This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My72 fj40 will not start. It did start after winter storage but would run maybe on 4 cylinders. I came our of it after a short time. This actually started last fall before I put it in storage. Once the engine was warmed up , it would start and run fine. Now it will not start. It did briefly , sounded like 2 cylinders were running. I tried starting with starting fluid and did not help. Seems like an ignition problem to me. Where should I start? Thank you in advance....

Spark
Fuel
Air

I’d start with those three things.

Points ignition? Checked them lately?

How new/old is the gas?

I agree with @bkfj40

Points ignition? Checked them lately?

How new/old is the gas?

I agree with @bkfj40
Gas is new, I suspect the points as well. I have a tester to check for to see if gear is spark at the plugs. Just need another hand.

My 72 FJ40 sat from before 2010 until a few weeks ago. It had no spark, so I filed the points in the Delco dizzy and set them to the gap wrote in grease pencil on the under side of the hood. Electric fuel pump was dead too. Used my spare electric pump to remove about 15 gallons of sta-bil treated gas. Yes it was "bad" but at least resembled gasoline. New gas with PRI-G and she fired right up.

I had taken the best parts from like 3 dizzy's to make one - rotor shaft still has too much play IMHO. I could buy a new china one from Amoron for like $90, however I think I will try and make a bushing for mine first.

Should be done with the brakes shoes today, new hydraulic clutch components 2 weeks ago - master slave and stainless steel hose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom