Why the difference between upper and lower caliper slide pins? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.linkedin.com
I’m replacing my rear brake pads because one of my lower slide pins wasn’t moving freely enough, resulting in excessive outer pad wear. I bought new pins but the ones with the bushing still do not want to slide very well.

I should mention that I cleaned the inside of the hole very thoroughly with a .357 bore brush and brakleen. I started with a healthy serving of Silaramic on the pin but I’ve since removed almost all of it from both the pin and the hole, and it still doesn’t want to slide. It seems the bushing is just too fat for the hole.

Anyone know if I’d run into problems if I used four upper pins (all pins with no bushing)?

I’m replacing my rear brake pads because one of my lower slide pins wasn’t moving freely enough, resulting in excessive outer pad wear. I bought new pins but the ones with the bushing still do not want to slide very well.

I should mention that I cleaned the inside of the hole very thoroughly with a .357 bore brush and brakleen. I started with a healthy serving of Silaramic on the pin but I’ve since removed almost all of it from both the pin and the hole, and it still doesn’t want to slide. It seems the bushing is just too fat for the hole.

Anyone know if I’d run into problems if I used four upper pins (all pins with no bushing)?

The bushings dampen noise. Buy the correct new lower slider pins with the bushings. I suspect you removed the bushings from the pins, which should never be done.

The bushings dampen noise. Buy the correct new lower slider pins with the bushings. I suspect you removed the bushings from the pins, which should never be done.
I am currently using 4 brand new, fully intact pins. Two with bushings and two without.

If the bushing is only there to dampen noise, I may try using 4 new pins without bushings instead of two of each.

Yes, pins are straight from the Toyota dealer.

2x 47715-60010 (upper pin without the bushing)
2x 47715-60020 (lower pin with the bushing)

For clarity, instead of 2 of each I am considering using 4x 47715-60010.

Upon further examination it appears that the two different pin types have slightly different shapes. The bushing-less pins are round with three flat spots that run along the length of the shaft. The pins with bushings are perfectly round. They also have a small bronze(?) bushing on the end. Photo comparison of the old pins is attached.

Now instead of using 4x 47715-60010 I am considering removing the rubber bushings from 2x 47715-60020 pins and using them like that.

Am I gunna die?

4C9769BE-7C6F-4CA5-BB2E-C6C14F1DCD62.jpeg

Update.... after leaving the brand new stock lower pins (with bushings) inside their lightly greased holes for a few days, everything is suddenly and inexplicably sliding very smoothly. I guess I was worried about nothing!

Sorry Mr. T, I will put more faith in you in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom