Who has a 4 inch lift? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to know who has a 4 inch lift and what you are using. How does it ride? Like and dislikes if any?

. What Springs?
. Are you using spacer with springs to achieve 4 inches?
. Shocks?
. Caster plates or Bushings?
. LCA/UCA?

Absolutely love my 4" lift and those that have been in my truck can attest, it's solid as hell.

I'm using all Landtank suspension. I've been using his stuff for years before Wits' End.

I'm using Slee's medium springs which I'm also very happy with. I am using a 30mm spacer up front to get rid of stink bug.

I have the Landtank extended lower LCA with OEM bushings and the Landtank UCA but In stock length. It was a good excuse to not have to press in new bushings.

Shocks I went with OME because they were available quickly. I've hated them since day one.

For Caster correction just do yourself a favor and go with LT's Caster plates. It's a little bit of work but again, designed for OEM bushings.

Absolutely love my 4" lift and those that have been in my truck can attest, it's solid as hell.

I'm using all Landtank suspension. I've been using his stuff for years before Wits' End.

I'm using Slee's medium springs which I'm also very happy with. I am using a 30mm spacer up front to get rid of stink bug.

I have the Landtank extended lower LCA with OEM bushings and the Landtank UCA but In stock length. It was a good excuse to not have to press in new bushings.

Shocks I went with OME because they were available quickly. I've hated them since day one.

For Caster correction just do yourself a favor and go with LT's Caster plates. It's a little bit of work but again, designed for OEM bushings.

DO you know the difference between the LT, Slee and Iron Man Caster plates? Or are they all the same?

i have 4 inch dobinson springs with OME L shocks. i love the setup but will be changing shocks to longer ones once these wear out. with a 1 inch body lift i am clearing 37s just fine and have tons more flex than my older setup of OME springs plus spacers.

I love my ride now; Here''s the story

Purchased an Ironman four inch lift kit and eventually bought everything I needed to correct the problems I was experiencing from Slee. Spent way to much money when I could have just bought from Slee. The Ironman lift is the gift that keeps on giving. Shocks gone at 20k miles and just replaced with OME

From another post where I was whining:

Hours of aggravation, research and waiting and re-installing was what my experience was in lifting my truck four inches. If I was to do it again 2.5 would be what I would do.

I bought the 4 inch ironman competion kit. It is basic. I love the ride and flex though and it performs well loaded or unloaded.

I then bought Manafre stainless brake lines as the Ironman kit lines were crappy and would not secure to the frame brackets.

My truck at this time was unarmoured and I experienced drive line vibe both front and rear. Now the costs started.

Custom double shaft made from a Tacoma. By the time I was done using two shops to get it built correctly, I was over the cost of both Slee and Landtank. Still vibrated every where

My truck is now fully armoured and as the build went my vibes settled down but were not solved until I did the following

I run a part time kit on the front to reduce vibes, Also added the ABS relocation kit so I could get my ABS back

Slee front lower control arms cause I was not going to cut my castor brackets on the axle any further (Thanks Ironman)

Slee rear upper control arms.

I am happy to report I am vibe free and the truck is quiet inside and performs greatly. Here's a breakdown in cost without shipping, best of my recollection- not including my time

Ironman kit: $2200

Custom shaft $940 includes wrecker sourced unit , new uni's, custom build and then rebuild by more experienced shop

Brake lines 140

Slee Front control arms with bush 1040

Slee rear upper control arms $460

Part time kit 700

ABS kit 400

New shocks and stablilzer after the IM shocks crapped out early 500

Total: $6380

Slee four inch kit complete: $2867 which includes all the above with exception of part time kit, front control arms and ABS relocation

I'm running 4" OME 051/052 shocks. They are different than the standard competition springs. A little lights front spring rate and heavier rear spring rate. I am not using any spacers.

Shocks are the long Fox shocks. I'm running Slee caster correction brackets, extended brakes lines, adjustable panhards front and rear. Home made extended rear lower control arms, swaybar drop brackets front/rear, extended bump stops, and DC front drive shaft. I love the stance and the way it drives on and off road.

4" lift and 37's is where the 80 starts to actually look like a serious wheeler.

Truck came from Japan with the 4" already done on it. No idea what springs, but the shocks were Rancho in the rear, Procomp in the front. Massively oversized 4/6" drop brackets took care of the caster correction. Adjustable panhards, sway bar drop brackets and adjustable rear control arms rounded it out.

One of the rear Ranchos was leaking so i had to replace it with something to pass the out of province inspection, so normal stroke OMEs were put on. No droop to speak of, but they work.

I've replaced the front shocks with the long Icon 2.0 because the Procomps were worn out and probably crap to begin with anyway. Ride is much nicer.

I'm planning on leaving springs the way they are, because they seem to work and i don't know the difference. I'll replace rear shocks with Icons to match the front because I'm happy with them so far and the name carries bling value. I want to ditch the drop brackets sooner than later and move to plates because the drop brackets kill the clearance and look goofy.

As for how it drives? It drives like a 6000lb chunk of steel sitting 2' minimum off the ground. Compared to stock? No idea, never owned an 80 before.

How do I feel when driving it? Like an absolute badass in a big sexy machine.

Ive got a terrible ride at the moment in my 80. Running 4" second hand lovell springs, 6" tough dog 9 stage adjustable shocks
the rear bounces around like no tomorrow. Thinking i might swap the rear springs out for something dobinson, any thoughts on this?

I have the Slee 4" kit. Cant complain at all. I dont have any experience with other lifts. Truck is rock solid.
IMG_0200.jpg

Last edited:
DO you know the difference between the LT, Slee and Iron Man Caster plates? Or are they all the same?

I have almost the exact same lift as @NLXTACY , save I'm on heavies FR & prog Heavies RR. Same s*** shocks, and all the LT goods too. Went the long way & built my LCA's, but paid him for his math.

As for castor plates, I've had both & here's what I will say:

Rolled into my shop lift on Slee ones, rolled off on LT ones. I do not regret doing this. (Subjective statement)

Slee, while first to market with a quality way of doing this: they adjust the caster via pivoting on the rear axle bushing centerline in the control arm.
Landtank's pivot the caster via rotation of the axle on its' centerline.
So you come down to pivot vs. rotate.
(Objective statement)

I think the suspension (minus our janky-a$$ shocks, yeah Joey;) ?) - being a blend of Slee & Rick's parts he & I run is as close to as factory neutral of handling you can make a 4" lifted 80.

If either of us would just get motivated & step it up on shocks, we would both benefit greatly.

I have Slee medium springs OME shocks Ironman adjustable Panhard rods and Slee caster plates running 35's only rub in the rear every once in a great while. Also installed home made 2 inch sway bar and bump stop brackets. I drove it stock for a while but every thing was original and sloppy so not sure how it drives compared to stock and not sloppy. But I like it and so dose the wife so cant be all that bad :steer:

I am on 4" Slee medium springs all 4 corners, Slee caster plates, all new OEM bushings, except for both adj. panhard bars. Drop brackets for the sway bars, sleeved and longer rear LCA's, adj. upper CA's. I went with Slee 2.5" resi shocks and love the combination, ride is somewhat firm but extremely planted.

Slee complete 4" lift. This is an extremely well thought out solution and it is VERY proven. It has been on the market for years and many MUD members have had this lift in place for a long time. I have this solution on my 80: Part: SOF1058 - $2851.00 w/ the heavy progressive springs.

Here is the URL: Slee - Toyota 80 Series Toyota Land Cruiser Suspension

Before I swapped to the Slee 4" lift, I had the IPOR 3.5" lift. It was a solid lift and was a great starter kit but the Slee lift is in another category. It allows for much better adjustment of your suspension to bring you back to a stock alignment on the taller setup. It also supports a heavier setup more effectively.

I have a lot of weight on my rig. I think the 1995 80-series weighed somewhere close to 4700 lbs in stock setup. My rig weighs about 6800 lbs now and I plan to add a roof rack and roof-top tent. You can see my setup in my signature block. The Slee heavy setup carries this weight very well! I have never had any rubbing at all running 35s.

Think through your weight requirements and how your plan to use your rig going forward carefully before you decide on a lift.

I have a front bumper now and plan on a rear really soon. I really want a soft ride if i can get that with a 4 inch lift.

I have three inch TJM Progressive Springs with 30mm spacers and fox shocks. I hated the ride. it rode harsh and rough. But I loved the height. I remove the spacers. It rides a little softer but not much.
To me a 4 inch lift is the sweet spot. Not to high..not to low.

I currently have the Slee 4" springs, caster correction, swaybar drops, etc and Fox 2.0 RR. You'll probably need a double cardan front drive shaft to avoid any vibration.

In the rear, these are my 3rd 4" springs. I started with OME 863J (J springs). They were the most "comfortable" but had fairly low spring rate. Once loaded with all my crap for camping "in the bush" for a week or two, the truck sagged almost to the bumpstops. I swapped over to the OME 864's which in turn helped immensely with a load. After 1.5 years, I had thought that my PS spring was sagging but in reality it was just from my weight distribution. I went and got Slee 4" rear medium springs (Cristo said they were comparable to the 864's) and think they are definitely the best riding. They have a lot of coil wraps and ride very smooth loaded and unloaded.

In reality, you need to chose the spring that matches your load requirement (same with shock valving). A lot of guys (like myself) are running full plate rear bumpers with a 35+ tire off the back with jerry cans. That moment induced on the rear suspension is large and high spring rates are required. If you plan on going that route, I'd look into the Slee medium or heavy springs.

Think through your weight requirements and how your plan to use your rig going forward carefully before you decide on a lift.

Absolutely!!

Any experiences with the MAF 4' drop brackets. I know clearance with these have been an issue with some but im not real concerned, I am just looking for a better ride.

4" Slee kit with the radius arms from the 6" kit as well. No spacers and only adjustable uppers. For a 5900 lb turd with 37" tires it rides damn good. I've taken plenty of long trips across the country with me and the family and it's very comfortable. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom