Who has the best world market OEM FJ60 carb that answers their phone? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.pirateslair.com
Trollhole apparently doesnt answer their phone or Facebook posts. Where can I get a quality rebuilt world market FJ60 OEM carb? I'd also like some quality customer service for associated questions.
Thanks

most land cruiser operations are small shops.
i noticed a lot made the venture to the Rubicon over the last couple weeks. If my Cruiser had been ready , I would have preferred that to the Az summer heat. I know there's three of us here. I don't take much time off but if I do there's no one to answer the phone....it's my business cell

Marshal, @Trollhole is a busy guy and I know that he was on a camping trip recently. Give him another try.

I had Mark from Mark's Offroad rebuilt my carb a few years ago and still running strong, he is a one man shop so just leave him a message on his machine and he always get back to you ASAP. @65swb45 here on mud,you just have to be patient trying to reach any of these guys.

I had Mark from Mark's Offroad rebuilt my carb a few years ago and still running strong, he is a one man shop so just leave him a message on his machine and he always get back to you ASAP. @65swb45 here on mud,you just have to be patient trying to reach any of these guys.

John

Thanks for the props but, based on the attitude in the OP's question, I'm really not interested.

Last edited:
I too have issues getting in touch with Trollhole.

Patience is one thing......I've waited over a year with no phone call back, email response, or Mud response. And I have bought stuff from him in the past.

@65swb45
Must be nice to be that picky with who you take money from. I understand the OPs plight. A simple phone call back is worth its weight in gold. Everyone knows the Land Cruiser world is full of small operations, but so are many other niche market business owners.

It is my belief that if you can't/won't/get in over your head, then make it known so people take their business elsewhere.

I've only experienced nothing but the best from Marshall. Be patient. This reminds me of the "how long will he have my parts, what is taking so long" threads regarding @FJ40Jim :)

French it, I have a used carb, I'll rebuild it and sell it to u. I have done a couple in the past. Never had issues. U can always just rebuild it yourself too. Buy a used one and rebuild it and then swap. That's what I did in the past.

[off the deep end, full-rant mode]

When I got the alert that @vipergrhd had mentioned me in a post, and saw the title of the thread, the easily-amused, and hopeless optimist part of me honestly clicked on the link with gears whirling at the prospect of reading a humorous post regarding some new multi-tasking widget someone had invented for their rig (a carb that answers phones!). Instead what I found was another poke at one of my friends. Naturally disappointment quickly turned to frustration. Hence my initial if somewhat hasty comment.

For my part, I long ago gave up participating in the scorched-earth battle to be one of the lowest priced vendors basically around the same time Kurt took over Cruiser Outfitters. I recognized back then that there's always gonna be someone who's younger, or 'hungrier'. It is an aspect of humanity John Steinbeck captured for the world to see in the Grapes of Wrath. Kurt is still hungry for business, but not the same way he was 10 or 15 years ago. He's more circumspect. Marshall is still building his business too. And there is NOTHING negative intended in my use of the word 'hungry.' They are both honorable men, in honorable pursuit of an honest living in a very dynamic, rapidly changing economy. That's what I mean by hungry. I am an old man that just isn't that hungry any more, so I'm not afraid to call it as I see it.

And yes it is nice to be picky. Very nice.

Perhaps there is a reason that Marshall has not returned inquiries from you. PURE speculation here, but maybe he sensed an attitude too. Successful businessmen often develop these sensibilities, but rarely talk about them, especially in an open forum. But I can tell you that quite a few Landcruiser vendors have been privately discussing the change in consumer expectations fed first by places like Walmart, then fertilized by Amazon. But they are afraid of standing up to the borderline bullies [not saying that's you] that act like they're God because they have a dollar to spend. I am not afraid.

Or perhaps it could just be your karma.

And I am sooo tired of seeing good men bashed. Marshall is a good man, with emphasis on the 'man.' And he doesn't owe anyone an explanation. A wise man once said you should never have to explain yourself: your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you anyways. For cripes sake, the man had a heart attack last year. As my friend Steve Cramer told me during one of my nervous breakdowns ten years ago, just take it one day at a time.

Ultimately it's all about choices and consequences. So Marshall didn't get back to you. Consequence: you go elsewhere. But do you have to take a slapshot at him while you're at it? That's the thing that irks me. I realize this is a hopelessly lopsided consumer-oriented forum, and no one on the planet is above reproach, but I'm just so tired of the reality that anyone with a keyboard can use the anonymity of the internet to just start jabbing at vendors in our little community. It just hits too close to home for me to sit on the sidelines watching.. Marshall has helped literally thousands of people on this forum, and will help thousands more. His sales cut DIRECTLY into mine...and I DONT CARE. He's still good peeps, and he deserves more respect than shown here.

Bottom line: you could have asked the same question sans the jab at Marshall. “...quality customer service...” There's some loaded language. There are three of us on this forum that sell and service carburetors, and ANY searching would have already informed you there are dozens of threads demonstrating that ALL three of us back up what we provide with quality follow ups. That's why cruiser peeps shop here instead of Ebay in the first place.

I do see @onemanarmy 's point about setting the terms of engagement. I took the time to post to the front page of my website a few years ago that my days of real-time communication are basically gone. It was a conscious choice to post that, and I have dealt with the consequences of admitting to being inconvenient in a world where convenience is sometimes the ultimate trump card. Making a living is not synonymous with living a life. My health issues serve as a daily reminder of that.

Once again, MUD is a fairly accurate microcosm of the big bad world, where nobody owes you anything, but some men are still willing to stand up for their friends.

[rant off]

Last but not least, to actually answer your original question [like I said, I didn't come here looking for a fight] you can try reaching out to Racer65. He's the new kid on the block.

Last edited:
I actually reached out to you, @65swb45 about a year ago on the phone too, for an unrelated matter (to the Trollhole matter). Left a simple voicemail to outline my problem, and my phone number for a possible call back.

I saw that you had updated your website to state that communication is limited with you. So, being that I was in a hurry due to a broken down truck, I reached out to others. No bad feelings and no harm. At least I had some clue of why I never heard back However, in less time it took you to paint that biased pic of me, you could have returned my phone call, seen that all I wanted was to order something from you, and move on. I knew what I needed and other people along with MUD had answered my simple questions.

Like I said, must be nice for a businessman to pick and choose. I'm happy for you. However, most don't subject themselves to the highs and lows of business ownership cause they are bored. Most businesses are in business to make money, and due to that fact, MOST people, when they see a business selling a product that they want/need, they expect it to be available or at least get some sort of communication detailing when it will be available, price, etc. This is true for 95% of our consumer driven society, and not just for the world of land Cruisers. This is what consumers expect.....not just the lowest price. Service still goes a long way, and is the sole reason why many mom and pop places are still around.

....."Ultimately it's all about choices and consequences. So Marshall didn't get back to you. Consequence: you go elsewhere. But do you have to take a slapshot at him while you're at it? That's the thing that irks me. I realize this is a hopelessly lopsided consumer-oriented forum, and no one on the planet is above reproach, but I'm just so tired of the reality that anyone with a keyboard can use the anonymity of the internet to just start jabbing at vendors in our little community. It just hits too close to home for me to sit on the sidelines watching.. Marshall has helped literally thousands of people on this forum, and will help thousands more. His sales cut DIRECTLY into mine...and I DONT CARE. He's still good peeps, and he deserves more respect than shown here......."

^Easy now. I've ordered from Marshall. I have taken the time to look up all those threads you mention about carbs, and chose to order from him. I got my product. It works fine. I was helped. Now, I know he is active on this forum and is still selling carbs. I see him (and you) post daily, and advertise his shop. Now that I have one of his products, I just need to order some parts. I know what I need, don't have dumb, ignorant questions, and have done my research. All I needed was a one minute phone call or 10 second email back. I have called ONLY to leave a call back number, and have emailed ONLY to leave my number. I don't care if he is 'good peeps'. I doubt if the OP of this thread cares either. He is looking for a reliable service, and I gave my opinion. I called TWICE over the course of 2 months, and emailed twice. NEVER got a response. I'm not jabbing, never personally attacked anyone. Just stating facts OF MY CASE. Everyone is busy, not just MUD vendors.

Mark is ethical, responsible, smart and everything he does he does meticulously well. If you want your carb rebuilt correctly just send it to him and wait for a phone call. I haven't talked with him for a while but his turn around used to be pretty fast, like weeks, not months. In Mark's defence he donates a large amount of his time working on land use issues, which directly benefits the entire off road community.

Last edited:
This has been said in other threads with similar griping, but I've seen first hand how a one-man shop operates, not just MOR, and unless you have had to juggle phone calls/emails/PMs while getting the work or parts out, you will not have an appreciation for how much time (i.e. money) the 'customer service' part of a business takes.

If a guy spends productive hours communicating, then someone else will inevitably blast an angry post about it taking two months to get a carb returned! Just ask FJ40Jim about those! It's like a small-business can't win in this Nordstrom's service with Walmart prices world!

As usual, Mr. Algazy's thoughts are spot-on and no B.S. I wish he were the one deciding Hillary's Criminal intent!

:popcorn:

The title of this thread needs some clarification, so let's start there. It reads "Best World Market OEM FJ60 Carb". Well, Toyota has "General Market". The carb that is commonly available in the aftermarket is part # 21100-61012. This is a General Market carb for desmogged applications. It fits the FJ60 2F, and it's the only part number you can get new; however, if your car is registered in CA you can forget about it. Your 60 won't pass smog with this carb.

In general there are 3 options:
1) Rebuilt U.S. spec OEM carb (Not 21100-61012)
2) New aftermarket 21100-61012 carb
3) New OEM (as in Toyota / Aisan) 21100-61012 carb

The reason for the above clarifications is to make sure you know who you should be chasing.
  • For option 1 the usual suspects are Mark A and Jim C.
  • For option 2 you go after Trollhole or me.
  • For Option 3 you go after me or Beno.
In the first post, I see someone in California looking for a desmogged carb, and wants OEM from Trollhole. That's why I think it's useful to level set.

If you don't have an issue with smog compliance, I have 2 offerings. Both are part # 21100-61012. One is genuine Toyota OEM; the other is Japanese aftermarket. Details are in my store page (Search for "FJ60 2F Carburetor").

As for customer service, I think every business is different. Real time phone support is generally unrealistic even for very large places (Try calling USPS or Bank of America and see how long you wait). The model that works for me is email or PM and you can expect a response within 24 hours.

Last edited:
Trollhole apparently doesnt answer their phone or Facebook posts. Where can I get a quality rebuilt world market FJ60 OEM carb? I'd also like some quality customer service for associated questions.
Thanks

With age comes patience and wisdom!

If you want something yesterday then try the big box stores, where you sacrifice quality, price and personal attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom