Why are my Torsion Bars Losing Height? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello and Happy New Year Everyone,
I installed new Old Man Emu torsion bars back in April and got an alignment, and a few months after I switched over, I noticed the left side was sagging about an inch lower than the right, so I went and got it realigned. About a week later the left side was back down an inch again. The bolt and nut for adjusting the torsion bar seemed a bit tired when doing the work, but since the torsion bars are brand new, I don't think the bars themselves are the culprit.
Any ideas as to what could be causing the left side to sag lower than the right? Could it possibly be the threads on the Bolt (90101-18010) and Nut (48169B) are slipping and those parts need replacing?

Thanks,
Tom

Does anyone have any ideas?

Being that they are technically springs, they could be settling. Mine settled in after about 3-5000 miles and I readjusted. But I did replace the adjustment bolt and anchor when I did my torsion bars. I doubt the bolt and anchor are worn that bad on yours or in my opinion they’d probably strip completely out not just a little.

Torsion bars do settle, but it's usually within the first few hundred or so miles.

Also, another thought... when you adjust and measure are you adjusting, driving, and then measuring? Or adjust and measure? The suspension needs to travel and set in per se before your measurement. What are your hub to fender measurements?

Any weird clunks when the front IFS articulates? Possible the splines of the torsion may have been stripped. How’s the torsion bar bolt, still tight enough not to be turned by hand?

I have OME heavys and they have settled over the years. I have an ARB bumper and 9000lb winch to help them settle.
I gave myself two turn on the adjusters this weekend to discover that was all I had left. It got me an inch back but if I need more I will need to re-index them.

I had a '95 Nissan Hardbody I really enjoyed until a tree fell on it. The stock bars settled a lot with the same set up (ARB and a Warn)

Last edited:
Any chance you've been putting on some pounds? It'd have to be pretty dramatic, but could cause a leftward sag . . . .

I cannot imagine that massive adjusting nut stripping--that thing is a monster. But if in doubt, lift the front end, back it out 5 or so turns (keep count), see if the threads look good, and then screw it back in the same number of turns. And maybe check the bolts where the TB mount connects to the lower control arm.

I have OME heavys and they have settled over the years. I have an ARB bumper and 9000lb winch to help them settle.
I gave myself two turn on the adjusters this weekend to discover that was all I had left. It got me an inch back but if I need more I will need to re-index them.

I had a '95 Nissan Hardbody I really enjoyed until a tree fell on it. The stock bars settled a lot with the sam set up (ARB and a Warn)
How do you know "that's all you had"? Did the bolt/anchor arm bottom out or did it just become very difficult to turn?

Asking because I'm afraid if I turn my bolt anymore I will snap it lol.

How do you know "that's all you had"? Did the bolt/anchor arm bottom out or did it just become very difficult to turn?

Asking because I'm afraid if I turn my bolt anymore I will snap it lol.
It was very easy to turn and then just stopped abruptly. I could see at that point it appeared I was done. There is a very good thread on the procedure and ensuring you maintain the 55mm needed differential spacing to keep the tires on the road while driving.
This one if you had not read it:

If anyone was wondering, I adjusted them two more times, and now they are finally settled at their proper position, and have been for over a month now. With the ARB Bumper and a 12,000 winch, it just seems it needed a long time to finally settle properly. Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom