Who's running H4 LED's? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HemiAlex

Long live the 2F
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
yotaoilfilters.com
I'm intrigued. Usually I'm anti Chicom stuff, but I'm tempted to try a pair of $30-80 LED bulbs from amazon.

I've currently got 55w Hella bulbs in Hella H4 conversion housings on my 60 series.

To those that are running them in a much older truck with a set of conversion housings, what have you noticed and what type of heatsink or cooling do they use?

I've seen some with a small "7000 rpm" fan which seems to have no controller. I'd rather have a big dumb heatsink instead of something that can fail and cause the bulb to melt down. Even if I carry a set of normal halogen bulbs on me, I dont want to burn my hand by touching a nuclear bulb trying to swap in a hurry.

The most important point here it's those LED most likely would not deliver the right light pattern / cut in your halogen design housings ..

And leds typically don't have good distance light. Best upgrade is an hid projector retrofit.

I had the opportunity to borrow a set of LEDs to try out in my 80 series. They were too long to fit into my projector, so I put them in my open dish high beam slot instead. If the truck is off, the fan was a VERY noticeable whirr, almost even noticeable when the truck is running (and this is on a diesel). First impressions were "wow, these are nice and bright", but as soon as I took it out on the road, the light falls off very fast after only like 30 feet. LED just doesn't seem to throw light far enough unless the headlight housing is built specifically for it.

Initial impressions are good. No flashes yet and the hella housing controls the pattern pretty well.

Made me feel a lot more confident in the vehicle.

IMG_2442.JPG

IMG_2462.JPG

Take a shot 25' from a wall. Can see the actual pattern better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom