Will FJ80 knuckles fit 1974 FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not on your 74 axle, the knuckle bell is too small to accommodate the FJ80 knuckle.

Yes fj60 and mini truck knuckles will fit the knuckle balls.

I'd personally find a complete mini truck front axle on craigs for cheap and you will have most of what you need as well as caliper and rotor cores for the auto parts store when you buy new.

Yes-you will need all the parts from a 60 (or Mini-truck) knuckles, spindles, hubs rotor calipers, birfields, etc.

Plus a new master cylinder too.

A solid, well worth it upgrade. The double slave drum brakes totally suck.

Yes-you will need all the parts from a 60 (or Mini-truck) knuckles, spindles, hubs rotor calipers, birfields, etc.

Plus a new master cylinder too.

A solid, well worth it upgrade. The double slave drum brakes totally suck.

Drew
Can you tell me where the best write-up is about swapping everything you mentioned?
I also need the best write-up on power steering swap from 80 to 40
I have all the parts I know some grinding and steering arms need to be done.
It's a 71 FJ40 I'm working on.

I don't know of a write up, but it's super straight forward.

Remove all the old stuff-you can do this the easy way with minimal disassembly-pop off the felt retainers, remove the steering arm, remove the c-clip on the end of the axle, remove the brake line, and rotate the whole mess down and pull off as a unit. Then you'll need to pop the birf off the inner axle and replace with the FJ60 birf(likely you will need a new inner c clip). Note: THe FJ60 birf and axle short side will work as is, the long side on the FJ40 is shorter than the 60 long side, so you need to swap the FJ60 birf onto the FJ40 inner axle.

Then it's just a knuckle rebuild. New races, bearings, knuckle, you may need to slightly grind the bell to fit the slightly larger birfields. Install knuckle, axles/birfs/ steering arms, spindle/backing plate, hub/rotor, caliper, end of axle c-clip, locking hub, rubber and felt seals. I think you can use a 76-83 brake master cylinder.

THe hole in the steering arm for the tie rod will be larger than the stock FJ40 but it sounds like you're changing steering anyway.

If anyone near you is familiar with the Toyota front end, they can guide you through the process. It looks like a much harder job than it is.

Drew Thank you for the reply.
Who makes the best seals gaskets bearings?
My intension is a total disassembly of the entire axle.
Degrease sandblast and powder coat along with everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom