Which Winch Wenches? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I couldn't resist.

My last three trucks have gotten a Tigershark 9500SR - I've usually paid about $500 for those. (Land Rover Disco 1, Jeep Rubicon, 4runner trail)
The price has gone up a bit, but I found an 11500SR on amazon but it arrived with a freakin 9500 in the box, so that's gone back.

Pricing seems to have drifted a bit, so I figured I'd ask here. The 100s are a bit heavier, so I was thinking that I'd want something bigger than my go to 9500.

What size/model/brand of winch do you have and do you like it?

I'm finding the pricing on the Warn EVO's to be pretty reasonable...

I decided to get a 8274 warn and mod it. The things are beasts and with upgrades will do way more than 8klbs.

I decided to get a 8274 warn and mod it. The things are beasts and with upgrades will do way more than 8klbs.
Just curious.......how you going to mount that on the front of a 100? Never seen it done.

Just curious.......how you going to mount that on the front of a 100? Never seen it done.

Mounting will be a bit custom, but I don't mind modding the arb, it came with the truck and I already dinged it a bit.

When you mistakenly get a wench bumper instead of a winch bumper...
Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 02.35.14 PM Dec.08.19.png

And, clearly, I had to show Heeps because a Land Cruiser owner would not make such mistakes... ;)

My personal favorite of all the winches I have ever had or used. And you're right, with a few upgrades they will pull way more than 8,000 lbs. Have not found anything that mine will not pull, as long as I can keep my 40 anchored from moving.

My personal favorite of all the winches I have ever had or used. And you're right, with a few upgrades they will pull way more than 8,000 lbs. Have not found anything that mine will not pull, as long as I can keep my 40 anchored from moving.
Yeah, I think that an 8k is too small for the 100 series, but with some upgrades I *think* I can conservatively call it a 12k unit which is perfect.
That said, I'm seriously considering getting the RED winches OX motor pack for it. They have an elegant solution for the bus bars and solenoid that would make a very tight setup.

You know, at first I thought you were just tagging the post to laugh at the title. Now I get it. *facepalm*
Ive seen one in action and I was impressed

Yeah, I think that an 8k is too small for the 100 series, but with some upgrades I *think* I can conservatively call it a 12k unit which is perfect.
That said, I'm seriously considering getting the RED winches OX motor pack for it. They have an elegant solution for the bus bars and solenoid that would make a very tight setup.

Not familiar with their stuff, but lots of higher hp motors will bolt right on. I used the Warn 9.5XP motor but there are others even more powerful.

The solution to the stock buss bars and solenoids is to ditch them all and replace with a single contactor. Much simpler, cleaner, and (in my experience) more reliable.

Oh yes, the old warn solenoid setup is a horror upon the earth. Single unit contactors are the way to go. Much safer and less complicated.
Right now I'm making a list of all the options, but the plan includes an updated motor, contactor, wiring and a synthetic rope.
My winch is supposed to ship today, and I plan on rebuilding it with seals, etc.

That's cool, hi @WarnerD9. To be clear, my feedback on the old packs is after having dealt with them in the past.

I've been enjoying all the info on rebuilding the 8274s, today I kicked some questions at gigglepin for advice on the modding front. The aussie boys have truly used, abused and upgraded the hell out of the 8274 over time. I find it telling that many of the modders have moved to making their own high end winches, but still offer an amazing assortment of parts for the classic 8274.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom