Will 15 inch rim fit on FZJ 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm wonder that will 15 inch rim fit on FZJ 80? Mine came with stock 16 alloy rims but I have 15 inch tires to use in garage but I don't have rims yet, so I'm thinking should I get or not, it seems very close already with 16 inch... but somebody could tell please.

the fronts will fit fine, you will have to grind down the back calipers to fit, or you could run a wheel spacer so they will clear the calipers

You will have to grind the front and rear calipers to make it fit if you have the full floater axle or just get 1.5 spacers and you will not need to grind nothing, just bolt on and play. My friend had some extra 1 inch spacers that he gave me and i have a 91 with 94 axles front and back. I had to grind just a little to clear the rim. Here is a picture of how it looks!
downsized_0209111152.jpg
downsized_0209111153.jpg

It depends, my 94 has a SF rear axle and I run 15's.
It is really close in the front to the caliper but I did not have to grind.
ANd I also think that not all 15's would fit fit my truck.
If you have a FF rear they would fit with the right amount of backspacing and or spacers.
But I do not know for sure.

I had the SF with no issues running the 15" rim. Thats how it came stock with the 91-92 models. I know some of the 93-94 came with the rear SF as well, but came with the stock 16" rim. Not the 15" rim like the 91-92s. I don't know if kidgloves front axle has the bigger calipers that the 93-97 models have. If he does then he will need the spacers so no grinding will be needed or just grind the calipers to make it fit.
Now kidglove says that he has a SF rear axle, so he can run 15" OEM Toyota rims with no issues. After market rims have different backspacing, so you will have to look futher into it. Goodluck and thanks for the info kidglove.

I'm wonder that will 15 inch rim fit on FZJ 80? Mine came with stock 16 alloy rims but I have 15 inch tires to use in garage but I don't have rims yet, so I'm thinking should I get or not, it seems very close already with 16 inch... but somebody could tell please.

Where you at? If you are close Ill trade you my factory 15"ers for your 16"ers :)

You will have to grind the front and rear calipers to make it fit if you have the full floater axle or just get 1.5 spacers and you will not need to grind nothing, just bolt on and play. My friend had some extra 1 inch spacers that he gave me and i have a 91 with 94 axles front and back. I had to grind just a little to clear the rim. Here is a picture of how it looks!
downsized_0209111152.jpg
downsized_0209111153.jpg

you dont need to grind the front calipers, its the same front axle thats on the 91-92, only the rear calipers need modifications

If MAD MARK has a FF on the rear axle, chances are he has the bigger front axle. If he has the SF rear axle, he will likely to have the smaller front axle to fit the OEM Toyota 15" rim.
I don't personally know if the 91-94 LCs that have the rear SF axle came with the smaller front axles. I thought only the 91-92 versions came with the smaller front axles to fit the 15" OEM rims.
I tried to put my OEM 15rim on my 94 front axle that came with the rear FF axle and it srapes. No way will the 15" rim will fit on the bigger front axle without grinding the calipers or using 1-1.5" spacers to make it fit correctly. I just came from my garage and did a test fit to prove what i am saying is correct.

the fronts will fit fine, you will have to grind down the back calipers to fit, or you could run a wheel spacer so they will clear the calipers

The grinding of the rear calipers was minimal on my 97 when I put on some steel 7x15 rims from an 84 toy pickup. Took less than 10 minutes including a squirt of primer and paint.

However, this is with a narrower than stock rim, with less offset (inner rim doesn't go in as far)

The fronts fit with no mods.

It's been a while.
I had a chance to test fit 15 inch steel rim, I don't know what kind of rim but it's just steel rim, size was 15 by 8 and back space is about 3.75 inch.
I don't what kind axle I have it's 1995 LC with locker. rim hit rear caliper little so I couldn't tight lug nut all way in, however when I away rim from hub like 1/2 it seems not hit, so I guess I need wheel spacer or different rim has less back space. Front seems fits ok but it very little space between inner rim side and caliper.

I was looking at Pro Comp steel rim 98 or 52 model has 2.5 inch back space, I hope it will clear caliper.

One thing little worry is rim rating is 1600 lb only will it hold ok? Some guy suggested me weld it.

Or use wheel spacer but they are expensive.

I was looking at Pro Comp steel rim 98 or 52 model has 2.5 inch back space, I hope it will clear caliper.

The 15" toyota steelies I fitted had 2.5 backspace, and required minor clearancing of the rear caliper bracket. Nothing structural.

If you have an angle grinder, it will take you 10 mins to clearance the first side, and 5 mins to do the other side.

I had steel rim borrow to test fit, rim was 15 by 8, 3.75 back space, I take picture for front to what you guys think. It's not touching to inner rim but it's very close.
So I'm hoping rim with 2.5 back space clear from caliper better, at least 1.25 inch away so hope it will work.

86tuning, how much you had to grind? 1/8 or so?

100_2679.jpg

100_2680.jpg

100_2681.jpg

Sorry to bring back an old thread but my local pick n pull has some 15" 6lug wheels with 33" MT tires in good condition. They don't want much for the set but I'm a little nervious about fitment on my '94. Its a 5/94 build, how can I tell if I have SF or the bigger FF axles?

Look at the back of the rear axle, if you have a bolted cover on thebavk then it is a SF, if it is smooth welded like the front, then it is a FF.

Also you can Take a look at the rear hub, if you have a bolted on flange sticking out of the middle then, similar to the front, it is a FF, if you can't tell, pull off the rear wheel, if you have a disc brake then it is a FF if you have a big drum brake then it is a SF. Also, if you have 15" wheels now, you probably have a SF, if you have 16" wheels then its probably a FF, but pulling the wheel is gonna tell you for sure.

You guys are a bunch of cheap asses.

So anyone figure out what the magic numbers are for a 15" rim with no rubbing on the rear calipers?

I been contemplating it since the price difference between the tires are about $89 a tire. I have 1.25" spacers and would like to go 15" rims. However after buying new wheels it might not make the effort of 15" rims worth it.

You wont have to grind any calipers with 1.25 spacers, so long the back spacing on the rim is close to OEM specs

You wont have to grind any calipers with 1.25 spacers, so long the back spacing on the rim is close to OEM specs

Can anyone verify that OEM 15" wheels off a semifloat rear axle will fit on a full float axle with 1.25" spacers.

Yes it will

I took a chance and got the 15s from pick n pull. Going to test fit tomorrow. If they work I'll repaint them if not I can make my money back and sell them for what I paid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom