kill your plugs and drain your battery

Pull your glow plugs and check for continuity and condition. Since it's a ''new to you'' truck I would start fresh and change all fluids belts hoses and of course '' Fuel Filter''
Check and look for cracks in your fuel lines including the ones feeding the fuel filter. '' Wont Start'' could mean you have an air leak, the diesel will not run if air enters the system no matter how strong the batteries are !
Diesel needs to be warm for combustion, so that is why I say pull the glow plugs. If you don't see any leaks it is still possible to get air in the system.
*** Have you bled the system from the primer pump and bleed nipple on the fuel filter ? attach a hose from the nipple to an empty bottle and pump the primer until no air is in the system. If you still have air after 50 pumps then you likely have an air leak in the system.

The motor needs only 4 things : an air free system, enough power for the starter, quality fuel, working injectors.

Also view the other post :
3b-t lost power; ideas?

Mac

I can easily be confused. So with a wilson switch. Your not bypassing the edic? SO.... your low oil pressure shut off still works?

A Wilson switch replaces the complex super glow system that powers the glow plugs. EDIC is not involved at all.

I recommend fixing the super glow if possible- it's complex, but works really well. I'd only put a wilson switch in if I knew that some of the more expensive relays were toast and didn't want to track down replacements.

One word of warning though, and a depressing thought, is that a "failing glow system" can have similar symptoms to a low compression engine in need of rebuilding. If you are seeing power on the glow bus bar, and all the glow plugs are working OK, you may want to do a compression test next...

afish67 that is good to here - can I ask where you got your 12v glow plugs? I had trouble finding mine and we are both in Aus.

If I bought I new to me HJ47 - the first thing I would do is remove the superglow - if it cant be fixed on the side of the road it doesnt belong in an old landcruiser.

Ok my Wilson switch set up was working great but this morning I went to start it and was getting a rapid chatter noise coming from the solenoid when I pushed the button? Any ideas where to start to look or is it a faulty solenoid?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom