Which Year 200 to Buy (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rears havent changed
Fronts changed around the headlights but not in width. You would be hard pressed to see any difference at all with both cars side by side and zero functionality differences

Front and rear fender/quarters are indeed wider on 13-15 and it is noticeable when side by side. It’s the main reason Snorkel’s on 13-15 have larger gaps and don’t quite fit right.

“The design continues to convey an "Advanced and Rugged" theme with enlarged front and rear fenders. “

Unless the USA got a totally different vehicle to the rest of the world, the body hasnt changed other than very minor lights/trims. Ive done body work on 1000's of 200's. Definately no sheet metal changes that made them wider. I do know the shape changed in the 2015 update (hence the snorkles are all different) but not wider. The 2012-2015 models changed around the headlights slightly, nothing on the rears. Ive fitted flares to cars vrom various years, they all used the same part numbers and fitted perfectly

Do you have any photo's of these changed fenders?

I would get a 2013-2015.

Reasons:
Benefits from all the refresh upgrades of Multimedia system, HID's, LED tail lights, Cooled seats, and a host of other things.
Price point is awesome; close to the 2008-2012, but keeps most of the upgrades, and a long way off of the 2016-19
Looks. For me, I prefer the similarities to the 100 rather than the 16+ trying to ape the 80 series.

It's a perfect intersection of price and features IMHO. Look in DFW for some great examples. I picked up my 2014 with 54k miles. One owner, serviced at 1 Toyota dealer with the full service history on MyToyota app. Not a single dent, scratch, instance of damage and absolutely NO RUST anywhere. I paid $44,000 last black Friday, and currently at 62,xxx miles and it still drives like new.

Front and rear fender/quarters are indeed wider on 13-15 and it is noticeable when side by side. It’s the main reason Snorkel’s on 13-15 have larger gaps and don’t quite fit right.

Front fender has the same part number from 08-15 and rear quarter has the same part number from 08-19/current (5380260b60 and 60161-60871). So no difference in width especially from 08-15. Incidentally, I discovered the word “Toyota” stamped into the front fenders and rear quarter panel of my buddy’s 2010 LX 570 when we had it torn apart, so I would think there isn’t even a difference between the Lexus and Toyota body parts from same generation (with the exception of the 16+ LX front fenders which I do think are a little different to accodate their headlights).

I would get a 2013-2015.

Reasons:
Benefits from all the refresh upgrades of Multimedia system, HID's, LED tail lights, Cooled seats, and a host of other things.
Price point is awesome; close to the 2008-2012, but keeps most of the upgrades, and a long way off of the 2016-19
Looks. For me, I prefer the similarities to the 100 rather than the 16+ trying to ape the 80 series.

It's a perfect intersection of price and features IMHO. Look in DFW for some great examples. I picked up my 2014 with 54k miles. One owner, serviced at 1 Toyota dealer with the full service history on MyToyota app. Not a single dent, scratch, instance of damage and absolutely NO RUST anywhere. I paid $44,000 last black Friday, and currently at 62,xxx miles and it still drives like new.

I got a 2013 and am loving it. You got a heck of a deal!

Front fender has the same part number from 08-15 and rear quarter has the same part number from 08-19/current (5380260b60 and 60161-60871). So no difference in width especially from 08-15. Incidentally, I discovered the word “Toyota” stamped into the front fenders and rear quarter panel of my buddy’s 2010 LX 570 when we had it torn apart, so I would think there isn’t even a difference between the Lexus and Toyota body parts from same generation (with the exception of the 16+ LX front fenders which I do think are a little different to accodate their headlights).

Yep. I think the impression of different wheel well openings is an illusion created by the size & placement of headlights and their lens housings.

One weird thing...

I tried to fit pre 2012 Sahara lights to a 2015 GXL and the area around the headlight was different. They didnt fit. The front of the light wasnt an issue, just the front fender area was different. If the part numbers are the same, surely the lights would fit but they dont. Late 2012 was the update (last quarter)

Most of what I read here and elsewhere about "which" was pretty similar to this thread, which answers it in about 15 replies.

I personally chose to use budget as a constraint, as in: best 2013 or better I could get within that budget. Once I had that figured out, one did come along as they will, and I pounced.

Haven't seen in the inside of a '16 to see how that is so much different in functionality. Way out of my price range, used, which made it moot so why bother even looking at them and torment myself.

My '13 is pretty soft, it's a luxo-barge for sure that actually handles okay and has more than tolerable squirt. Had to blow buy a jackass this AM on an onramp who decided to go 50 in a zone where everyone is accelerating fast to 70mph, and it made short work of the situation.

What I "didn't" want:

1. Electronics and features that were too Fred Flintsone. Pre '13, they're a bit shaky there.

2. More than 100K miles, out of a bit of superstition I suppose. Scratch most pre-'08.

3. On careful consideration, the 5.7L is the way to go for "most" due to the extra squirt compared to the prior 4.7L. Scratch any pre-'08s.

Couple sources said, "only" buy the first year of latest upgrades, because things don't change much between. Okay, if true that narrows it down to an '08, '13, or '16. End of story.

So, I bought a '13, all-considered.

Can you elaborate a bit on this please?

He is most likely referring to AHC (auto height control) on the LX, which can be used to raise the back end of its suspension under load of a trailer tongue.

I prefer the 13-15 styling. But prefer the 16+ tech. The front styling of 13-15 reminds me of old Mercedes S or Lexus LS. Subtle. Not really a fan of the 16+ headlights. The quad projector lights look funny to me. Eye of the beholder kind of thing...

He is most likely referring to AHC (auto height control) on the LX, which can be used to raise the back end of its suspension under load of a trailer tongue.

Nailed it, earlier LX have the AHC and same tow rating as the LC.

I went 2013. Personally I think the 16+ models look far better than any 200 before, but couldn’t afford them.

But.. in 2013 the multi-color MFD in the cluster and updated nav/stereo made that model feel FAR more modern than 08-11 from the drivers seat. And considering how much time I spend in mine, that was important.
Plus, HID headlamps & vented seats. Big selling points for me.
I don’t use radar cruise, so not a big deal. The 4lo turn assist is a great gadget but I can’t see myself actually using it other than to show it off.

Side note on radar cruise.. you can only adjust speed after it is initially set in 5mph increments. If it weren’t for this “feature” I’d use radar cruise a lot more. Regular cruise can be adjusted 1mph at a time.

Is radar cruise on all 16+ rigs?

Can it be turned off (it can't be in a lot of modern cars)?

Is radar cruise on all 16+ rigs?

Can it be turned off (it can't be in a lot of modern cars)?

I’d assume toyota didn’t remove it in 16+ when it was standard on 2013. I do seem to remember the 16+ LX version allows full-stop (so keeping distance in stop & go traffic for instance). Maybe not Lc for that? Unsure of those details though.

On my 13 radar is enabled by default when turning on cruise, but pushing the cruise stalk forward for a few seconds reverts back to standard cruise. This has to be redone every time the cruise is turned on or ignition cycled. Not a big deal though.

I’d assume toyota didn’t remove it in 16+ when it was standard on 2013. I do seem to remember the 16+ LX version allows full-stop (so keeping distance in stop & go traffic for instance). Maybe not Lc for that? Unsure of those details though.

On my 13 radar is enabled by default when turning on cruise, but pushing the cruise stalk forward for a few seconds reverts back to standard cruise. This has to be redone every time the cruise is turned on or ignition cycled. Not a big deal though.

My '16 does the same like your '13. I don't think it has the auto pilot type where it will drive for you in stop/go traffic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom