Whose done the new Magnuson Super Charger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I also live in Colorado, and I’ve had the supercharger on my truck since 250,000 miles. I just rebuilt the motor at 334,000 miles, and I still stand by the fact that if I hadn’t supercharged it when I did, I probably wouldn’t still own the truck today.

At elevation, it completely transformed the drivability of the 80, especially on high-mountain highways. Being able to maintain the speed limit without constantly dogging it made truck so much more enjoyable to drive.

Also its just reliable power. After 84,000 miles, once the supercharger was installed, that was basically it. No constant fiddling or messing with it. It just did exactly what it was supposed to do.

With the new motor, might need to take a look at @raisinhell2 PCV catch an.

IMG_1053.webp
 
I also live in Colorado, and I’ve had the supercharger on my truck since 250,000 miles. I just rebuilt the motor at 334,000 miles, and I still stand by the fact that if I hadn’t supercharged it when I did, I probably wouldn’t still own the truck today.

At elevation, it completely transformed the drivability of the 80, especially on high-mountain highways. Being able to maintain the speed limit without constantly dogging it made truck so much more enjoyable to drive.

Also its just reliable power. After 84,000 miles, once the supercharger was installed, that was basically it. No constant fiddling or messing with it. It just did exactly what it was supposed to do.

With the new motor, might need to take a look at @raisinhell2 PCV catch an.

View attachment 4198143
Just so you know . Magnuson recommends the supercharger be rebuilt at 81k .. Please stay away from Jon Bond unless you want to have problems with your rebuild... Out of the 5 he rebuilt for us 4 had to be sent back . 1 five times before it grenaded another didnt even make it to operating temp before it seized and destroyed it's self. Ill go into more detail at a later date in the bad vendors section after our lawsuit is settled. We are tooling up now so we can do them in house when needed. I'm also a Magnuson dealer and can buy just the blower new. They new ones are twice the cost of a rebuild but to me worth it .
 
Just so you know . Magnuson recommends the supercharger be rebuilt at 81k .. Please stay away from Jon Bond unless you want to have problems with your rebuild... Out of the 5 he rebuilt for us 4 had to be sent back . 1 five times before it grenaded another didnt even make it to operating temp before it seized and destroyed it's self. Ill go into more detail at a later date in the bad vendors section after our lawsuit is settled. We are tooling up now so we can do them in house when needed. I'm also a Magnuson dealer and can buy just the blower new. They new ones are twice the cost of a rebuild but to me worth it .

Woah. Wish I new this sooner I just got it back from Jon Bond and they rebuilt it. They also rebuilt it before I slapped it on my cruiser at 250,000. I have driven it a few times since the rebuild and so far and no issues yet, but great info to know.

Thanks,
Andrew
 
Supercharger Is the 35hp Toyota forgot to put in the 80 series. I think it is one of the best Mods you can do. It does have it problems . Which we have resolved . extra heat and positive crank case pressure. It also has it's limits with the parameters of the factory ecu. All systems must be working properly or your AFR will go out of range. They are plug and Play but I suggest checking and monitoring for AFR and exhaust temps. WE offer a blue hub fan just for forced induction engine it's about $100 cheaper the land tanks orange hub(which is a great fan clutch as well) but ours requires trimming your fan shroud to use the stock fan instead of the small one that comes with the kit. We also offer our catch can system with inline High performance pcv valve. This is not a generic can made to fit an 80. It is a custom made can made just for forced induction fzfe engines . You can see our line of products for forced induction fzfes here https://www.precisionlandcruisers.com/category/80-series. These are products we developed over the years of messing with super charged engines . as for Mods for more boost that is a slippery slope you can buy smaller pulleys to increase boost. a 3 inch pulley will get you to 6 -7 lbs but takes your afr out of range. It will run great but even the smallest vacuum leak will lean you out enough to burn your engine up very very fast.. We love talking about supercharged 80 series if you have any questions feel free to give us a call 719 757 0181

View attachment 4197530
I tried a smaller pulley, honestly I went back to the stock TRD pulley. I didn't like how it ran with the smaller pulley. Personal preference.
 
Being in California, the SC is your only option. At stock its pretty anemic at 146HP/191FTLBS at the wheels (212/275ftlbs) with the added 25% hp, it will compensate the sluggish performance but will still struggle up steep grades like the Grapevine with added weight to the rig.
I say pull the trigger, it will improve the driving experience. 😎
I have the stock TRD setup, with 315 tires, and 4.88's, hood vents and methanol injection I can run the grapevine uphill 75 -80 mph all day long even in summer heat. I have found getting the heat out of the engine is the biggest help with the SC.
 
There are a lot of opportunities to enhance the supercharger. Dealing with the heat issue is by far the first thing I’d recommend.

After that it’s basically user preference. But every improvement you make builds on the improvements made earlier.
heat is the enemy, hood vents and methanol have been the solution for me, runs strong and cool even in hot summer heats.
 
Any supercharger kits that work reliably with the OBD-1 trucks? I have a '94 and the only option for forced induction that I've come across so far is the Cruisers and Company turbo.
 
I regeared my axles to 4.88s in 2018, pulled the engine for a rebuild in 2021, and installed a supercharger in 2022. The 4.88s helped significantly but the supercharger gave the engine the power it needed to drive like a normal vehicle. I paid too much for a used supercharger but would not hesitate to do it again. It cruises comfortably everywhere and doesn't need to downshift to maintain speed.

My harness was crispy so I purchased a new harness and modified it during installation of the supercharger. For $550 it was piece of mind and eliminated the possibility of any electrical gremlins.

For two years I didn't have a windshield washer reservoir because dual battery and supercharger. I used the Delta washer res bracket and found a Tacoma washer res bottle which worked perfectly.

Fuel economy has gone down slightly. I measure fuel economy by a trip to the beach, filling up at a specific gas station, driving to the beach, hanging out, then driving back.
With factory gears, I could make it back to the same gas station but the fuel light would come on.
With 4.88s, I could make it back to the same gas station but no light.
With 4.88s and SC, I could make it back but the light was pretty solid and I was dangerously close to running out of fuel.

Heat hasn't been much of a concern. My highest temp I have ever seen is 209*. Engine temps are 182* to 195* in the summer and 179* to 184* in the winter.
1787338502331.webp

1787338526813.webp

1787338447681.webp
1787338339103.webp
 
Any supercharger kits that work reliably with the OBD-1 trucks? I have a '94 and the only option for forced induction that I've come across so far is the Cruisers and Company turbo.
Yeap, it's the 7th injector mod.

Website appears to be down
 
I regeared my axles to 4.88s in 2018, pulled the engine for a rebuild in 2021, and installed a supercharger in 2022. The 4.88s helped significantly but the supercharger gave the engine the power it needed to drive like a normal vehicle. I paid too much for a used supercharger but would not hesitate to do it again. It cruises comfortably everywhere and doesn't need to downshift to maintain speed.

My harness was crispy so I purchased a new harness and modified it during installation of the supercharger. For $550 it was piece of mind and eliminated the possibility of any electrical gremlins.

For two years I didn't have a windshield washer reservoir because dual battery and supercharger. I used the Delta washer res bracket and found a Tacoma washer res bottle which worked perfectly.

Fuel economy has gone down slightly. I measure fuel economy by a trip to the beach, filling up at a specific gas station, driving to the beach, hanging out, then driving back.
With factory gears, I could make it back to the same gas station but the fuel light would come on.
With 4.88s, I could make it back to the same gas station but no light.
With 4.88s and SC, I could make it back but the light was pretty solid and I was dangerously close to running out of fuel.

Heat hasn't been much of a concern. My highest temp I have ever seen is 209*. Engine temps are 182* to 195* in the summer and 179* to 184* in the winter.
View attachment 4198687
View attachment 4198688
View attachment 4198686View attachment 4198684
Got a p/n or model details on that washer bottle?
 
Got a p/n or model details on that washer bottle?
Washer Reservoir
Dual battery and Supercharger make space tight
Purchased from Amazon
Toyota Tacoma Windshield Washer Reservoir 1995 96 97 98 99 2000 | Small tank | 2.5L | TO1288134 | 8531504040

1787361919680.webp

1787361940964.webp
 
Not going to chime in on the turbo vs supercharger debate (cuz we all know where I stand haha) but…. Transmissions… our A750 conversion is definitely something to look at as a performance mod. I do not have exact gain numbers yet based on a stock non FI 80 but we do have a stock truck coming in soon that I plan on getting pre and post wheel numbers on. On my turbo’d 80 it helped my truck go from 210whp/275ftlbs to 292 whp and 416 hp. There were a few other things done at the same time so can’t pinpoint all 82 hp to the trans but I wouldn’t be surprised if 40 hp came from the trans putting down the power better. 1st gear is way deeper, 5th is 10% taller and the overall gear spread is so much nicer. Will definitely be getting those before and after #’s. In fact could probably do that on @efjayatee’s after a750 and before turbo plus post turbo… would be fun
 
Not going to chime in on the turbo vs supercharger debate (cuz we all know where I stand haha) but…. Transmissions… our A750 conversion is definitely something to look at as a performance mod. I do not have exact gain numbers yet based on a stock non FI 80 but we do have a stock truck coming in soon that I plan on getting pre and post wheel numbers on. On my turbo’d 80 it helped my truck go from 210whp/275ftlbs to 292 whp and 416 hp. There were a few other things done at the same time so can’t pinpoint all 82 hp to the trans but I wouldn’t be surprised if 40 hp came from the trans putting down the power better. 1st gear is way deeper, 5th is 10% taller and the overall gear spread is so much nicer. Will definitely be getting those before and after #’s. In fact could probably do that on @efjayatee’s after a750 and before turbo plus post turbo… would be fun
Real power will be measured in 4th gear at 1:1 ratio. Everything else will be a false power gain due to different gearing.
Both stock and A750 have the 1:1 ratio. That's where the transmission losses will be seen where everything is equal.
 
Real power will be measured in 4th gear at 1:1 ratio. Everything else will be a false power gain due to different gearing.
Both stock and A750 have the 1:1 ratio. That's where the transmission losses will be seen where everything is equal.
Probably do a run with and without the torque converter locked up since that is a feature we can control at will
 
I’ve seen you around Raleigh. Curious who did you install? If you don’t wanna share publicly, please DM me.
Supercharger install? Me.
It wasn't that hard and I really took my time to make sure it was perfect. I had lots of experience from the engine pull and rebuild in 2021. My supercharger was used and I was concerned there may have been missing parts. Everything was there and I followed the instructions.

I've done all my own work except the actual engine rebuild and the actual swap of the ring and pinion for the regear.
 
Not going to chime in on the turbo vs supercharger debate (cuz we all know where I stand haha) but…. Transmissions… our A750 conversion is definitely something to look at as a performance mod. I do not have exact gain numbers yet based on a stock non FI 80 but we do have a stock truck coming in soon that I plan on getting pre and post wheel numbers on. On my turbo’d 80 it helped my truck go from 210whp/275ftlbs to 292 whp and 416 hp. There were a few other things done at the same time so can’t pinpoint all 82 hp to the trans but I wouldn’t be surprised if 40 hp came from the trans putting down the power better. 1st gear is way deeper, 5th is 10% taller and the overall gear spread is so much nicer. Will definitely be getting those before and after #’s. In fact could probably do that on @efjayatee’s after a750 and before turbo plus post turbo… would be fun
You got my attention!!!😎
 
Back
Top Bottom