Why didn't you guys tell me - Now a 570 Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So today I was supposed to do wheels and tires on the LX. I fought for 2 hours this morning with it not starting again. Tried the EFI fuse (and just about every other fuse out of desperation), EFI relay etc. and got nowhere. Threw in the towel and having it towed to a shop. So by virtue of that the '16LC gets the tires and wheels instead and also gets the nod for our upcoming trip. Right now I'm thinking this is the end of the line with me and this LX. This has been the only Land Cruiser I've ever had that has been remotely quirky and I'm about at my limit. Haven't had it long enough to get attached to it but I sure liked how it was all coming together.

Ugh. So sorry to hear, and I don't blame you a bit for being about done. When a Land Cruiser/LX won't reliably start? -Kinda defeats the entire concept of the ultimate get-you-there-and-back vehicle. Bummer. Will you replace it with another?

Probably a smart choice to move on. Especially while its in quasi stock form.

So today I was supposed to do wheels and tires on the LX. I fought for 2 hours this morning with it not starting again. Tried the EFI fuse (and just about every other fuse out of desperation), EFI relay etc. and got nowhere. Threw in the towel and having it towed to a shop. So by virtue of that the '16LC gets the tires and wheels instead and also gets the nod for our upcoming trip. Right now I'm thinking this is the end of the line with me and this LX. This has been the only Land Cruiser I've ever had that has been remotely quirky and I'm about at my limit. Haven't had it long enough to get attached to it but I sure liked how it was all coming together.

Sorry to hear that!

Though don't give up on her so quick. This sounds like a classic immobilizer issue. Does the flashing light go out when you bring the key close? I could be as simple as a battery issue?

Hope you got this figured out.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Gotta vent sometimes!!!

@TeCKis300 Immobilizer is high on the hit list. It's the only thing I haven't really looked hard at; mainly for lack of understanding.

I'm not completely ready to let it go but man I'm VERY close right now. If the local shop can get it sorted and I can put some serious startups and miles on it quick and have it be 100% trouble free then I might keep it. It appears to be in great shape otherwise for its age and miles but now would be alot easier to unload it before I become attached to it. (I'm really good at buying and not so good at selling LOL.)

I have entirely too many cars and I was/am thinking I will sell the built 100 but she started up fine this morning when the LX would not sooooo who knows. When I built the 100 it was my dream vehicle . Looking at trading in my 15 Denali HD on a 17/18 and it might be easiest to just let the LX go in that trade deal too. It also would reduce the taxable footprint of the deal so win/win.

Glad I had another 200 ready to step in for the trip is the main thing on my mind for now. I won't even start to deal with the LX until we get back and hopefully the local shop has an answer. The EVO's got put on the blue '16 today. Man the wheels and Ridge Grapplers look NIIIIIIIICE. It was a nice way to salvage the day so to speak.

Been pouring rain today and even had a tornado touch down so sorry for the quality of the pic. Guess 'ole blue is gonna need its own thread soon...
49F5CD44-CF24-496E-89EC-58818B87D98D_1.jpg

Man, I love that blue color. Wheels look great on it!

@TeCKis300 Immobilizer is high on the hit list. It's the only thing I haven't really looked hard at; mainly for lack of understanding.

I'm not completely ready to let it go but man I'm VERY close right now. If the local shop can get it sorted and I can put some serious startups and miles on it quick and have it be 100% trouble free then I might keep it. It appears to be in great shape otherwise for its age and miles but now would be alot easier to unload it before I become attached to it. (I'm really good at buying and not so good at selling LOL.)

I have entirely too many cars and I was/am thinking I will sell the built 100 but she started up fine this morning when the LX would not sooooo who knows. When I built the 100 it was my dream vehicle . Looking at trading in my 15 Denali HD on a 17/18 and it might be easiest to just let the LX go in that trade deal too. It also would reduce the taxable footprint of the deal so win/win.

Glad I had another 200 ready to step in for the trip is the main thing on my mind for now. I won't even start to deal with the LX until we get back and hopefully the local shop has an answer. The EVO's got put on the blue '16 today. Man the wheels and Ridge Grapplers look NIIIIIIIICE. It was a nice way to salvage the day so to speak.

Been pouring rain today and even had a tornado touch down so sorry for the quality of the pic. Guess 'ole blue is gonna need its own thread soon...
Can't stop looking at this picture. Very nice!

It most definitely is the immobilizer. I went through 3 months of trying to DIY fix the issue. Replaced the immobilizer and transmitter. Was expensive, but worked.

It most definitely is the immobilizer. I went through 3 months of trying to DIY fix the issue. Replaced the immobilizer and transmitter. Was expensive, but worked.

That stinks but I really have run out of other/cheaper places to look!

Great photo, was literally just wondering what a blue 2017 would look like with the gray EVO's and boom. Would love to see any other photos you have of this rig, I am strongly considering pairing these wheels with a blue LC and haven't seen any other images of this combo anywhere.

@largetalons I'll try to get some more pics and start a new thread on the blue one. It is hell getting pics of that blue to reflect what the eye is seeing.

Really sharp looking! I love those wheels. You're going to like those Ridge Grapplers - I've had mine a few months and they're already one of my top 3 favorite tires of all time.

Really sharp looking! I love those wheels. You're going to like those Ridge Grapplers - I've had mine a few months and they're already one of my top 3 favorite tires of all time.

Question re your ridge grapplers. Have you taken your RG's through gravel? I'm curious as I've been considering them, but have heard some say they struggle with gravel inclines, etc. Any thoughts on that?

Question re your ridge grapplers. Have you taken your RG's through gravel? I'm curious as I've been considering them, but have heard some say they struggle with gravel inclines, etc. Any thoughts on that?

I did have them on some higher speed gravel roads in Moab like 20-45mph so no experience with slow uphill trails, but I don't see how they could be any worse than another all terrain like the KO2.

I did have them on some higher speed gravel roads in Moab like 20-45mph so no experience with slow uphill trails, but I don't see how they could be any worse than another all terrain like the KO2.

Thanks. I don't mean to suggest they are worse. Just curious. Tires are a big expenditure for me...just trying to learn more as they are still really new to the market.

Christmas comes again!!!!

Alu-Cab Fridge slide, 100w solar panel for the 200.

Alu-Cab Shadow-Awn and a Skottle for the Turtleback.

686A4EA5-FF1B-45F6-AFCB-A4E5DB56BD5B.jpg

iPotato Bokeh Skottle shot:
4DD86871-D8B6-4A2D-A9FB-D3AAA2CB2745.jpg

A68693C8-9B0B-46D6-A5B2-65432DABBF51.jpg

Gotta start preparing for the burning arms that always come along with mounting an awning!
Checking out the Shadow Awn myself, did you ever install it on your LC or LX? wanted to see if there were any issues with clearance when the rear hatch is up.

Edit: Nevermind! i just found your Ole'Blue build thread! looks great on the Turtleback!

Checking out the Shadow Awn myself, did you ever install it on your LC or LX? wanted to see if there were any issues with clearance when the rear hatch is up.

Edit: Nevermind! i just found your Ole'Blue build thread! looks great on the Turtleback!

I can't sing the praises of the Shadow Awn enough. It is sooooo much more stout than the Foxwing it replaced. @cboyd has a Shadow Awn on his 100 and I believe the hatch touches the fabric but operationally it is perfectly fine.

Updates on the LX:

Random No Start Issue
Thought I'd update the thread on a few things. The mysterious non-starting has gone away. The starter completely died on me however so I had it towed to a friends house who put a new one on. Perhaps the starter was the source of those intermittent woes? Time will tell; I still lean towards a random immobilizer issue but we will see if it manifests itself again.

CTEK Dual Batt BMS
Now on to another electrical issue on the vehicle on a system several of you were interested in: Saddly the CTEK system has not panned out the way I had hoped it would. It is not charging the second batt the way it should if at all many times. It is not delivering power to the house side accessories the way it should and now the super cool voltmeter with estimated hours remaining is inoperable also. I've replaced batteries to make sure that was not at fault and fully topped them off prior to handing over those duties to the CTEK.

I've checked wiring diagrams from CTEK and that is not the problem. I've emailed CTEK and that has been lackluster as well. In reading the literature I suspect one issue is the temp sensors are preventing the system from pretty much doing it's job at all due to being located in the engine bay. It's 100F ambient around here plenty; without the engine running, and not in a metal box like a vehicle. The max operating range is 122F and it says it reduces performance at the upper temp range. That just doesn't seem designed for an engine bay in my opinion.

I'm going to throw in the towel with this expensive setup and probably go with a simple Blue Sea ACR setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom