Builds White Lightning's Diesel Conversion - A 1994 T100 OM606 swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cool swap, I think the engine at that power level will feel REALLY strong in a T100 manual trans truck.

Got a decent amount done before thanksgiving, although it looks moreso that I went in the opposite direction to finishing this thing. Pulled most items out (as originally planned) to finish the adapter plate as well as to do some rust prevention/removal work.

The body on the truck is in decent shape, but the beginnings to some rust issues down the road were starting to show up at some of the seems and welded areas. I took the opportunity of a 58deg day to bring it outside and attack it with the wire wheel, rust bullet acid/metal prep and the pressure washer. Ive done this work inside before and it's always a pain trying to wash the frame off inside with a spray bottle. The only challenge here is that my driveway is sloped so I had to use my civic to tow the truck outside and up the hill a little...talk about roll reversal.

IMG_2576.JPG

This is after two coats of the rust bullet paint. There was a fair amount more touch up areas under the cab and in the wheel wells. I went back and used a black or white top coat to match either the body or frame after this picture was taken.

IMG_2579.JPG

IMG_2580.JPG

IMG_2593.JPG

Last edited:
Nice work. I got a odd request, I can't find the bed dimensions for a T-100, could you measure the bed size on the top of the bed? Thanks.

with a 1/4" thick plastic liner i got the following measurements;

internal dimensions are 61" x 96" (16.75" depth). external (as if you wanted a piece of plywood to fit on the top surface including the tailgate) measured at the top 68.25" x 100.25"

sorry for the late response, hopefully this helps

Added some sound deadening material, mainly in the areas that Toyota neglected to (wheel wheels, trans tunnel). I may look at going back and doing the roof and doors if I still get a lot of wind noise. the old steering shaft seal had a 1/4" gap around it so i think that was the primary cause of all the engine noise I heard before...hopefully fixing that and adding this will help quiet the truck down on the highway.

IMG_2602.JPG

IMG_2603.JPG

Finally ran the dipstick issue to ground (can't buy an om648 dipstick tube new/nor could i find one in a junkyard). It's a combination of the original dipstick tube, another dipstick tube, and a custom fitting i turned on the lathe to hold an o-ring (plus a tab to bolt it to the original .

IMG_2581.JPG

the original dipstick was cut and shortened such that the high marker aligns with the oil level with 8 qts in place.

IMG_2590.JPG

installed

IMG_2595.JPG

just barely clears the starter

Last edited:
Couldn't find any recommendations on egt probe placement so took the turbo off and felt around until I found a spot in the manifold that was thick enough and wouldn't interfere with anything. this spot seemed perfect, just need to make sure you drill at the right angle so that the probe doesn't run into the turbo.

IMG_2594.JPG

IMG_2605.JPG

IMG_2596.JPG

Last edited:
Had to clearance one of the front differential mounts for the oil pan (there is a picture in one of the earlier post where I cut up the oil pan). The original mount was cupped he entire way around. I had to cut the "cupping" of the end, so I added in an 1/8" plate in the area to help stiffen it up some. It looks like crap, but I"ll never see it again once the engine is back in place. (This picture was taken in between coats, the top coat was black)
diff bracket mod.JPG

Last edited:
Made a little heat shield for the passenger side engine mount

IMG_2617.JPG

welded 3 bosses onto the Toyota bellhousing to make up for 3 of the toyota bellhousing bolts that overlapped with the bolts used for the adapter plate to Mercedes block. Also boxed in the cut in the bellhousing I had to make to clear the mercedes starter

IMG_2619.JPG

IMG_2618.JPG

Really quality work here. How much of the wiring has to get integrated into the truck harness? I would think tachometer, oil pressure, alternator, ignition/starter, ???

Also, did you have to swap to the W211 OM648 oil pump as well as the pan?

Really quality work here. How much of the wiring has to get integrated into the truck harness? I would think tachometer, oil pressure, alternator, ignition/starter, ???

Also, did you have to swap to the W211 OM648 oil pump as well as the pan?

thanks. Yea i used a om648 oil pump as well. the (new) pan and pump set me back roughly 500$ which was a little annoying since I got the engine for a net of about $1000 once I sold off the W210 transmission and ecu.

I haven't dove into the wiring quite yet, hopefully in the next 2 weeks though. You've pretty much called it though with the items. I'll look to take the tach output out of the DSL1 ecu, which uses the OE tach signal from the om606 sensor (my truck never came with a tach, i've just got an aftermarket one on the column). I tapped the toyota oil pressure switch as well as the autometer oil pressure sending to the oil filter outlet port. The alternator on the Toyota is a 3wire? plug + the load wire so I'll have to cut that apart a little to work with the Mercedes 1 wire alternator.

I'm also planning to run the new lift pump through the oil pressure switch (I may need to get a 3 prong style switch) to shut the pump off as a safety.

In a not thinking moment I sold the trucks efi ecu with the engine. I'm starting to think it might have been useful to have for a few of these things.

For reference here is the 648 oil pump installed.
IMG_1354.JPG

A list of useful part numbers for anyone else that needs to do this

om648 oil pan: 6480140302
om648 oil pump: 6481800301
Oil pump to block o ring: 6069971645 replaced with updated pn 019-997-80-48

For reference here is the 648 oil pump installed.View attachment 1599356

A list of useful part numbers for anyone else that needs to do this

om648 oil pan: 6480140302
om648 oil pump: 6481800301
Oil pump to block o ring: 6069971645 replaced with updated pn 019-997-80-48

Thanks a ton for the part numbers. I couldn't find the o-ring. Where'd you find them both for $500? Looks like they're ~$500 each!

I wonder if you could swap the gauge cluster for one with a tach. When I did my 1KZ swap, I was able to get a Dakota Digital to convert the diesel tach signal to something that the stock tacoma tach would read. Something to think about if you ever want to ditch the extra tach.

I got them from GenuineMercedesparts.com...and yea you are right, I paid 468$ for the pump and 383$ for the pan. I guess I tried to suppress that horrible memory. If I did it again I'd still buy a new oil pump but I would try to make the pan using sheet aluminum and the flange from the front sump om606 pan.

As for the gauge cluster, I haven't fully made up my mind, but that is definitely a route I may go. I think the DSL1 tach output is fairly programmable so I might be able to skip the dakota digital step all together.

nice 1KZ swap btw, hows it been running? good upgrade from the 5vz?

I got them from GenuineMercedesparts.com...and yea you are right, I paid 468$ for the pump and 383$ for the pan. I guess I tried to suppress that horrible memory. If I did it again I'd still buy a new oil pump but I would try to make the pan using sheet aluminum and the flange from the front sump om606 pan.

As for the gauge cluster, I haven't fully made up my mind, but that is definitely a route I may go. I think the DSL1 tach output is fairly programmable so I might be able to skip the dakota digital step all together.

nice 1KZ swap btw, hows it been running? good upgrade from the 5vz?

Gotcha, yeah I'm gonna be searching on Ebay the next few months. They seem to pop up occasionally. I looked into the DSL1 and it looks awesome. I'll definitely be picking up one of those for my swap (which will be into an FZJ80). I'm especially excited that it has a CAN output that I can run to a Holset VGT.

Thanks, and I actually sold it recently, but it was (and still is) running fantastic. I do miss that truck. About the same power as the 5VZ, but WAY more torque. Plus about 5-6MPG better. Mostly I miss the sound of that thing.

Certainly nice to have a tach, but my old Mercedes did not have a tach. Most of us can feel, or listen to an engine and a tach isn't really needed. It's when you are picking gears, or trying to drive in a torque curve, downshifting etc you may want one. But when I drive my BJ60 or when I had my mercedes you just drive and listen to it buzz before shifting et.
EGT is a more important level for people pushing the injection fuelling for power.

haha yeah, the only reason this thing has a tach is because I was 17 when I started driving it 12 years ago and probably had a little bit too much fast and the furious in the back of my mind. I'm just glad thats the only thing I

Got some time last weekend to work on the truck. Added some heat/sound reduction material on the firewall and got the engine and transmission in. Had to hammer back the firewall a tad by the upper bolt boss I added to the bellhousing (kind of a last minute thing I noticed when installing the transmission).

IMG_2620.JPG

IMG_2654.JPG

IMG_2625.JPG

IMG_2659.JPG

IMG_2657.JPG

Last edited:
Was able to wire up the critical items for the truck side of things as well as the ecu/injection pump. Happy to report it's running! (admittedly a bit rough, however i didn't have the intake hooked up, and the calibration for the MAP sensor was just a guess)

Link to youtube of it running

https://youtu.be/TS9VupLgoQc
hoping i'll be able to loom up the harnesses and plumb up the intake as well as a makeshift exhaust this weekend so I can take it on a test spin.

Still need a location for the egt, boost, and oil pressure gauges, but those may need to wait.

Cleaned up a lot of the wiring under the hood and finally added in the boost control and fan relay to the ecu control. Actually got to drive it around which was a blast. it's running a bit rough, drive ability is touchy and the current boost control likes to fluctuate for no apparent reason (may end up trying to rig up some sort of mbc). it's also smoking way too much at idle/part throttle driving for my liking. Nonetheless, it's definitely powerful. It was wet out, and the truck was in 2wd, but it lit the tires up in 3rd gear no problem. Here is a video of it, floored in 2nd gear and a little in 3rd. I could have stayed in it longer in 2nd but the egt jumps up so fast I've been shifting a little early on purpose.

It's nice to be able to use this side of the garage again!

IMG_2680.JPG

Hey Bryan, I'm Dave.
This is my first post here, I was sent the link to your build by Motohead1, as a kick in the pants to get going on my build, and I gotta say, your T100 is incredible, that sound is just nut ballin' wicked cool. Just outstanding.
Okay, now I'll go and fill in all the places I should've before, but this was just too good to not say anything about..!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom